2003 Hyundai Elantra

24–25 city / 33 hwy

Overall

Good Value

by Ace from Maryland | December 11, 2012

Excellant car for the money. I have 195,000 mils on the car and it is still runnig great. Very little ever went wrong with the car during the past 10 years. The engine is strong and just keepss running. My only negative is the paint is poor, and fading. I have noticed that on many Hyundais of that age period. Otherwise very good car for the money.

first car I have owned

by hyundai surprised from Miami | January 23, 2012

I purchased a used Hyundai Elantra_2003 on 2007. I was on very tight budget, so it was the only car I could afford for less than $ 5 K. It had 50,000 miles, 1year of warranty and lots of nice features (sunroof, leather seats, cruise ctrl, etc). I can't complain so far. I had to replace a throttle positioning sensor, the battery, a relay for the fuel pump and the timing belt (as it was recommended), but it's been 8 years of use. It still drives smoothly, AC is OK and the brakes are excellent. My only complaint is how difficult it is to change the front light bulbs.

Way better than my last car!

by low budget from Philly | August 22, 2009

My previous car was a used 00 Pontiac Grand Prix which was an OK car. So when it hit 95,000 miles I decided to trade it in. I was originally looking at Hondas but they were out of my price range and thats when I decided to go with a different economy car make. I saw the 03 Hyundia Elantra and I thought it lookd nice right off the bat. It had 40,000 miles on it and they wanted 7 grand, my mechaic told me it was in great shape and that I should consider buying it befor someone else did. It's been 30,000 miles and I haven't had a single problem. It has a 5-speed manual and with the stick it is surprisingly fast, my dad had to teach me to drive stick and even he mentioned how quick it was for a car with only 135 horse power. It took me 2 days to learn how to drive this car well thats how smooth and easy the stick is. If you see one of these on a lot I would take it for a test drive. The interior is plain yet very nice and good looking with plenty of room for 5 adults, I'm 6'1 and still have 2 inches of head room to spare.I average 26 miles city and 34 highway.

Very Reliable

by Nancy from Ashland, KY | August 14, 2009

I traded this car and it 98,000 miles on it. I never had any major problems with this car. It was very dependable. I would highly recommend it to anyone.

100,000 throw away?

by Natasha from Baltimore, MD | June 24, 2009

Got it brand new in 03 and it was wonderful. Great gas mileage, handled well, whole nine. When I was coming up on 100,000 things started acting up. Now, I've taken good care of my car; all the fluid flushed on time, timing belt/brake pads/rotors replaced, regular tune-ups, everything. Even after having everything tuned up, one day on the highway she just died. Heat gauge just jumped up and the engine seized in less than five minutes. Every mechanic I spoke to said that they call Hyundais "100,000 mile throw aways." Needless to say, I was very unhappy. The guys at the shop that tried to fix it for me even said they don't understand how it happened since I obviously maintained her. They didn't conveniently offer to scrap her for me, either. Just that it would be more to fix the car than to replace it. :(

2003 ELANTRA

by freelandfd136 from FREELAND,PA | May 26, 2009

Yes, i would recomend , they are great cars ive been driving one for about 3 years now. and its only issue was the clutch went but that was replaced. and it runs great.

Driven with over 168,000 miles and still strong

by James from Maryland/DC area | September 10, 2008

My Dad bought me my first brand new car back in 2003 when the GT HATCHBACK CAME OUT. I was surprised that Hyundai offered leather seats in an affordable compact. Over time i have driven it everywhere from back and forth to school, Or just wandering around town. The comfort i feel is the best. Ive had minor inexpensive problems is the past but still she drives strong. Now my Elantra has over 168,000 miles and she still runs and feels like a brand new car. Everywhere i go my friends ask to ride in my car because the way gas is now they cant really afford to fill up there tanks. Unlike me i get about 35 miles to a gallon and some times fill up about at 387 miles. I love my Elantra and i wouldn't trade her for anything else. I would recommend this car to any first time buyers. Sooner or later I will purchase The new 08 Elantra just an upgrade and show my Fans that i am a true Hyundai believer.

Great Car

by Falcon from Ephrata Washington | April 2, 2008

i get about 37 miles per gallon at 60-70 mph. it handles great on asphalt and on gravel/dirt. I drive about 85-100 miles a day for work and personally things as well. I am a big guy and the comfort is an issue, i have to put the drivers seat all the way back so my knee dosent touch the dash, but that leaves no room for anybody behind me... The car is perfest for my wife, 2 kids and I...

UNBELIEVABLE AMOUNT OF CAR FOR THE MONEY!!!

by Bob S from West Islip, NY | October 13, 2006

Probably the most car you can get for the money spent. By the time your ready to buy another car this one is still under bumper to bumper dealer warranty!! The GT has the added bonus of better performance and enormous cargo capacity with the hatchback (it's like a mini-stationwagon). The GT also has more appeal and resale value.

Best car!

by babs from SLC, UT | September 18, 2006

For the price... you can't fine a better car! I've had mine for 4 years now and I couldn't be happier with the value! Good deal!