2003 Hyundai Santa Fe

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Powerful and Safe

by River Addict from California | January 2, 2014

I loved my 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe. I bought it used and beaten up, but gave it some TLC and it turned out to be a wonderful car. I have 4 big dogs and I go to the river 1-2 times a week to exercise them. The cloth interior of the car was the most manageable I have experienced in any other car I've had. The fur just vacuumed off. When I would go to the river, I would go off road and the 4WD was awesome and powerful. I didn't play with it, I simply drove over rocks and dirt to get to my secluded river spot. I was just in an accident involving a Ford Fusion rear-ending my Hyundai at 45 mph into a Dodge Durango that was turning. My Hyundai was totaled, but I came out of it with just scratches. The front of my car and trunk were smashed and 3 out of 4 doors dented, but inside the front and back seats were in perfect condition. I know that if I had had any passengers in the car they would have been just as okay as me. It's really comforting to know. Thank you, Hyundai.

Uses car for Off-roading

Don't buy a Sante Fe

by zlo3d2 from Morgantown, WV | July 20, 2012

I have had this car for 6 years. I bought it used in 2006. I have replaced the brake pads and rotars (front and back) 3 times in the past three years. Something is wrong with that. Because of the poorly made brakes, I have had to replace my tires more often then usual for this area. Last year, a recal came out explaining that this specific year and model rusts extremely easy in the snowy climates (I'm in West virginia) because of the salt used to clear the roads. It recommended taking it in to the local dealership to have them inspect to see if there was any show of rust in the undercarraige. The dealership said no, and that I wouldn't be eligible to take part in the recall. Today, I took my car in to a local car shop because of the strange noises it's been making lately (praying that I wouldn't have to get my brake pads and rotars replaced AGAIN) and they told me the entire undercarraige is rusted out and would have to be replaced for around $1500. No way am I dumping more money into this car. I love the comfort level within the car. It definitely has the best interior or any car I have owned, but putting thousands of dollars into a used car every year is not ok with me. My husband has a Hyundai Sonata that has had similar brake problems as well. We will not buy Hyundai anymore. Seems to be a trend. The style is great, but be prepared to pour your cash into your local maintenance shop with a Hyundai.

Extremely reliable commuting car!

by The Louman from Lake Grove, NY | November 14, 2011

I travel 45 miles to Queens NY...the suspension is great, gas mileage is a very respectable 24 miles per galon HWY. roomy for carpools, great auto! I also own a 2008 santa fe!!

A great car to get family & personal things done

by Mr. Mom from Kew Gardens, NY | October 7, 2011

If you need a car with a great engine. This is the one to drive. I recommend this car for the roomy interior. When you test drive it you will love it!

Not bad not great

by Krystal from Grand Junction, CO | August 23, 2011

I bought this car used and got what I thought was a great deal, but soon found out that it wasn't what I thought. The dealer told me that the a/c just needed charged but when I took it in I found out that the compressor is cracked= $2000! Needless to say I was not going to shell that out for a car I paid only $9000 for! With in the 1st 2 years of owning it I put almost $1500 into it without fixing the a/c. Aside from that, it has been a great car that is fairly reliable, I live in Colorado and it handles great in the snow and I don't even have any of the fancy handling. But in the long run, not a bad suv because it drives like a car and gets great gas milage.

Great SUV and super price

by Chenango landowner from Long Island, NY | May 18, 2011

Bought my 2003 Sante Fe base model- 4 cylinder and manual transmission - back in Dec. 2010 and It had 74,000 miles and cost me $5400 !!! Never will I buy a new car ever again ! This SUV is absolutly perfect inside and out and it was inspected and no problems at all. It even had the timing belt replaced at 60,000 miles which saved me $300. Nobody wants manual transmission anymore and everybody wants power, so I got this SUV way below what its really worth. I got this SUV to go up to my hunting property upstate and I'll be towing a small trailer with a small load and I'll be towing a 16 foot aluminum boat on another trailer, I don't need a super charged engine to do this kind of trailering. This SUV is very nice inside, nice speakers and cd player and all the controls are easy to reach and use.Outside its got a very nice design , looks great and it has a roof rack , nice ! Can't go wrong for $5400 , This SUV had absoultly nothing wrong with it . I was hesitant to buy from a used car dealer and for some reason he wouldn't let me have it inspected ? but it was inspected after I bought it and all is fine. Really lucked out on this one.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Santa Fe

by Santa Fe lover from Virginia | April 29, 2011

I purchased my 2003 Santa Fe brand new, February 2003 with the intention of driving it until it rotted off the frame! 8+ years later I still love it! Though I was never really a fan of the exterior appearance, it was recommended to me for all the features I was looking for. I researched it, test drove it and that was it, I fell in love...I no longer cared what it looked like. Over the years the look grew on me and I can't imagine driving anything else! It has a nice, smooth, quiet, comfortable ride, spacious back seat with lots of leg room, and I can load it up with large items...the cargo space fits much more than you can imagine! It was rated very high on safety but best of all, it has been incredibly reliable. I have never had any major problem and it has ~130,000 miles on it. I have had to change the tires once as well as the brakes one time for both front and back. The A/C compressor needed to be replaced last summer with the condenser needing to be replaced now. Again, it's 8+ years old, so I'm not complaining! I hope to have my Santa Fe for another eight years!

best vehicle I have had

by cozycottage from Little Rock, AR | December 31, 2010

I bought used in 2004 with 23000 miles. I never have to take it in. At 150,000 miles I finally had to replace the original battery... this year I also had to fix the air conditioner. I am not real crazy about the lifetime fuel injectors but I have said that I will drive this until it dies. I love it. 12-31-2010

great for a teenager's first car

by sicemdawg from North Carolina | January 31, 2010

I bought this for my daughter's first vehicle - it's a good size and weight, and the 2003 had the full complement of airbags as well - important to me for a first time driver. It has good pickup and enough power in the V-6 to get out of its own way, but the quick throttle tip-in on launch takes a bit of getting used to. It also provides excellent visibility all around - another important virtue since my daughter is short in stature. Overall, very pleased.

Great SUV

by Sales Person from Fort Wayne, IN | January 3, 2010

I purchased this used in 2005 with 45k miles, an SUV with more miles than I had planned, but this has turned out to be a great vehicle for me. In a typical week I cover 400-500 miles of territory and have been very pleased with how this vehicle has held up. I've owned this SUV now for 4+ years and 145k more miles with virtually no cost other than regular oil changes and routine maintenance up to the last six months or so, when I've had a few major repairs. Don't like the 2007 style change (bigger) so I'm looking for a 2006 with low miles to drive for another 5 years!

Featured Services for this Hyundai Santa Fe