2003 Hyundai Accent

See Photos & Videos

Overall

good value and reliable

by J from Rhode Island | February 10, 2012

I bought the accent new back in 2003 and have had zero problems with the car. Besides the basics: changing the battery, a lightbulb, brake pads, and routine upkeep, I have put no money into my accent at all. I travel frequently and have put a ton of miles on it, and it has proved to be reliable beyond my expectations. The mpg this car gets is fantastic, and that alone is a great reason for anyone on a budget to seiously look into this car. While its comfortable for me, I wouldnt reccomend it for someone who is really tall or large as the cabin is on the narrow side and it doesnt have a ton of head room. As far as preformance goes, it handles well, is good in the snow (imo), and has decent eccleration. If you are looking to fly around, then this wouldnt be the car for you, but honestly, for the engine size it moves along pretty well and it still runs as quiet and smooth as the day I bought it. Overall I would highly reccomend this car baised on my personal experience.

Nice little car

by Cheapskate from Spokane, WA | December 4, 2010

I have never been let down by this car. I did have to replace the Korean tires and front struts, and get front end alignment, at 25,000 miles. Otherwise no problems. I do regret not getting cruise control though. My kids used to complain about not having much room in the back seat. The trunk however is as roomy as one in a much larger car. The locking gas cap door gives peace of mind about fuel theft, and the trunk lever and trip odometer are nice touches. A minor gripe with the heater is that there is no combination of thawing both the windshield and the driver's fingers at the same time. Perhaps surprisingly, after 7 years I have not had to have the air conditioning charged. There is plenty of power for my style of driving. It would not win any races but it gets up to freeway speed okay for merging. With our weather this winter, I might have to get something with 4WD. The Accent works okay in normal snow, but not so much in deep snow or in lumpy melted-then-refrozen ice.

Amazing car for the price!

by SouthernGirl from Louisiana | November 17, 2010

My dad bought this car in 2005 with less than 20,000 miles on it. In the past seven years, he has put 100,000 miles on it going back and forth to work. He recentely passed it on to me (at which time I affectionately named it Carlos), and it runs great! We have never had any major problems with it; only rountine things such as brakes and oil changes. I have the very basic four-door; crank windows and manual locks. It is without all the bells and whistles, but i love it all th same. It is still a very reliable car, will run for miles and miles, and is cheap to fix up. I would recommend this car to anyone.

I love my 03' Hyundai Accent

by Roy from | October 26, 2010

Never had any problems with it. I was even in two front end collisions and the car still runs like a champ!!!!

Cheap RELIABILITY!

by Jacee from Covington, GA | September 11, 2009

Bought this thing new. Had virtually NO issues with it. For me, the true measure of a car is, "will it start and run, when I need it." The short answer is, this car will. Now approaching 200K miles and this car is showing NO SIGNS of giving up. When I get in it starts and ALWAYS gets me to my destination. If you want a reliable car at a good price you should seriously consider purchasing one of these.

Horrible Car, Horrible Service

by timeforanewcar from Chicago, IL | November 19, 2008

I drove my 2003 Hyundai Accent off the lot with 16 miles on it. I now have only 55,500 miles on it after 5 years of owning it, but have had problems as though it has 100,000+ miles. Within the first year of owning the vehicle, I had to have the transmission replaced twice (and as a out of town college student at the time, this was incredibly difficult to do!). I still have had transmission issues for the last 3 years, but when the dealership test drives the vehicle, they say nothing is wrong. My cupholders have broken out of the blue, there is rust running down from one of the front, driver-side reflectors, paint has chipped off of both side mirrors and the handles on the doors have discolored from the original silver paint. This car is a piece of junk. If you are looking for a bargain, look further because this car will only cause you headaches and heartache as it has with me.

Best vehicle I ever invested in

by hyundailover from baltimore md | May 27, 2008

Paid a low price and am getting great reliability from this car. Well made and refined vehicle. Would buy another Hyundai in a heartbeat. 76,000 miles and no problems to date. Exceptional gas mileage. Car still looks like new and runs like new.

Most car for the money

by Love the Underdog! from New York, NY | October 30, 2007

I was so happy with the 2003 because the style of previous years was uninspiring to say the least. It's got a tried and true powertrain and is extremly reliable and safe. It handles pretty well for the bargain (if you take the overdrive off, the car really moves). This was my first new car and I made a great choice!

I love my 2003 Accent

by mimi from San Francisco | November 15, 2006

It's not fancy but very economical and low-maintenance. It's very cute and zippy. I might have to sell for personal reasons. I was planning to keep it for 200K mi. or for the rest of my life...

Good vehicle for the price

by mjkittredge from NH | October 1, 2006

I purchased my 2003 Hyundai Accent the year it came out, and it has served me well for 30,000 miles. You probably won't find a cheaper car ($11,000) that performs as well or looks as good. I test drove the Kias before I went to Hyundai, the difference is like night and day as far as performance, the accent, for $1,000 more than a Spectra and $2,000 more than a Rio, had significantly better power and acceleration. I haven't tried a Jetta, Civic, or Sentra so I don't know how the rest of the competition compares. It is reasonably comfortable, has a good console, decent amount of space, gets good mileage (25 city 35 highway, 30 overall) and handles well. My regrets are 2, one that I wish I had gotten a more powerful car (better acceleration) and two that I had gotten a more sleek, sexy looking car. But My Accent is good "commuter box" and in my trips all over the northeast I haven't had any problems with it. When my tire popped, the donut lasted 1,000+ miles. Other than needing basic things like tire rotation and an alignment (lots of potholes around where I live) it has been maintenance free and done a fine job for me. I look forward to it doing a fine job for many years to come.

Featured Services for this Hyundai Accent