2015 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

16 city / 24 hwy

Overall

Performance Super Bargain

by tonywa from Performance Super Bartqin | September 3, 2015

Just spent several days in a friend's 2014 3,8L R-Spec manual coupe carving mountain roads (Tail of the Dragon, Rattler, Cherhola Skyway, and many, many unnamed mountain back roads in the Smokies), The car was an absolute pleasure to drive. It has great torque, much better handling than expected (belying its weight), great braking from the Brembos (smooth and even). The car had 12K miles and was modded with a short shifter (which was needed) and a catback exhaust. I found the car completely livable on the interstate and very willing in the twisties. I think its a great car at a bargain price. You would be hard pressed to get a more practical performance coupe under 50K and these are available at 28K right now...... . For perspective, I own a Lotus Elan, an Austin Healey bugeye Sprite, a heavily modded R53 MINI and have owned a Lotus Elise, Lotus Europas, a Datsun 2000 roadster and an MGB GT. Hope this helps!

Good, yet terrible

by Sports Car Buyer from New York | July 22, 2015

Recently I took my time to look into buying my second sports car. Overall I was looking for something that looked aggressive, yet could also back it up and not break while doing so. I drove multiple genesis coupes, 3 in total I believe. In my drives I found that the genesis was very comfortable for a sports car. Although the engine makes roughly 350bhp, It sure didn't feel like it. It felt like it was always waiting for something to kick in. I found the 8 speed semi-manual to be slow and unresponsive. The manual was a manual, it didn't liven it up much. I even would say I preferred the auto over it. All in all I was dissapointed. It isn't as nimble, or as fast as it looks to be. The interior was almost all plastic which really dissapointed me. It was certainly a looker from the outside though. In the end, after about 3 months of searching, i went with a 2016 Subaru WRX. More reliable, more nimble, and still fast enough to do whatever your heart desires.

Wife's Play Toy

by Not a Car Guy from Houston, Texas | February 20, 2015

I'm not a car person. I just wanted to make that point clear. My wife has been driving kid cars (Caravans, Ford Flex) since our girls were young. (Now 24 and 26) I wanted here to get something fun to drive, she wanted a manual transmission, I didn't want to spend a lot of money. We looked at the Subaru, Scion and Genesis versions of coupes, and the power of the Hyundai won us over. For the car enthusiast, I think the handling of the Subaru and Scion are an advantage. For the person that drives a few miles a day, but occasionally likes to punch it, I don't think you can beat having 348 hp under the hood. I love the car.