2013 Hyundai Elantra

See Photos & Videos

Overall

not as expected

by gary from iowa | March 16, 2014

I purchased a new 2013 elantra limited. the vin started w/5 so im sorry to say that it was made in the usa. I love the body style and the claimed mpg, that's what lead me to test drive this car. the test drive felt good except the ride was a slightly rough or choppy but I thought I could live with it since I really liked the body style. after driving the car about 500 miles I noticed the front end making knocking sounds while going over bumps in the road around 20-25 mph. I also noticed the headliner rattling (I have the sunroof). I also noticed a slight rough idle occasionally. I took the car in to get looked at and was told there is a bulletin on the front end but no fix yet and they couldn't recreate the problem on any of my concerns. since then I have taken the car in 3 more times and not one thing has been fixed. Hyundai corporation is no help either. I have also had problems with the bluetooth ocasionally not connecting with my phone when I enter the car and surprise, they wont do anything about that either. to top it off I travel about 95% hwy miles and I average about 31 mpg, no where near the 38 claimed. to be fair it is winter but I don't have much faith there will be a huge change. at least the problems I have are not mechanical and the car always starts and gets me where I need to go. just a warning, if your interested in this car take it on a very long test drive over multiple road conditions before you buy. road noise can be very loud over some surfaces. pay close attention to suspension noises no matter how slight, once you hear them your senses will focus on them and will drive you crazy. For a car that stickered for 25k I expected much more.

Ron Carter of Friendswood - Julian Carrillo

by Elantra lover from Pasadena, Texas | February 27, 2014

I LOVE this car and RON CARTER in Friendswood!!! I had a great salesman, Julian Carrillo who was very knowledgable about the Elantra and got us a great deal! Go see Julian, he can hook you up with a great deal!!!

2013 Elantra Coupe SE Manual Transmission

by Heather from Sunman, IN | February 12, 2014

I purchased my coupe used with about 18k miles on it. I just rolled past 22k and thought I'd give my opinion about it so far. I have seen plenty of reviews that knock the MPG and say it doesn't get as high as they expected. I went from a Ford Explorer to this and I'll sing the praises of 34mpg. Took a little road trip a few weeks ago and it was actually up to 46 for a while (granted I was on a flat 2 lane road behind a school bus for about 20 miles). I really like the updated interior. Mine does have the "leather" seats which seem more like plastic but having heated seats in this terrible winter is nice. I will admit that the car is less than great in the snow. I live in a rural area where we don't use salt, but sand. I've been stuck in my driveway more than once. The car weighs nothing and mine has a sporty tire. Had I of known that even with FWD this would hate the winter, I may have just went with the Genesis. Anyone that lives near a city, etc I imagine would do just fine in the snowy weather thought. Overall, I can't say enough good things about the car. I've had no problems so far and really enjoy the drive. For a little 4 cylinder it's pretty quick. Looks great, gets great mpg and has lots of buttons to play with on the drive. I'd definitely buy this again.

2013 Elantra Ltd. overpriced - Stay away

by Noname from Asheville, NC | February 8, 2014

I’ve purchased the Hyundai Elantra Ltd. because Consumer Reports rated the car well. It is not. I test drove five cars looking for a somewhat comfortable seat. The other cars were in the Elantra class. All other vehicle’s seats were very uncomfortable. This was the most comfortable... until I made a long trip. I just put a little over 1k miles on the Elantra. Went on a trip of about 600 mi. RT. I know the EPA/Hyundai MPG is wrong and it showed on our first trip of over 600 mi RT in the car. The car readout showed I got 34.1 MPG. The manual calc. that goes in my Excel spreadsheet showed 29.73 MPG. Here’s the currently acceptable for now: 1) The seats are the most comfortable without moving outside of the class size (for us). There are many electric (I’m not keen about electric) positions and one manual adjustment on the driver’s side only. But, after driving for a couple of hours, my back hurt, despite the adjustments. 2) For now, the dual control of the heating and a/c is great. The left and right front passengers can have their own climate control. 3) It looks nice inside and I’ve never been one for glitz but I’d rather have a safe and functioning car. The HP is @148. While I thought that would be okay, it isn’t. Driving local highways (there’s not much traffic compared to living near NYC) and around the small city, it’s fine. It’s not as okay on the open highway. More power is needed for me. It’s not about needing constant speed, it’s about having the pickup to safely merge. Driving 300 miles with all the seat adjustments, my foot fell asleep, despite the adjustments made to the seats. It seemed harder to press the excelerator. Here are my concerns that are known: 1. Interstate batteries were rated poor by CR some years ago. I had one that died after a short period of time in my prior car. I took a huge loss replacing it under their warranty. The battery that comes with the car is a two-year battery. It cut costs and this becomes the pattern that concerns me. 2. I ensured the tire pressure was consistent and 3 lbs. higher than rated on the door. We’re at a higher elevation than most and this is recommended for all cars here. One day before taking the 600 RT, I checked all tires and ensured they all had 35 lbs. cold. The day after returning (day 3 after filling tires) I checked them. One had dropped to 30 lbs. One other tire lost a little air. Two were fine. 3. The GPS received a severe error message in a grey pop-up the first time I used it. I happened 3x in 600 miles. It locks the nav screen and the only way to reset it is to turn off the car. Wait @30 seconds and turn the car back on. 4. There is rust on all rotors on the disc brakes. I've had the car 1 month. 5. The gas cover is flimsy and I expect it will break at some point too soon. 6. The noise in the sedan is horrible. One ear is totally deaf. One ear hears a little. 7. I used the GPS system for the first time on a familiar trek of 300 miles. The screen locked and a serious error occurred. The only way to rid the error was to power off the car. 8. The tires are Hancook Optimo 426 215/45R17 87H. In light snow, they don’t grip well. I could not get out on a small hill after a light snow. The car felt shaky on the highway. It was buffeted quite a bit and there was normal wind on the highway but the wind was not blowing. 9. The tires are filled with nitrogen. It’s worthless to me and I check the pressure regularly and use air. Nitrogen is rare to find and can be costly. Air can be used instead. 9a. Filled the tires prior to a 600 mi. RT . Checked the tires when I got home. One lost 5 lbs. One lost 2. The others were okay. 10. On the Ltd., STANDARD FEATURES do not include a spare. My car came with one – an add-on that makes sense. I can draw a conclusion that with other corners cut, the spare will probably not hold up well. Most Elantras have the cheap can of tire inflator. 11. You can’t lock a thing – not even the glove compartment. There’s no valet key for any Elantras. I have a little over 1000 miles on it. I’m pricing this car as a trade-in to get a different brand car.

My dream mpg

by greeen grandpa from Texas City, Texas | February 5, 2014

As I am approaching retirement it is important to me to have a safe and dependable car to use for travel and getting around town. I found the perfect vehicle in the Hyandai Elantra sedan. It is very comfortable riding car with Sirius, Blue Tooth, back up camera and other "basic" electronics. However, my favorite dashboard site is the miles to go before you have to fill up with gas. With the first tank of gas I received 38 mpg over all. This translates into more trips to see the grandkids and more green in the bank to take them places.

I like it.

by Peppi from S,E, Michigan | January 29, 2014

Scrapped the wife's old Buick and leased an Elantra. I didn't think she'd be happy with downsizing but so far she really loves this car. Now there's plenty of room in our 2 1/2 car garage for the Elantra and my Miata with plenty of room left over. The heated seats have become the most used feature so far. Too bad they don't have a heated wheel to match (I really like them). The car is reasonably comfortable for it's size and 29 mpg isn't too shabby either. She's only put 500 mi on the car so far and I expect the mileage will improve once it's broken in. Very good value for the money. The only gripe I have so far is that the headrests are canted too far forward so every time you pass over a bump the headrest hits you in the back of the head. Guess I'll have to turn them around or take them off and put them in the trunk. More Federal meddling into our daily lives?

Great car

by Grandmas car from Dinwiddie va | January 27, 2014

The2013 Elantra Limited is very roomy, and the back seat has lots of room for carseat and passenger. Very happy with gas mileage, quiet and smooth ride. I have never had heated seats before but I sure do love them on those cold mornings.

Terrible car

by CarDude from Milwaukee, WI | January 23, 2014

Glad this car has an extended warranty. It is bad in the rain or snow and even when dry cannot handle anything but a nice flat dry road, which was the conditions I test drove it. I really like the body design and the seating is comfortable but it has terrible rideability and suspension and when wet the car's brakes creak and grind to the pint it even scares passengers. Took it into the dealership several times so far and they told me they have many similar complaints about the car and brakes. Within the first 6 month they had to even replace the brake pads as they failed. Just a bad design, waste of money purchase and completely changed my viewpoint about Hyundai to where I would never trust them again. Sure it will be the last Hyundai I ever buy!

Best Car Buy and Value!!

by LG from Mesa, AZ | January 14, 2014

I have purchased 4 other Hyundais and love them all. This Elantra I purchased for my business because of the compact styling and gas mileage. I was pleasantly surprised by the interior styling with a great XM stereo system and ipod attachments. I get on average 32-34 miles per gallon. The only thing I do not like about the interior is that the cloth seats stain easily but the interior is very nice and comfortable. Recommending the Elantra is easy with the great handling and styling.

best gas mileage i've had in a long time

by Trish from Lake Charles, La | January 8, 2014

I love everything about my Elantra. I would recommend it to everyone I talk to. It's comfortable and good gas mileage