2013 Hyundai Elantra GT

Est. MPG

26 city / 37 hwy

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Almost Perfect, but it's issue is a big one

by Mike from Butler county, PA | April 1, 2014

Ok, let's get the big one I'm referring to out of the way. Gas mileage! I don't know what it is. I don't know if it is the hatchback aerodynamics, the automatic transmission, or just some odd runs in their manufacturing. But my coworker's 2 door 2013 elantra coupe, manual is getting 36mpg combined without trying. My 2013 elantra gt hatchback, automatic is getting 23mpg in the winter combined, but now that it has been roughly 50 degrees plus for about a week (and I put the eco back on, and I'm driving really really gently) I'm up to about 26mpg combined. Now considering that they were claiming 30city/40hwy, went through that lawsuit, and changed it to 26city/37hwy for the gt. I figured, ok, I should be getting around low 30s given about 50/50 city/highway driving. Babying it, again, best combined I'm getting 26mpg. And that is the shame of it all. Outside of that one fact, this car is perfect to me! The value, comfort, features for the money, style, roominess inside for this class of car. And it does have more power compared to others cars in this class I test drove. The only problem is that if I would have known the truth about the mpg, I probably wouldn't have bought it. I had a spreadsheet of specs, and top of that list was inexpensive to purchase and own, and really good on gas, those were the big ones on the list and I only got 2 out of the 3. So I give 2 stars on performance for the gas mileage, and 3 stars overall because I don't understand how in 2014, a compact car can only get 26mpg in ideal weather, with eco on, and babying it while driving.

10k in, happier than ever!

by Erdos from Minneapolis, MN | April 1, 2014

This little car has blown me away. I have never owned a small car where engine noise is hushed at cruising speed. It's bizarre! It's gone through one Minnesota winter with no issues. It was a horrendous year for snow and this GT handled it just fine. The side mirrors are heated! Didn't think that'd come in handy, but it does. The interior is top notch, nice materials and a ridiculous amount of passenger space. Seriously, go sit in it. It fits 4 adults better than my full size sedan did. It's incredible. The heater is insanely warm. I turn it just past the middle or I'm roasting. Which I thoroughly enjoyed on those -25F days we had this January. Even in that cold, with fresh air turned on, it heated up quick. I am impressed. Air conditioning is just as impressive, and it doesn't seem to bog the engine down much? I don't see how that's possible, but I don't notice it. My old compact it was like tossing an anchor out the window. I don't have the Navi system, but I do have all my music on a USB stick, which the car integrates. Love this feature. It'll sync to your phone, and play music through bluetooth as well if you'd rather. I ended up with the push-button ignition option, which I didn't want. But even that has been a pleasant surprise. Leaving your keys in a coat pocket is handy. I drive with the eco mode engaged and get slightly over 30 mpg. I drive more city than highway by a longshot, so this is fantastic. This is my first Hyundai, but if this is what I can expect from their vehicles, it will NOT be the last! I am very, very happy I chose this hatchback. This company seems to make all the best features STANDARD. You shouldn't have to pay extra for alloy wheels, cruise, or A/C. Any company that still does this is ridiculous!

dont touch this car

by ralphie from montreal qc canada | February 19, 2014

i saw this car and fell in love with it instantly, by the second oil change i had to add prestone . thought it might be cause it was new but then i started smelling prestone when the car was hot and every oil change i was adding ( not normal) so i brought it to my dealer 3 times with the same problem and they kept telling me its normal we cant find the problem ! tires were finished within 18000kms anyone that drives this car knows you couldnt do a burnout if your life depended on it ! gutless ..... i got a hole in the drivers carpet that they wouldnt change 3 months after i got the car ..... and now im having a problem with the electronic steering and still hyundai gabriel in montreal refuses to fix the problem with this car gabriel hyundai does not honour their customers or their garantees..... 60$ to fill up to full and im getting 340kms to the tank ...... overall rating on this car ........ i bought the lemon and its not worth the money i paid

Love it

by Franky-Doodle from OH | February 19, 2014

The car drives very smoothly; I haven't driven a manual in 9 years and this thing shifts like butter. The Bluetooth comes in very handy and the audio quality is quite nice for stock speakers. Love the push-button start door-handle-button lock/unlock features! Oh, and the gas mileage is just what the manufacturer claims, but only if you don't get push the RPM too much. No problems thus far.

Like the style plus 4doors

by Sporty from Hendersonville, nc | February 18, 2014

I really love this car... Stylish ,sporty and more room in it that I thought it would have... First car ever that the seat belts doesn't rub my neck raw.. Being short this has always been a problem!! Can drive this car and not be right under the steering wheel. Very pleased with my car at this time!!! Gas mileage is great!! Was only getting about 17 mpg with old car NOW-- averaging around 29..... In town....

Don't buy this car.

by lew from Montgomery, Alabama | February 11, 2014

Motor started making tapping noise at 3000 miles. If not garage kept and the brakes get wet they rust over night and make a terrible grinding noise. Moon roof is subject to shatter in bad weather. My local dealership says they don't have a clue about any of this. These problems are posted on the internet and YouTube.

I like this car

by Happy Hyundai Owner from Santa Rosa CA | November 20, 2013

I like this car! I cannot tell about the reliability yet as it is only a month old, but my family all own Hyundais and they all love them!

A fan of Hyundai

by Love my Hyundai from Michigan | November 17, 2013

Three years ago I purchased a used 2009 Hyundai Elantra and my experience was so positive that I decided to buy a new Elantra this Fall during the end of the years sales that many dealers were running. I have had the car now for about 3 weeks and really love it. It is stylish, performs well and has more extras than my 2009. These cars seem very reliable. My previous Elantra had no issues at all. Put in gas and oil and the car runs great. So far no issues with the new one and I don't expect one. Love My Hyundai

Do not expect to get 37 mpg

by Geno from Tomahawk, Wisconsin | November 5, 2013

I have13000 miles on the car with automatic. It rated at 37 mpg highway. the best the car has gotten is 35 mpg once, mainly 30 to 33, using miles travel by gallons used, oh the little liar on the dash always overstates. I check every tank of gas. Otherwise, we love the car.

best value around

by hatchback lover from Little Rock, AR | September 29, 2013

I love driving a small hatchback for my daily driving (I have a Suburban to do other heavy lifting). I bought a 2012 Hyundai Accent when they came out, but I sold it after a few months because it was just too uncomfortable for me. I have a lot of back issue and riding in a small car can be painful to me. So about 8 months after I sold the Accent, I came across a fully loaded Elantra GT with leather, sport suspension, panoramic roof, NAV, yada yada. It was MUCH more comfy than the Accent. For comparison purposes, I drove an Elantra GT base model with cloth and no roof or any of the other "luxuries". It didn't compare to the fully loaded model that I ended up getting. The leather seats are way less stiff and absorb a tremendous amount of the little bumps that caused me pain in the Accent and the cloth Elantra GT. I've had it for 4 months now and have put 6k miles on it. I really like everything about it except I am a bit disappointed in the gas mileage. My wife tells me I drive "like a grandpa" and I average just under 28mpg in mixed driving. I keep an excel sheet of every mile driven with fill-ups and actual mileage calculated, so I am certain of the accuracy (despite what the car's calculator tries to tell me...). I had narrowed my choices to a Mazda 3 Sport, Prius, and an Audi A3. Of course the Audi and the Mazda were more fun to drive (both are turbos), but the Mazda was not as comfy and the Audi was a lot more $, and the estimated mileage was worse on both of them. The Prius came in 2nd to the Elantra GT. The deciding factors were comfort and value. I paid $22,500 in June 2013 for a completely loaded Elantra GT with every possible option. To get a comparably loaded Prius would have been $30k, and the Prius did not drive as smoothly as the Elantra GT. I drove the Prius 4 times just to make sure. But $7500 difference can buy a lot of gas, so it just wasn't worth it to get a Prius over this. Plus, the interior cargo space of the Elantra is better due to the sharply sloping hatch of the Prius. The Elantra GT I bought is a really nice red with black leather and tinted windows. It looks sharp with the glass roof and upgraded wheels. Very good looking car. Stereo is nice. NAV and backup camera are nice to have. The steering wheel controls for the stereo/NAV/bluetooth could be better placed b/c I accidentally hit the buttons while driving and it makes random things happen. I do like the button that allows me to change the steering mode from COMFORT/NORMAL/SPORT. I use comfort in most situations, but sport mode is nice when on a curvy road. Makes it more fun without having to work too hard. The only other thing I did besides tinting the windows is to replace the low-beams with bright white bulbs. The factory bulbs are junk. Overall I'm happy. There really isn't anything comparable for the price.