2014 Hyundai Santa Fe

See Photos & Videos

Overall

We Purchased The 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Ltd w Tech

by TDWIN2000 from Ft Lauderdale, FL | March 23, 2014

My wife was driving a 10 year old Toyota Sienna XLE Limited that we had purchased new in 2004. The van still drove great…leaked oil a little but still drove great. But, after 221,000 miles, it was time for a new car. We had looked at the newest creating from Infinity that used to be called a JX30 SUV. I think it 's now a QX60 or something like that…why does Infinity insist on giving there cars numbers instead of a name? Anyway, the vehicle drove nice but certainly not worth the money by the time you add a couple of packages, the SUV was pushing high 50K numbers. We looked at the Nissan Pathfinder but it drove too truck like for our tastes. We had really wanted to like the newest offering from Toyota, the 2014 Highlander as we knew it was being totally redesigned and had know for about a year now. Drove it and didn't care much for it. The only thing we knew about it was that having a Toyota with 221,000 miles meant it was probably a real reliable vehicle if it was anything like our van but the styling was SO boring looking inside and out. And, getting into one of them nicely equipped meant pushing numbers of high 40K's. So we decided to do something crazy (in our minds) and take a look at the Hyundai Santa Fe. Two years ago, before the major redesign of the Santa Fe, you couldn't even get me to look or consider one of them. So we visit our local dealer and he pulls up a black w/ black interior fully loaded with Tech Package Limited Santa Fe. First thing we noticed was when he pushed the button to reveal a huge panoramic sky top glass roof that stretched from the front to the third row…all I was thinking was WOW….very nice. But, there better be more to this SUV than a pretty roof. And, there was. Seating position was good and we were quickly on our way for the test drive. Steering was a little mushy but was able to adjust that with the electronic button on the steering wheel…a little improvement there. The nice thing about the Hyundai is the way they do their options…I think Toyota, Nissan and all the other Japanese brands should take a lesson from Hyundai on this one…a Tech package contains EVERYTHING you could want in one package…meaning that I don't have to take a package that is $6,000 from Infinity to get heated and cooled seats but I don't care about some of the other options I have to take. We opted for the AWD version and it had a few other little things on it like floor mats, a rear cargo net and shelf and mud flaps…all good things and not very expensive for add ons. The vehicle's sticker price was about $41,600 and we actually were able to purchase the SUV for a price of $36,000 plus tax and dealer fees. Now, is the Infinity a good choice…yes. It drove nice and was comfortable but NOT $20,000 nicer. Same goes for the Toyota…not $10,000 nicer. And, we got all the bells and whistles on the SUV…Blind Spot Monitor,, Lane Change warning, back up camera and rear parking sensors, HID headlamps, LED rear tail lamps, heated and cooled seats and heated seats in 2nd row, captains chairs in second row (which we really wanted)…now, it is only seating for 6 rather than most which are 7 but we were okay with that. Oh, and warranty was much better too (and hopefully I won't need to use it). I must say too….that HUGE glass sky top roof is SO amazing looking each time we drive it…it give an open and airy feeling and we just LOVE this vehicle so far. And, saving money over the others is a great feeling too. Even though we have only racked up about 1,500 miles so far, I would highly recommend anyone looking at a Toyota, Mazda, Nissan, Infinity or even a Lexus to take a test drive in the new Santa Fe Limited.

Great redesign that checks all the boxes

by Family Guy from Metrowest, MA | January 20, 2014

Having owned a 2011 Santa Fe GLS for 27,000 miles, we opted to get rid of it for it's lack of towing capacity, lack of a third row, and the lack of rear sear room for rear facing car seats. Times have changed and it was time to upgrade one of our two vehicles to a "family" vehicle with third row seating to both our kids, the in-laws, and in the future, our kid's friends and such. The 2014 Santa Fe is an option we didn't realize we should have considered until it was almost too late, and I am glad we hadn't already pulled the trigger. The 2014 is large, powerful, and amazingly loaded for what it is. Because we insisted on the second row captains chairs (a feature we were getting in the Toyota Sienna), we had to get the Limited, at which point, we just decided to go ,all in and get the Tech Package. The options list should speak for itself in regards to price/value comparison, but I'll talk more about the functionality of the vehicle as a whole. Towing capacity is increased to the same as our previous body on frame vehicle, which means the boat and large pop-up are not issues for hauling. The all wheel drive system is great on dry roads, and the locking transfer cases makes snow driving no issue (tends to track straight without the lock on). Because of the Limited and all of the options, the entire dashboard is a LOT to take in initially, making it downright distracting the first few drives, but once you adjust all of the settings to your liking, it becomes insanely easy to handle everything. I wish there was Pandora built in to the package, but we'll have to wait for an upgrade I guess. While there are many blind spots, especially when backing up, the camera and auto adjusting mirrors make it very safe and easy. Its convenient having a shutoff for the annoying sensor chime as well, especially with sleeping kids in the vehicle. A few of the negatives I have to speak about are nit picking really, but here they are: Second row captains chairs do not have a manual lock for the heated seat controls. Feet and hands tend to turn them on. The fog lights are not HID to match the headlights. There is no daytime running lights on this vehicle, which is beyond my comprehension. The ride is surprisingly stiff and loud over rough surfaces. The fuel efficiency is off by about 1mpg when calculated manually versus the onboard computer. The blue dashboard, for anyone with nighttime vision issues, is hard to see without turning the lighting up, which causes other problems. And finally, the controls on the left of the dash hidden by the steering wheel and are awkward to get to. All in, I give this a solid 4/5 star for an all boxes checked family vehicle. TONS of room in all rows, tons of features, and surprising fun to drive for those who aren't willing to resign to the fact that this is a grocery getter/kid taxi. We are actually kicking the tires on getting a sport for our second vehicle because it is such a great bang for the buck vehicle. Well worth the sticker price.

Pretty awesome vehicle

by jhawk 37 from Kansas City | January 3, 2014

Sold the 2007 MDX and was considering 2014 MDX until I drove this vehicle. For the money the 2014 Santa Fe was a no brainer decision. Like having the additional $10,000 in my pocket as well!