2005 Hyundai Santa Fe

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Average Styling - Reliable Ride

by Another Working Man from Williamsport, PA | July 20, 2013

Purchased my 2005 Santa Fe as it fit the storage and hauling capacity required by my wife. Everywhere we go, at least one service dog and a wheelchair tag along. The Santa Fe offers sufficient room to allow a us to take all three large dogs to grandma's if needed. Additionally, I purchased a roof bag to haul that which just won't fit. The roof rack has been a boon on many occasions. The interior will allow for four adults to sit comfortably, but the service dog gets second rate status in the rear storage area. Unfortunately, we purchased the V-6 3.5L in a front wheel drive, so I don't get to comment on the AWD abilities. My wife loves the heated seats and has gotten to use the traction control and ABS several times. We purchased it used, as a clean one-owner 32K model from the local Hyundai dealer. Now with 100K, I should say that I am very pleased at the low maintenance requirements. It has used several brake sets and is due for another. The 3.5L offers plenty of power and is more than willing to spin the drive wheels if one isn't careful with the accelerator. This entry level ride is just that, but has suited our needs. The paint is starting to chip in a few spots, especially on the bumpers. At least plastic doesn't rust. Maintenance - As I change oil, rotate tires, and do brake jobs myself, it has been a cheap car to own. Recently, at 90K I have started to pay for this as several trips to the dealer finally sorted a running issue that cropped up. Throttle body replaced, for $1K was pretty steep and the last three months have been around $3K cumulatively. Don't you know, the cost assessment light is on again on the dash. I hope that these issues aren't the start of the turning point in our relationship.

The Ultimate Snow Mobile

by Lifetime Skier from Boise, ID | January 20, 2013

I have been driving to ski resorts in the worst imaginable road conditions for 40 years. Best handing vehicle on snow and ice I have ever had? My 2005 Santa Fe. I've owned a Mercury Capri, VW bug, Porche 924, two Jeep Grand Cherokees, Pacifica, Mercury van, a 99 Corvette, and and Audi Quattro. The RWD Capri was an impressive 8/10, the Quattro scored 9/10, and the Santa Fe is a 10/10 for slick road handling. What a huge pleasant surprise! Worst of the pack? The Jeeps. If you are not in locked 4-low, they are downright dangerous. The rear end wants to pass the front even on flat roads. Since you cannot go over about 35 in 4-low, that makes the Jeep useless. Another FANTASTIC feature of the Santa Fe is that it goes from dead cold (zero degree weather!) to warm in less than five minutes, yet it never overheats in the summer. Obviously superb cooling system engineering. The stereo is excellent; I normally replace the factory unit with Alpine gear, but this car does not need that.) Comfort front and rear is very good. The front seat is a bit high for a tall driver, so you will want the adjustable seats if you are over 5' 10". Rear and side visibility is well above average for an SUV. Highway mileage is very good for an SUV... I get about 20 going from Boise to McCall and back. It is one of the cheapest cars I have ever owned, and it is my all time favorite ski car. Hey Detroit... Catch Up!!!

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Great buy

by Santa Fe Driver from Atlanta, GA | October 4, 2011

I bought my Santa Fe with about 118,000 miles and it now has 130,000;it's had no mechanical issues so far. I drive about an hour and a half round trip for school and work. I enjoy my "new" Santa Fe a great deal. The car is very user-friendly with a great interior layout and lots of room while also being small enough to easily maneuver. I get an average of 22-24 MPG.

Great SUV, good looking, fun

by Santa fe mom from Mississippi | July 22, 2011

Great crossover. Love it. Very cool looking and reliable. Every family should have one this nice. More room than my Lexus es300

Nice but gas hog

by CommonMan from Near Philadelphia | March 11, 2011

The 2005 Hyundai santa fe 3.6L XL AWD is a very nice car. Interior is very roomy when compared to similar vehicles. I purchased this car w/ 105K on it and for being the 3rd owner I am suprised by how tight the vehicle is and how nicely it still drives. I don't go off road so I can't comment on that, but it did nicely in snow (deepest I encountered was 8 inches). I have 2 complaints - I've had to reacquaint myself with the gas pedal. This thing wants to take off at the slightest press of the pedal (although I understand there is an adjustment for this). The other problem is this car is A GAS HOG. Combined mileage so far (i've had it 3 months) is 15 miles to the gallon, (mind you I go about 70mph on the freeway because if you don't, you'll be run over around here, so I have to take some blame on this). I have yet to take it on a long trip, but highway miles are supposed to be around 23, but I have my doubts. Otherwise, very nice car and if the gas mileage were better' I'd say great car.

the best!

by longlife from Washington,DC | January 31, 2011

bought new in 2005. Have 100,000 miles and could not be happier. Good milege, comfort but most of all value!! Other than maintenance - no problems at all. AWD drives well in snow and rain. Have thought about a new car , but this has been so good to me, so I am still driving. Next one will be a Santa Fe and I hear great reviews about the newer models.

Snowbird's Answer to Flying

by MyWay from Mesa | January 29, 2011

Bought a used Santa Fe with 41.000 miles. Excellent value for the $$$. Nice to drive and I feel very safe in it. The larger V6 engine has plenty of power. Visability is really good and the best part for us is that it holds 4 sets of golf clubs! Would not hestitate to by another one. We have had daytime running lights installed for safety.

SUV I've always wanted

by suv mom from Ruston LA | July 1, 2010

Lots of room, confortable and great design. Traded in a small sports car with 5 speed and got a SUV with automatic.

high maintenance

by Toram from Ann Arbor , Michigan | March 8, 2010

I purchased the vehicle brand new in 2005 It was Hyundai GLS all wheel drive 2.7 litre. It was underpowered with slow acceleration at stop signs and lights. In 2009 the brakes started having problems at around 35000 miles . The full servicing at 36000 miles cost me 750 dollars . The dealer said the brakes were ok. Again took the car to the dealer and showed it at 43000 miles. They could not figure it out. By this time a complaint was lodged with Hyundai USA and I had to show it to private mnechanics . Hyundai USA sent me to Hyundai dealership again and this time they looked again. After paying 750 dollars again they could fix the brakes. Hence it is high maintanence car with lots of problems. Hyundai USA's has poor consumer services and would say you have to shell out money to get it repaired though the car was under warranty.

Not perfection, but sturdy and reliable.

by Converted to Hyundai from Stansbury Park, Ut | September 19, 2009

I said I wouldn't trade my previous suv for an ugly Hyundai. "Just take it for the weekend & see what you think" I was told. First thing Monday morning I made sure it was mine. Pros: More Power. Quieter engine. Decent gas mileage(25mpg mostly highway). Smoother ride. Handles well in poor weather. Ultimate dependability. Mine now has 85,000 miles with NO repairs needed. (I am pretty good about keeping the oil changed regularly) Cons: Not particularly agile. Seats need to adjust further for taller drivers. Headrests have to be removed to fold down the seats. Paint on the bumper chips easily. My next car will be a new Sante Fe.

Featured Services for this Hyundai Santa Fe