2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe
Available in 6 styles:  2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2dr RWD shown

Overall

Good and Bad experience with this car.

by Dan from Portland, OR | August 21, 2015

There is a noise coming from the waste gate in the car that Hyundai knows about and refuses to fix. Mechanically it doesn't cause a major problem. But it sounds awful and can give people the wrong impression about how nice this car is. Also this car has a sprung hub clutch which makes a rachety noise through the gears due to the springs. It's a wonderful thing to have to reduce the friction on the contact points of the clutch itself. But I don't believe the springs in the clutch are strong enough for this car which is why it makes that noise so quickly. Especially in first and second gears. Hyundai had there Field Service Engineer take a look at it and said it is a normal operational sound that the cars make after being worn in. Mind you I have less than 15,000 miles on the car when I took it in. BMW has these same types of clutches installed in there cars but they don't make this noise. I have also found that the Electronic Stability Control(ESC) in this car doesn't allow the transmission to have same sized tires in the front and rear. Tires in the front are slightly smaller. Which is what I'm sure many other people have come to find will cause the transmission noises and makes it next to impossible to execute taking a corner safely. I found this out when I decided to buy new tires for the car. Thank god my friend runs the tire store I got them from or it would have ended up costing me about $1800 total. (Performance Tires) Also the Electronic Traction Control cuts the fuel from entering the engine at inopportune times. I've almost died a few times due to this feature. Luckily for me I found a way to trick the car into disabling this feature by automatically: 1. Start the car. 2. Pull the 10a fuse. 3. Press the Stability control button. 4. Then place the 10a fuse back. I've also seen some reviews complaining about the turbo not working all the time. These are actually safety features that Hyundai put into the car that won't allow the turbo to engage until the car is warmed up. I have also found that you have to press the pedal pretty far to get the turbo to engage. Which in the long run will save you thousands in repairs or having to buy a turbo timer to give it time to cool down properly. Other then those few problems/concerns, I love this car. It is fast handles corners great. All around wonderful car for the price paid. Hopefully this review is helpful.

Great car for the price

by RP from Boston | April 19, 2015

I was looking to replace my 2004 350Z that was not doing too well. I wanted something that had the same aura, but with a touch more polish and a back seat to potentially cram a baby into. I picked up a 2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 R-Spec that was never sold, and got a killer deal. The car itself is awesome - it's exactly what I wanted in terms of performance and features. If you're looking for some luxo barge or have brand name anxiety, look elsewhere. If you're looking for performance and bang for the buck, with an awesome warranty, this one fits the bill if you can get a good deal. Previous year's unsold cars are quite heavily discounted - I got mine for almost 20% off the MSRP. :-o

KDM power 2.0T Part 2 Update

by kultureshok from Los Angeles | October 20, 2014

i wrote a review about a year ago on this car, so this is merely an update. After having the privilege of owning this car for about 12 months now i have to say i made the right choice for me. I have the 2.0T with the paddle shifters and to this day the car runs perfectly fine. yes i know 12 months isnt exactly a long time but i thought i just through it out there for anyone considering an alternative to a Frs or any other sporty vehicle within the same price range. My car now has 16000 miles and haven't had any issues with the power train or engine/cpu. Pros: Attractive exterior, its definitely a neckbreaker interior is always thought out well, (better than the G37 coupe). Good amount of torque at just 2k rpm, you can literally pass cars in any gear using the paddles. the ability to use regular, mid grade or premium gas. the driving position is great, everything is within easy reach. Cons: mediocre gas miles from a 4 cylinder, even if you try to lay off the boost. averaging about 23 mpg and that's with Premium gas. Some materials inside the cabin are sensitive and can easily scratch. Doesn't feel as planted around sharp corners. rear end stick out alot. and lastly weight. 3425 for a 2.0T is alot. I mean its not obese but definitely needs shed a least 250 pounds to make it more balanced. Overall the Genesis is a great solid sport coupe that has a lot to offer. Glad i chose this over an FRS.

Love it

by Lovemyhyundai from Lynchburg, VA | October 11, 2014

I've had my 2.0T Genesis Coupe just under 7 months and put over 14,000 miles on it. Obviously I spend a lot of time in my car. I wanted a Hyundai because I had a 2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS that i put well over 200,000 miles on and never did any work to it except timing at around 150,000. So far I am in love with my coupe. I have mild scoliosis and I can travel 5+ hours at a time without stopping, get out and stretch, and no pain. I get better than the expected mpg, around 28-30 in town and 32-34 on hwy, I drive fast and not at an economical speed. I read below about vibrations, I have had my car up to 130 mph several times, and 100mph regularly and no vibration, feels very secure & stable. Enough so that I am obviously comfortable driving it at speeds I shouldn't be. Very good on twisties for the money. My only complaint is the Air Conditioning. It works but it takes a while to get cool and definitely won't freeze you out like i like. This seems to be a common complaint. As far as the interior, layout for driver comfort is excellent, as i said, i spend many hours in my car and everything i need is within easy reach. Mines an automatic, i prefer a straight drive but the shiftronic is nice. Hyundai has a great warranty, several family members have now bought Hyundai sedans and are very happy. I definitely recommend. Genesis is a very affordable sportscar.

a joy to drive

by Hec46 from | October 4, 2014

had my 2.0 premium for about 6 months, never thought i would own a sports car, but the wife wanted one and I think i enjoy this car more than her. good power for a 4 cylinder, i would like the trans to down shift a little better, but over all a good car

My first Hyundai experience!

by rsalinas44 from Mission Texas | September 9, 2014

I've had my Genesis sedan since November of last year and have had it in the shop for a/c cooling problems three times! It's definitely a love / hate relationship with this car. It's a great looking car outside & in, but you can tell that it's not built like the M________z that it looks like. Now, my dealer is saying that, "That's as good as it gets". So I spent double on a car that can't keep us cool like a car half the price. Should've bought a N____n, you can literally freeze inside one of those. Hope that Hyundai will stand behind one of their flagship vehicles.

2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 track

by leh15101 from Pittsburgh | August 19, 2014

I am very unhappy with my 2013 Genesis Coupe. In fact I hate it. It has a rattle that the dealer can't find and Hyundai will not even address for me. This rattle is so bad I hate to drive the car. The car looks too much like every other Kia or Hyundai for my taste. The sound system is not great, and Hyundai cuts corners on the little extras. Like no power seat on the passenger side. No rear parking sensors on the track. Too much plastic inside, things like that. Hyundai has a long way to go before they learn what attractive means. I am truly sorry for this purchase. I should have gotten a Mustang GT or a Nissan 370. Stupid me. But this will be my last Hyundai.

Love My Rides

by Rena from Roseville, ca | August 2, 2014

I own the turbo model and just hit 35 mpg when I thought all it would do was 30 mpg tops. I was so excited. It just took my Like of this car to a whole other level.

Do your research first

by Unhappy from | July 22, 2014

Like some others, I should have read up on these before I bought one. I purchased a 2011 3.8 Grand Touring with a little less than 40,000 miles on it in 2013. Immediately I felt a vibration coming from the rear end once I passed the 75 mph mark. I took it back and Hyundai of course blamed the tires, so I replaced them. The tech drove it and said he still feels the vibration as well so we call in some Hyundai certified tech to drive it and he tells me the vibration is normal! Needless to say after months of fighting and ruining a brand new set of tires, Hyundai will not acknowledge the problem and I am stuck with it. Buyer beware.

Very nice for the money

by genesistexas from San Antonio, TX | July 16, 2014

Bought new 2013 Genesis 3.8 Track with 6speed manual with 46 miles on odometer. Got excellent deal because it was left over. Car performs great. Dealer services were excellent. Acceleration and performance are very good. Front seat comfort excellent. Back seat only good for children. At the price I paid excellent value. Hyundai definitely has stepped up since there previous models. Only down is gas milage which may be more a result of my heavy right foot than anything else.