2004 Hyundai Elantra

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Reliable car

by johbn from Sterling | February 25, 2014

very reliable car since i owned it. good price match which you cannot get it with toyota or honda. i really like it and recommend it to everyone

Drive, Park, Drive, Park - repeat

by Ima Commuter from Rural Idaho | July 23, 2013

This lonely 2004 Elantra was sitting in an ocean of 2005's in July of 2004. She was RED and had 104 miles on her. Her "sound system" was a cassette player (really!). We paid nine thousand bucks plus eight hundred and some bucks for blah-blah-blah. Brand new car for under 10K -sure, why not. I figured I'd drive it like I stole it for 59 of the 60 month warranty and sell it quick, before it died. I could not have been more wrong! I'm nine years and 100K miles into this little car. I don't LOVE it or even Love it but I love it. I drive it my commuter 35 miles a day in town and on the freeway with the other commuters (church goers and shoppers on the weekends). The 14.5 gallons of gas get me from payday to payday with no fill ups in between. The heater cooks my feet, the defog defogs, the air conditioner cools. It does nothing spectacular, the carpool never applauds the car and never whine about it either. This is the ultimate commuter car - news talk AM on the radio and a cool breeze (warm toes in winter) for everyone in the car and better than 30 MPG. This may be the ultimate commuter car. Get a good mechanic and have them do exactly what the manual says - no more, no less and this car will get 4 guys to and from work when it is 110 degrees and when it is 25 below. This is not a powerful car with 1000 pounds of humans in it, the guys call the AC button the "Turbo Passing Switch" because that is what I need to do to get on the freeway! 75 MPH takes a LONG time in my Elantra with the pool guys on board. One set of tires, one brake job, one battery and a set of shocks (lighter passengers could make these last longer) along with the maintenance in the manual and I've gone over 100,000 mile without incident. Drive it, park it, repeat - at $25 a week per rider I wish I could drive to work twice a day!

Husky's best friend

by Product Test Engineer from Rochester, NY | February 6, 2012

Leather seats are great for our husky dog who loves to ride in the front if its available. I am a 5 speed enthusiast and this one is flawless on the go. I have killed other great reliable 5 speed sticks two Corollas and a Subaru. I have a Buick century with matching miles and age as this GT. This GT is not quite as comfortable as the Buick but the sport tuned suspension, power to weight is great feeling like an underpowered formula driver. To my amazement this is the first car that had no pulsing of the brakes peddle. I just put in new brakes and rotors all around after 65000. I have owned it since 7000 miles. I drive it pretty hard; on my third set of tires and front brake shoes, that have all evenly worn out, no misalignment yet even though I do not rotate tires. I change the oil once a year or 10000 miles whether it needs it or not. Mobile One like no other oil does not burn up or turn black. The hatch back is great for hauling a bike or lawn mower and still closes. Fun is resetting the trip meter and watching the miles per gallon dash calculator go over 100 mpg in a long downhill or on the thruway getting up to 44 mpg with a tail wind easily. Oxygen sensors and a catalytic converter last years inspection, this year it needs its first battery and a hand brake cable to pass inspection. Cheep to keep and fun too and looks exactly like a Saab 93.

Excellent Car

by Riclo from | November 4, 2011

A few comments for something that was created for good. An excellent car for my family. I will try to buy another Elantra in the future, the new model is awesome. My family is a hyundai fan, and i hope my children do the same when they grow up.

Elantra

by Elantraless from Wisconsin | November 23, 2010

I recently traded in my 2004 Elantra for a new Genesis. The new Hyundai is everything I hoped for, but my 2004 Elantra was such a great car, I didn't realize how much I appreciated it until it was gone. The Elantra was not fast by any means of the word, nor could it hold the road as my new car. But it was a reliable solid car that waited to take you to work and bring you home. It didn't require much upkeep, other than the oil change and new wiper blades. It was something that you can depend on to be there when you need it. It did noting spectacularly, but it did everything extraordinarily. The Hyundai Elantra is an exceptional car, especially the 2004 model...

Very dependable

by tman from Chicago, IL | January 28, 2010

I bought my GT 5 speed used, but I have had absolutely no problems at all. It has enough power and average about 32 miles per gallon.

Great "first" car

by Devoted Elantra Fan from Tampa, FL | August 5, 2009

This was the first brand new vehicle I ever owned and I loved it. I would definitely buy another. It was a good feeling knowing I could always rely on my car (after having so many bad/run-down cars before it).

Solid Performer

by Driver from | June 13, 2009

The car isn't fancy, but it performs. There is a surprising amount of kick and pep in the engine. The interior is well thought out and the materials are not flimsy. Aside from the usual maintenance wear and tear (like replacing a headlight), the Elantra has not had any problems. You can't beat it for the price.

don't bother

by unhappy hyundai owner from Des Moines, IA | April 8, 2008

My husband and I purchased a 1999 Elantra and had a good experience - recommended it to everyone who asked. We're eating our words now. We bought another one - a 2004 Elantra and have had it for 4 years now. We put 53,000 miles on it driving it to work, around town for errands and the occasional short road trip. It's a manual transmission and we just had to replace the clutch. At over $1,000 that's no small investment. On top of that, we've had it in for 3 recalls and had the steering wheel replaced because the plastic started falling off where the sun hit it. The Elantra we had before this was a tough car that held up well with the usual maintenance. There was no need to replace the clutch in the five years we owned it. This one is a pain and we won't be buying another car from Hyundai.

Most for the bucks

by Race Track Safety Worker from Hallett, OK | January 3, 2008

Purchased new in June '04, have 55000 highway miles, get 35 to 37 miles per gallon, 5 speed manual gets peppy response with high rpm, factory Michelin ties were terrible, got only 30K mi out of them and rotated & balanced every 5K mi. Paint on rubber front chips easily and was not honored by warranty, power sunroof leaks and was not honored by warranty. For the money ($14,500 loaded) I could not have found a better, more dependable, sporty, sexy vehicle. GT.

Featured Services for this Hyundai Elantra