2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Starting MSRP

Overall

KDM power 2.0T Part 2 Update

by kultureshok from Los Angeles | October 20, 2014

i wrote a review about a year ago on this car, so this is merely an update. After having the privilege of owning this car for about 12 months now i have to say i made the right choice for me. I have the 2.0T with the paddle shifters and to this day the car runs perfectly fine. yes i know 12 months isnt exactly a long time but i thought i just through it out there for anyone considering an alternative to a Frs or any other sporty vehicle within the same price range. My car now has 16000 miles and haven't had any issues with the power train or engine/cpu. Pros: Attractive exterior, its definitely a neckbreaker interior is always thought out well, (better than the G37 coupe). Good amount of torque at just 2k rpm, you can literally pass cars in any gear using the paddles. the ability to use regular, mid grade or premium gas. the driving position is great, everything is within easy reach. Cons: mediocre gas miles from a 4 cylinder, even if you try to lay off the boost. averaging about 23 mpg and that's with Premium gas. Some materials inside the cabin are sensitive and can easily scratch. Doesn't feel as planted around sharp corners. rear end stick out alot. and lastly weight. 3425 for a 2.0T is alot. I mean its not obese but definitely needs shed a least 250 pounds to make it more balanced. Overall the Genesis is a great solid sport coupe that has a lot to offer. Glad i chose this over an FRS.

Love it

by Lovemyhyundai from Lynchburg, VA | October 11, 2014

I've had my 2.0T Genesis Coupe just under 7 months and put over 14,000 miles on it. Obviously I spend a lot of time in my car. I wanted a Hyundai because I had a 2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS that i put well over 200,000 miles on and never did any work to it except timing at around 150,000. So far I am in love with my coupe. I have mild scoliosis and I can travel 5+ hours at a time without stopping, get out and stretch, and no pain. I get better than the expected mpg, around 28-30 in town and 32-34 on hwy, I drive fast and not at an economical speed. I read below about vibrations, I have had my car up to 130 mph several times, and 100mph regularly and no vibration, feels very secure & stable. Enough so that I am obviously comfortable driving it at speeds I shouldn't be. Very good on twisties for the money. My only complaint is the Air Conditioning. It works but it takes a while to get cool and definitely won't freeze you out like i like. This seems to be a common complaint. As far as the interior, layout for driver comfort is excellent, as i said, i spend many hours in my car and everything i need is within easy reach. Mines an automatic, i prefer a straight drive but the shiftronic is nice. Hyundai has a great warranty, several family members have now bought Hyundai sedans and are very happy. I definitely recommend. Genesis is a very affordable sportscar.

a joy to drive

by Hec46 from | October 4, 2014

had my 2.0 premium for about 6 months, never thought i would own a sports car, but the wife wanted one and I think i enjoy this car more than her. good power for a 4 cylinder, i would like the trans to down shift a little better, but over all a good car

My first Hyundai experience!

by rsalinas44 from Mission Texas | September 9, 2014

I've had my Genesis sedan since November of last year and have had it in the shop for a/c cooling problems three times! It's definitely a love / hate relationship with this car. It's a great looking car outside & in, but you can tell that it's not built like the M________z that it looks like. Now, my dealer is saying that, "That's as good as it gets". So I spent double on a car that can't keep us cool like a car half the price. Should've bought a N____n, you can literally freeze inside one of those. Hope that Hyundai will stand behind one of their flagship vehicles.

2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 track

by leh15101 from Pittsburgh | August 19, 2014

I am very unhappy with my 2013 Genesis Coupe. In fact I hate it. It has a rattle that the dealer can't find and Hyundai will not even address for me. This rattle is so bad I hate to drive the car. The car looks too much like every other Kia or Hyundai for my taste. The sound system is not great, and Hyundai cuts corners on the little extras. Like no power seat on the passenger side. No rear parking sensors on the track. Too much plastic inside, things like that. Hyundai has a long way to go before they learn what attractive means. I am truly sorry for this purchase. I should have gotten a Mustang GT or a Nissan 370. Stupid me. But this will be my last Hyundai.

Love My Rides

by Rena from Roseville, ca | August 2, 2014

I own the turbo model and just hit 35 mpg when I thought all it would do was 30 mpg tops. I was so excited. It just took my Like of this car to a whole other level.

Do your research first

by Unhappy from | July 22, 2014

Like some others, I should have read up on these before I bought one. I purchased a 2011 3.8 Grand Touring with a little less than 40,000 miles on it in 2013. Immediately I felt a vibration coming from the rear end once I passed the 75 mph mark. I took it back and Hyundai of course blamed the tires, so I replaced them. The tech drove it and said he still feels the vibration as well so we call in some Hyundai certified tech to drive it and he tells me the vibration is normal! Needless to say after months of fighting and ruining a brand new set of tires, Hyundai will not acknowledge the problem and I am stuck with it. Buyer beware.

Very nice for the money

by genesistexas from San Antonio, TX | July 16, 2014

Bought new 2013 Genesis 3.8 Track with 6speed manual with 46 miles on odometer. Got excellent deal because it was left over. Car performs great. Dealer services were excellent. Acceleration and performance are very good. Front seat comfort excellent. Back seat only good for children. At the price I paid excellent value. Hyundai definitely has stepped up since there previous models. Only down is gas milage which may be more a result of my heavy right foot than anything else.

A blast if it worked

by JoshR from Richmond VA | July 6, 2014

I'll get right to the point, I own 2 genesis coupes which i bought a week apart. a 2011 2.0T and a 2013 3.8. Both cars have manual transmissions and the R Spec trim. the 2.0 had 30k miles on it and it grinds into 5th gear which everyone apparently knows including hyundai. The 2013 had 30 miles on it, drove it for a day and started noticing a clunk from the rear end. This model is known for having loose bolts in the differential mounts and subframe. I cant recommend this car to anyone because of several known serious mechanical problems that i was unaware of until after i purchased. Everything else is fantastic but hyundai needs to get its mechanical issues under control and come up with a fix.

Great Car for the Price

by Coupe Owner from Tampa, FL | June 18, 2014

I bought the 2013 3.8 Track Model with the 8-speed transmission. I really only have one minor complaint about the car's drivetrain and that is the manual mode for shifting with this transmission can be a little slow to shift and doesn't let you downshift as quickly as I might like. In automatic mode, the shifts are smooth as silk. It has plenty of power, the steering feels great, the Brembo brakes are stellar and the features (Nav, Leather, Sunroof, Infinity Sound System, Cruise, Automatic Climate Control, 350 hp, 290 lb-ft of torque, adjustable suspension, Brembo Brakes power driver's seat, power windows, HomeLink, and the list goes on) offered are awesome for a car in this price range. Also, build quality is really good. The car feels very solid and well put together. Unlike other cars in this price range, the materials don't feel brittle and cheap. Also, if you are a visceral person, the sound that the 3.8 makes is magical when you put your foot down. I don't drive with kid gloves and still manage to get 21-24 MPG on average. I have not had any issues with reliability (currently at about 16,000 miles and a little over a year old). The only time it was in the shop other than normal scheduled maintenance was when I damaged the splash guard pulling too far over a parking curb with an extra long piece of rebar sticking up. It's comfortable to drive on both long and short trips, even with the sports seats (which I might add keep you nicely tucked in the seat even when turning hard). The only other complaint I have is that the roof is extremely short in the back seat. Do not expect any passenger over about 5' 6" or so to be able to comfortably sit in the back seat.