2006 Honda S2000

20 city / 26 hwy

Overall

SUPER FUN CAR

by S2000Man from Manchester, CT | May 4, 2014

Always wanted to buy a motorcycle, but no way on earth my wife would let me. So I picked up the next best thing, a 2006 Honda S2000. Silverstone exterior with black and red leather interior. This car is a total charm. Super fun to drive. Handles beautifully, and those revs! my god those REVS are just a treat to listen to while the top is down and the sun is shining!! This car was difficult to find as the low mileage ones get snapped up VERY quickly, but it was worth the wait. Be patient if you're looking for one. Thanks to cars.com's email alerts, i was able to get to this one before anyone else did. The seats are super comfortable, nicely bolstered, the shift throws are short and direct. Steering is precise and tight (even on the 2006 model with electric power steering) A little difficult to get in and out of, but hey, you're seated very low to the ground, so you gotta expect that. It's probably not the best daily driver, as its very small, and you hear a lot of road noise on long highway trips, but this car is what the Miata, Boxster, Z3, and Z4 WISH they were!

Fantastic Roadster!

by AirforceJohn from Sarasota, FL | December 20, 2011

2006 Honda S2000. Both my wife and I love this little two-seat roadster. Realizing this was a Honda limited production run (1999 - 2009) to celebrate Honda's 50 years in the business, we knew finding exactly what we wanted would be difficult. But our Cars.com search prevailed and we found the light-blue color my wife wanted. We live in Sarasota FL and the car dealer was located in Hilton Head SC; so remember when you search for the exact car you want via Cars.com, expand your radius! The S2000 is a bit difficult to "fall" into, but once I have my size 13 shoes and my six-foot plus body in the driver's dark-blue bucket seat, I'm perfectly positioned to reach the clutch and the short-throw shifter is also perfectly placed when I lean my right elbow on the center arm rest. The digital dash takes sometime to get use to (I prefer large analog dials), but after awhile, you hear when to hit the clutch and upshift so you won't need the tach anyhow. Since I sit tall, I was pleasantly pleased with the headroom under the tightly-made rear-glass window convertible top. The unit unlatches with ease and once the emergency brake is pulled up, the electric motor quietly lifts the roof off and neatly tucks it away behind the bucket seats. The hard plastic cover designed to hide the roof and the exposed metal brackets is difficult to snap in place and just as difficult to take off; so we leave the cover in the garage 80% of the time. Once on though, the true nature of the car shines. The streamline design is absolutely beautiful. Compared to the new Miata or BMW roasters, the engine behind the front axle design adds not only to the appeal of the Honda, the engine placement assures a 50-50 balance to the handling. Once out of the sometimes abrupt fist gear and clutch coordinating act, the gear shifts are almost seamless. The 237 HP and high torque launches you instantly thru the traffic. In the city, I rev up to 35 in second gear, shift to 4th and continue to accelerate until 45+ and slip the gear directly into 6th to cruise around Sarasota. Wow! What a thrill to control so much power in this tightly steering machine. It's so much fun changing lanes quickly and zig-zagging in traffic. The bucket seats are laterally a tight fit, but the leg room is ample for anyone 6' and under. When open, the quirky radio cover hits my right leg when I alternate from the gas and brake peddle and the OE AM/FM/CD player is the old-fashion dark LCD display -- which is almost impossible to safely manipulate between stations when you're on the road. There are dash mounted radio controls left of the steering column, but the radio display is very difficult to see. I recommend changing the audio unit to a brightly-lit newer design -- look at the single-DIN Pioneer, Kenwood, or Alpine units. And don't forget to order the hands-free Blue-tooth telephone -- great when your're busy shifting your little Honda go cart. The car was redesigned in 2004 and offered a larger engine and a more comfortable ride. The 2006 model added other upgrades (read all the chronological list of changes on many Internet sites): The 2006 model introduced a drive-by-wire throttle, Vehicle Stability Assist system, new beautifully designed wheels, and one new exterior color, Laguna Blue Pearl. Interior changes included revised seats, additional stereo speakers integrated into the headrests, and additional headrest padding where previous seats had helmet depressions and screens. So, if you're looking for a S2000 I strongly recommend purchasing a 2006 and later year. The 2007 to 2009 base models were essentially clones of the '06. I know the EPA lists the mpg as around 22/28 city/hwy. But the estimate is based on hard typical sports car-like driving. If you smoothly accelerate around town, you should average around 28 to 30 in the city and over 35 on the highway. I'm using Mobil 1 synthetic oil which I'm sure helps. We love the car! Previously, I've owned a Porche 924 and a Nissan 300ZX and I wouldn't trade our newer S2000 for either one! The Honda reliability history is great, so don't hesitate to purchase a higher-mileage car (check out the CarFax). I recommend again a 2006 and later model. Good luck shopping! JHM

fast'nfun

by Robbie from Finger Lakes, NYS | November 21, 2011

Purchased Aug '11, 16K, as new in/out. Fancy wheels, lifetime XM, Honda car cover, CD changer. $22.5K. I am 5'11, 165lbs. Fits fine. Have right leg & knee issues but have learned easy in/out access even w/top up. I could not do same w/Lotus Elise. I find adequate power & torque from 3500rpm up in 4th with major power from 4500 up. Much motorcycle experience helps in seamlessly working the gears to maintain power 'In the Zone'. Not the best daily driver but GREAT FUN in a purpose built sports car! I still have not listened to the stereo as all I want to hear is the engine and the radar detector. MUCH safer than the motorcycle while approaching that level of driving experience.

best bang for the buck

by practical accountant with a need for speed from Kansas | May 11, 2011

I have had car dealers in the immediate family for 20 years, so I have driven and owned a LOT (40+?)of cars. This time I needed low long-term cost and a lot of fun for my boring, daily commute across town. Love the 6 six speed although it is particular about exactly where you place the shifter. Love the way you can crank it over 7000rpm without the slightest complaint. Corners like it's on rails, a real blast to drive, get through traffic, and make people wonder what just whizzed by them. Also love it that it's a reliable Honda on the inside. Totally low maintenance that should run forever. Only negatives are that there's no cup holder for my morning coffee and the body style isn't all that hot compared to Mustangs, Camaros or even Saturn Sun. Most don't know that it's any different from a Miata, so get used to being underestimated.

Faster, Faster, the lights are turning red!

by Drop Top Dreamer from Nashville, Tennessee | August 20, 2010

The TR4,5, or 6 that never was, an MG that doesnt require a cousin who works at British Leyland during the week, the Honda S2000 is an enthusiast's car designed to perfect motoring and sized for a 1970's American. If you need that Frappacino, get an Accord. And some Dockers. If you want to know what the road is like, the state of your own driving skills, then this is the car of the Decade. Your hands never leave the wheel nor the shifter, the former because everything is perfectly placed if old school toggled, the latter because downshifting and popping up to fifth is good fun. If you like to drive this is your car. If you hate to carpool this is your car. If you want to escape back to a simplier driving age without the primitive mechanical, this is your car.

Wonderful Car

by A Little too Fast from Tulsa, OK | July 31, 2010

I purchased this s2000 a year ago and have absolutely loved it, it was my daily driver for a year and now it is my weekend car. You have to take the car for what it is, it is a high performance roadster, it is not extremely practical and not extremely roomy either, however I feel that the performance more than makes up for this. Around a circuit track, this is a vehicle that can keep up with a base model Porsche Boxter and BMW Z4 (an impressive feat for a car that costs over $10,000 less than either). The s2000 has good acceleration, great brakes, and wonderful handling. The handling is also very predictable, the limits come gradually and are what you would expect (slight oversteer when pushed too hard). The power convertible top is very easy and quick. I have driven this car pretty hard (for 20,000 miles) and have had no reliability issues whatsoever. Now the downsides: be warned that the tires on this car do not last long, even the owner's manual will tell you not to expect more than 10,000 miles out of the stock Bridgestone RE050's, and the car needs to have those sticky tires, if you put longer treadlife, harder tires on the car, you will pay the price and it will not handle well. Also, the s2000 is a 2-seater, front engine, rear wheel drive, roadster, so it will not handle snow or ice at all with the stock summer tires. And of course it is not too practical either, but that is what you expect when you purchase this car. I will say the trunk is pretty roomy for a convertible though, I can fit an entire grocery trip from walmart in it. Overall, for a fun car, or even a daily driver in some cases, I would definitely recommend the s2000, it's a shame honda has discontinued this model (maybe an s3000 soon?!)

My Dream Car

by Tom From Longview from Longview, Texas | March 9, 2010

I've wanted an S2000 since the day it was released. What's not to love? You get the performance of the Boxster or Z4 and still get the benefit of the reliability and low maintenance cost of owning a Honda. You have to know what you are buying. This is not a 3-series BMW or a Miata. It's got a wonderful, tight suspension that makes the ride a bit bumpy, but at the same time feels like the tires are glued to the road. And the tires are pricey. So best to save for them immediately. But there's still a balance with this car. It's not like a Lotus Elise where you are definitely buying a track car. The S2000 works just fine for me to drive to work every day and on great top-down days with my wife on Sundays to drive in the country.

Sports Car All The Way

by S2000 For Life from Clermont, FL | August 13, 2009

This car is fantastic. It is a perfect sports car. Put the top down, turn the radio up, and go for it. It will leave your competitors in the dust. The V-Tec kicks in and sends you back into the seat. What a thrill. If you don't love this car, you were probably looking for a sedan instead of a sports car. I can't take the car out without getting compliments on it. It is a shame that Honda is not going to make them anymore. I am happy that I got mine before they discontinues them. Grab one if you can. They are a GREAT stress reliever. Go for a drive!!!!

OUTSTANDING!

by Dee from Reno | July 10, 2009

I purchased this car 1 yr old from an older man who really knew what he had, but whose wife could no longer get into the car. I felt his pain in selling me this vehicle! I love this car. Always a car nut, I had sold a '66 Corvette to buy this and have never been sorry. I am 5'8" and have very long legs, and this is the most comfortable car I've driven. Yes, it is noisy. But, it's a SPORTS CAR! And an amazing one at that. I had been interested in this car when it first came out - had done my research - and I also know what I got. This is a true sports car for the sports car enthusiast. Fast, outstanding handling, love the sound of the revving motor yet very comfortable - feels like you're in the cockpit! Never had one problem with it, and it gets GREAT gas mileage (better than my Forester!)

My first S2000

by Love sporty cars from Alabama | June 29, 2009

This is a truly awesome sports car!!!! I would definitely recommend it to anyone wanting a sporty convertible. I started out driving a 1978 (new) Toyota Celica GT. I loved it. Have truly enjoyed sporty cars ever since, especially after I learned to drive a manual trans. Awesome!!!! I have had to change my lifestyle due to back issues and that is how I wound up with this car. I decided I might as well get something fun to drive and I did. The value of this particular car is extremely good to me because I purchased it used. It had been a leased vehicle. I'm not upside down on the value vs. what I owe. That for me makes it all worth while. My favorite time to drive is when I am excelerating up onto the interstate. WOW! I am also averaging 27-28 mpg on the interstate. :) I love the design, cockpit, size of steering wheel, wheels, powered top, etc. You only live once so go get yourself one!

Featured Services for this Honda S2000