1997 Honda Prelude

Information Coming Soon

Overall

I will miss this car!

by Not a car enthusiast from Detroit, MI | January 12, 2014

I'm selling my first car, the '97 Prelude (with 123,000 miles) after 8 years of reliable performance. I'm only getting a new car because the heat core is broken and I need something a bit bigger. This car has been so fun to drive, It has a lot of pep to say the least. I have NEVER had any issues starting the car. Very reliable! Very easy to steer and parallel park. The drive is pretty bumpy (pot holes are your enemy in this car). And the cloth interior is very difficult to vacuum. I will definitely miss this little car, I had a blast driving it.

Attached to this car

by thaas34 from MA | January 9, 2013

My 97 Prelude SH continues to draw compliments based on its looks, despite the fact that it's 16 years old now, and has 201k miles. Honda certainly created themselves a timeless automobile with the 5th generation Prelude, back in 1997. Since I bought mine in 2008, it has never failed to start up. It has served as a perfect vehicle for commuting to school and work. It's good on gas, I average about 27mpg. It's also been the perfect vehicle for two-person road trips, as it leaves plenty of room for the driver and front seat passenger. Although, if you plan on making a passenger travel for an extended period of time in the rear seat, then you're probably part evil. The back seat is really only big enough for a small child, but works in a pinch if you have to transport an extra buddy. And, ultimately, the Prelude is not invincible. Undoubtedly due to the owner before me having a lead foot or something--a few thousand miles after I bought it I found out the piston rings were fried, which called for an engine re-manufacture. Many miles later my head gasket blew. It has cost me what I paid for the car to keep repairing it, but I believe I'm finally in the clear, and it is a truly magnificent car. If you don't beat on it and keep it regularly maintained, then you've got yourself an excellent car on your hands.

Perfect car if you drive like a nut.

by billybobjack smith from | December 11, 2012

The Prelude is fun for 2 reasons, the handling and the engine. Let’s talk about the handling. The steering is a masterpiece. It’s heavy, very precise and gives excellent feedback on how the tires are interacting with the road. The chassis gives remarkable grip and the car will EVEN perform lift-off over-steer in lower gears at high engine speeds! It’s a blast. Then there’s the engine. V-tech is no joke. It revs to 7500 rpm and at 5K the second stage of the cam kicks in and makes the engine very urgent and dramatic. It’s super reliable too. The one things that I’m less than happy with is the loud road noise, the jarring ride and the gloomy black interior. It’s not a comfy car, at all. However, all things considered it’s a heck of a car.

The Battlecat

by Thickback from Willingboro, NJ | August 13, 2011

I had a Black 97 Prelude, up until 15 hours ago cuz some chic pulled out in front of me.... :( ....anywho, I bought the car to save gas for $3000 with 250,000 miles on it and it drove like it was brand new almost. The 2.2L vtec engine was more than enough fun on a daily basis. When the vtec kicks in at 5200-5500 rpm the fun truly doubles! The car revs high on the highway tho and could've used a 6th gear. The exhaust tone was throaty but not over bearing. All in all a great car....Im going to miss my Battle Cat....

most reliable car i have owned

by truth from | April 25, 2011

i own tis car also ihtz very nice... i have had for more then a year without any troubles... the driving is very comfortable. economy wise is not too bad as its a 2.2 L so for me this ride is cooL

Engineering Masterpiece

by Discriminating Driver from | April 27, 2010

Honda got this car right. 5-speed version is an absolute blast to drive. Nice simple 4-cyl engine is a breeze to maintain, and needs nothing but stated routine maintenance. 195 hp is more than enough for this weight vehicle...this puppy gets up and goes like a cheetah going after dinner...it doesn't get much better than this. Sweet spot pricewise in a used vehicle right now -- why spend huge $$ on a sports car when you can get one of these in nice shape for 1/8 the cost?

Amazing

by Prelude owner from PA | May 19, 2009

Best value for the money. Great car. Get one. You wont regret it. Have yet to have any problems with it. Plenty of aftermarket parts to make it your own.

A Prelude to Die for.

by lude-lover from Baltimore, MD | March 11, 2009

Anyone who is a lude lover will tell you they live and breath speed, superb handling and classy looks. My pearl white lude with tan/black interior is hot on the outside and modest on the inside. Sportin after market exhaust and a ram air intake, my lude treats me right. the 200hp I4 is enough to earn some respect on the streets and the looks are enough to get the ladies. I'm happy for every cent i spent on my lude. Get one, your gonna love her!

Owned 97 Prelude for 10 Years

by Doug from Indianapolis, In | June 11, 2007

Having driven a 97 Prelude for 10 years, I continue to be impressed with the reliability, durability and performance this vehicle provides. 160,000 miles w/ original engine & manual tranny. Honda reliability is well worth the extra few dollars you pay up front when purchasing. Awesome vehicle!!!

amazing car

by Rabbit<3'sHonda from Perth Amboy NJ | January 28, 2007

A '97 Prelude was my first car & it is the most amazing car i have ever driven. It is a very good driving car although it is pretty much for the driver and front passenger. The back seat is small and will not fit large people. For small to medium sized people the back is adequate for short trips. The trunk is pretty big for a small sports coupe in my opinion. Perfect for grocery shopping or trips to Walmart, but you won't be taking it to Home Depot. The car has power & will show it if you want it to. It's quick, & handles very well, although bumpy roads are not its best friend. I would recommend this car to anyone, it's truly an excellent car; in fact I'm planning on buying my second one!

Featured Services for this Honda Prelude