2001 Honda Prelude

22 city / 27 hwy

Overall

Great Coupe from Honda

by Valerio235 from Abuja, Nigeria | July 27, 2014

I owned an Automatic Black 2000 Honda coupe for a month before I crashed it. :( It's a lovely car and my sentiments remain because it was my first car, my first love. I bought it from the original owner so everything was in top condition. It's a wonderful car to own if you aren't a family man and don't have lots to haul around or adults that will have to sit in the back seats. Pros; -Excellent fuel economy for a coupe -Great handling and manoeuvrability around corners -Really low so grips the ground -Rare so you get a lot of stares when driving Cons; -I've heard that the auto gearbox is prone to failure and is pretty expensive to fix (though I didn't use the car long enough to disprove this) -Back seat leg space is just 28 inches compared to some other coupes that boast of around 32 inches+ 4 inches may not sound like much but if you're 6ft 2 inches with long legs like mine, always having to pull the driver's seat forwards can be very uncomfortable. -The "lowness" of the car means that you will often brush the bottom plate over speed humps...even when you're alone in the car. Happened to me several times *Depending on who you are, this may be a pro or a con: The accelerator is very responsive so you have to be careful when you go for quick bursts. I hope this helps someone. :)

Pretty Good But Not The Best

by 01 Luder from VA | October 3, 2011

i bought this car at 130k miles on it as the 2nd owner. So far i put in about 4k miles on it and had no major issues(Taillight bulb went out lol). I calulated every time i fill up the tank and it gets 25~27mpg all the time. Which is right on the money of EPA rating. Cant really call this car fast, especially in today's standard. Pretty good handling for a FWD car i must say though. Car is flat with very little bodyroll during hard corners. All I'm saying is don't expect too much. You can find cars with better MPG, cars that are faster, or more reliable. But I do LOVE Prelude, and still get compliments from guys around my age(i'm 26). Im sure alot of you wanted or had this care back in your highschool days. Finally its cheap and easy to own!

A good value 10 years later

by anonymous from California | August 30, 2011

Honda discontinued the Prelude after 2001. It was not because it was a poor car. The reason was that it sold poorly and was replaced in 1998 by the Accord coupe. As well there was the Acura RSX, the Civic SI, and the S2000. It couldn't keep up with these in sales volume. The car is odd looking. However it is rare, handles well, was well regarded in its day, introduced the world to VTEC, and is a Honda. I saw the car sitting at a used car lot and said to myself, "that's a Prelude!" I bought it that very day instead of a 2011 Hyundai Genesis coupe, Mazdaspeed3, or Impreza WRX. To me the car is that special.

Value, performance, economy and style - all in one

by anks from Eugene, Oregon | September 3, 2010

Outstanding performance for the price range, backseats are a little small and uncomfortable, but what do you expect from a coupe. On the down side, it does tend to drink up a lot of oil. Have to top it off every 1k miles or so. Parts also tend to be a bit more expensive, then say a civic.

needs the manual tranny

by h22silverbase from New York NY | August 10, 2010

When i first bought this car used i fell in love at first sight (what 16 year old wouldn't?). Its sports car vibe and exterior styling really influenced me more than anything. Over the 2 years that i had owned it (and babied it), i had a bad feeling about the automatic transmission which seemed sluggish and limiting. i did some research and found out that the sportshift trannys were extremely defective and failed under 100k miles. Shortly after, the transmission gave out one night. My only option was to rebuild it for almost $3000 (anything less and you probably got a half a** job) After all the frustration i decided it was time to buy another performance car. While it was running, i loved it to death because of its looks, handling, and its motor. I enjoyed installing aftermarket products right up until it died (all that money spent and it died at 70,000miles...what a waste). Apparently, the manuals had no such problems, were as hard as a rock and lasted much longer. So here ar the Pros/Cons for the lude: Pros: Rare car, good handling, spacey front seats, easy to customize, fun to drive. Cons: It was fast in 97-01 but doesn't compete with cars of today (Its an old-timer) The auto transmission. No leather option. Cramped backseat (goes for any coupe). Premium gas(not optional). Heavy car and uneven weight distribution. Tires are more than average in cost. Heres the bottom line- Good first car for a kid. But make sure you can drive stick because the auto will be the death of you and your wallet.

An Amazing Machine!

by Zac from philadelphia, pa | May 21, 2010

This car is awesome! the h22 v-tec alone is enough to make me happy. The car looks great. Mine is Knighthawk Black which is stock from Honda, and it's the best black paint out there. when its waxed you can see blue crystals in the paints backround. All over an amazing car. Except for one major con: it won't move in any bit of snow or ice.. i need snow tires and you will too!

LOTS OF PERFORMANCE

by JDM LOVER from SACRAMENTO, CA | May 4, 2010

JUST BOUGHT A 1997 PRELUDE FROM 1ST OWNER VERY NICE INTERIOR AND LOVE THE EXTERIOR..ALWAYS OWNED INTEGRA'S BUT BOUGHT THIS ONE AND REALLY LOVE THE VTEC KICK AND HANDLING IS GREAT....

My 3rd Prelude

by 3x Prelude Owner from Albany, NY | April 17, 2010

I have had an 89, 92 and now just got a 01 Type S and I loved them all! They are excelent cars and great value for the price! It is a fast car and fun to drive but is also a honda and will last forever. Is a 4 cyl. so is great on gas. My only complaint is that it takes premium gas. Many mods if your into tuning but is great and fast as it comes. Excellent handling and is very fun to drive. I also like being so low to the ground. I would recommend separate snow tires if you plan to use this car during the winter. Great Buy!

Best handling sports car for your money

by Prelude fan from San Diego, CA | October 9, 2007

Awesome handling, especially with turns on the SH model. Very sexy, comfortable, and fun to drive car!

First Car for me.

by New Driver, New Car. from Florida | May 28, 2007

This was purchased for me as my FIRST car ever. I am 16 and love this car to no end. I originally wanted the Honda Civic, but as gas became more expensive we could not find one in the right price range. As my father came across this while getting his tires fixed, came picked me up, and had me look at a Prelude and 2 Honda Accords. As a teenager, obviously I went for the more sporty young looking car. And I'm glad I did. Also, I had my mother's word as she had once had a Prelude back in her day as well and suggested it over the Accord.

Featured Services for this Honda Prelude