2002 Hyundai Accent

$970–$6,242

Overall

Transmission problems & Door Handles Break Easily

by A Guy From Louisiana from Shreveport, Louisiana | March 8, 2014

I'm on my third transmission for this car. I have replaced every door handle on the car multiple times because they break very easily. Cabin noise is a major problem. If you take this car onto the interstate, expect to hear a lot of the outside noise. The car has only 105 Horsepower to begin with but after a few years the car becomes down right sluggish. It's hard to overtake on a highway because the car doesn't have a lot of get-up-and-go power. That said, I have found that if you drive slowly and stay off major highways, the noise and speed issues are not a problem. Just don't buy this car if you are looking for a performance vehicle.

Good Temporary Car

by An average guy from Ontario, Canada | January 25, 2014

Bought my 02 accent as an alternative to a gas guzzling truck. Started having problems from the day it left the safety shop. Left me stranded twice and nothing lasts long. Pros Good gas (34mpg overall) Pretty peppy considering the small engine REALLY good in the snow (would take this car over a 4x4) small size-(easy parallel park, squeeze into small space) Cons Cheaply made, parts dont last at all base models have no safety features, no ABS even very cramped inside. parts can be very expensive compared to domestic brands Overall, I would recommend an accent for a temp car, or a starter car, but REALLY inspect the car and make sure it wasn't abused, or you will pay for it. I love my little accent but the constant breakdowns make me want to torch it

ok starter car

by boby from ohio | October 7, 2012

drove my fothers and it sucked, it was bummpy,and stiff. pluse when it is past 100,000 miles screw it, the quality falls apart.

This is the best Car!

by HomerT6 from St. George Utah | January 14, 2012

I had a 2002 Hyundai Accent for about a year and it was the best car! I spent the past six months traveling back and forth between Utah and California and it handled like a champ! Did regular work on it and it worked like a charm and always let me know when things needed to be done it and it got great gas mileage. (29 in the city and 35 on the freeway) I sadly rolled my Accent back in December but I was able to walk away from the accident unharmed and in good condition thanks to the wonderful design that is the Accent! I am on the hunt for another car and another Hyundai Accent is for sure on the top of my list to replace the one that was wrecked!

Short term option only..if you like car problems..

by Car goes vroom from Dekalb, IL | November 14, 2011

I bought this car used with 62K on it. Many minor things started to go wrong with it. Car started blowing fuses, gasket leaks, and car lock problems. It seemed like something new would go wrong with it every month or two. Finally, the Death Knell, the axle fell off when I was driving it one day. The rods underneath it were cheap and they rusted completely through. Lucky I wasn't killed that day. Just terrible car mechanically. It lasted till 92K, and I owed another year of payments on it. Don't buy this car.

Excellent Car for the Money

by The Red Egg from Nassau, NY | November 6, 2011

I purchased this vehicle with 58,000 miles. It now has 61,000. Let me tell you that the gas mileage on this car is amazing! Absolutely amazing! I get 28mpg in city and 38 in highway. It is also a very comfortable car. This is not a Ferrari but the pick up of the car is excellent since its so light. I don't care about performance but efficiency and this car is simply phenomenal. I changed the stock radio because it warmed up and did not have an AUX port for my Ipod. Besides that the handling is smooth, it has a nice throttle sound, pick up is good, and brakes are excellent. My girlfriend and I call this car our "little red egg!" we love it!

Reliable & inexpensive

by Sixty2unibody from Eugene, Oregon | August 6, 2011

I bought this car with a broken timing belt. Repaired it with around $140 in parts and a few hours labor. Other than a few small problems caused by the previous abuse, the car runs like a champ and with 250,000 miles, still gets an average of 35.75 MPG between city & highway. I really like this car and since fixing the few problems, never fails to start.

Amazing Car

by sf from PA | November 15, 2010

I got this car after I got sick of putting money into my Grand Cherokee. I could not have asked for a better car. For being so small it moves pretty quick and still gets amazing gas mileage. I live in the mountains and it usually gets about 36 mpg going up and down hills and through winding back roads. I know whenever I need to be somewhere my Accent will get me there safely and reliably, which is much much more than I can say for my Jeep. This car is my baby.

Simple but does the job

by Nick from Jeresey | May 17, 2010

2002 hyundai accent gl. i bought this for my first car for really cheap. Its amazing though, and i love it. 20$ fills the tank and im good for a week and a half. Its not as slow as it looks, when you floor it, the car pushes. i beat a civic Lol. Anyways the cars nice, kinda a chick car though but for 700$ you cant beat it. after 70,000 miles my trans is acting up. 1st & 4th gear dont work sometimes. But if you put the car on Neutral and turn it off and on, it works again. Weird. Also the fuel tank when fueling up. i dont knoe whats wrong with it ever 50 cents the gas thing will stop and you have to keep pumping it over & over again. But its a great car, parts are SO cheap. i love this car.

Cheap reliability

by Jacee from Atlanta, GA | May 1, 2010

Let me state this simply. Are you looking for a car that will keep working so long as you maintain it -- The Accent does Are you looking for a car that does nearly as good on gas as a hybrid - The accent does (avg 38-40MPG) Are you looking for a car with enough room to fit three children and two full size adults - The accent does. The Accent certainly isn't going to be running any marathons (not too much power). But after traveling 205K miles on it and not having to do anything but regular maintenance on it, I must say Hyundai made a good entry level car. If you're looking for cheap reliability. A car that will get you from point A to point B relatively comfortably and not costing too much by way of fuel, look no further.

Featured Services for this Hyundai Accent