2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid

See Photos & Videos

Overall

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid-No spare tire

by Blowout from Suwanee, GA | May 2, 2014

One evening I had a flat tire and called my insurance company which sent out a service vehicle to repair my tire. Since the tire did not hold air and server person got into the trunk of my car only to find I did not have a spare tire. No one told me when I bought my car that a spare tire did not come with the car. I then had to call a tow truck to take my car to a tire store, but all stores were closed in the evening. I was not only out of a useful vehicle but had to pay for a tow and a new tire. I have never had a car that didn't come with a donut spare tire. I call the dealer to tell them I need to come and pick up the spare that was missing from my car. I was told they do not put spare tires in this car and I would have to get a spare from a tire shop. I have now called 3 tire stores and none of them carry a spare donut for the vehicle. They said I would have to get it from the dealer. And the dealer does not have it either. I guess I'm SOL.

Hyundai is cheap

by everyday driver from northern New Jersey | July 2, 2013

Purchased the car in 2011. The car did not come with a spare tire,it came with a can of flat fix.We are going on a long trip and i wanted a spare tire. Called Hyundai the tire was $90.00 and the spare tire kit was $140.00.Wedid not want the kit being we have AAA and Hyundai road service.However we must buy the kit because it includes the rim for the spare tire. How low can Hyundai go. The tire and the wheel should be sold together not seperate.To add insult the dealer said it will charge me $20.00 to mount the tire and install it in the trunk.SHAME ON HYUNDAI!!!!!!

OUTSTANDING CAR

by JUANITO from EL PASO, TX | October 10, 2012

PEOPLE WHO DON'T LILKE THIS CAR HAVE A LOT TO LEARN. WE DROVE OUR SONATA FROM EL PASO TO LAS VEGAS ON ONE TANK OF GAS! IF THAT IS NOT GOOD MILEAGE, I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS. THE RIDE IS COMPORTABLE AND THE STYLING IS HEAD TURNING. JUST DRIVING INTO A GAS STATION HAS PEOPLE ASKING ME WHAT KIND OF CAR IT IS. THEY ASKED ME IF IT WAS A LEXUS, I ANSWERED NO, IT'S BETTER. I HIGHLY RECOMENT THIS CAR.

Not really a hybrid

by hdhddenver from Grand Rapids, MI | April 16, 2012

The Hyundai Sonata Hybrid is a fraud; and the dealerships and the manufacturer itself will not admit or help with the problem. I have nearly 25,000 terrible miles on this car which gets just under 28 mpg in all conditions. It drags and stutters at acceleration and stalls frequently. Hyundai's response to these persistent problems: "our engineers are working on a fix." As to the persistent stalling, the dealership does not consider that a safety issue and says wait for a fix. Do Not Buy This Car!!!

Getting nicer since last October recall service

by Jay from VA | April 11, 2012

I've been driving this car since last June 2011. I love the exterior, interior and many features. Received a lot of compliments about design since the first day I bought it. At that time mileages were not good enough as their sticker mileage. Since i got a recall service on last November, dealer says they updated some software, mileages were much improved.. Now i can easily get 37-38 MPG. I hope they keep improving their software like MS windows do, and increase MPG , etc..

Great Gas mileage

by Conservative with a Hybrid from Orlando Fl | November 7, 2011

I am discovering the car, particularly on the highway, exceeds the 40 mpg mileage ratings. On a round trip from Florida to upstate NY I averaged 41.5 miles per gallon. I have found that the gasoline savings I am experiencing justifies the difference in price between the hybrid and a comparably equipped regular Sonata. Unlike most hybrids, when the battery is charged enough it will switch over to all electric regardless of the speed. You can be drivng down the highway at 70 mph and be in electric mode. Anytime the gasoline engine is running, excess power is going to charge the battery. At 70 mph I have found the car is on gas 2/3 of the time and 1/3 on electric. (It cycles between gas and electric about once every minute at highway speeds.) The transistion between the two is not detectable except on the display on the dash which tells you which mode you are in. I love the car! It just never seems to need gas unlike my Navigator that seems to need to stop at every station!

Best Hybrid yet!

by supercop405 from Port St Joe, Fl | September 26, 2011

Great look, ride, fuel economy, and room. I have a Ford Fusion Hybrid that I use for work, and the Sonata is so much more roomy, and gets considerably better gas mileage. This is definately a keeper, and what a stylish Hybrid, not your typical prius looking Hybrid.

Long wait

by eco friendly commuter from maryland | September 7, 2011

Aside from a blue tooth problem the car runs nice. I have improved my gas mileage by purchasing this new hybrid. Sometimes shiftling is rough, especially in the eco mode but good acceleration and handling. By far the best combination of car in the price range. I had to wait almost two months for this model to arrive and another month for the title to arrive. Great improvements by Hyundai in the vehicle, now they need to improve their distribution and vehicle management systems.

excellent automobile

by I am not a liberal from Milwaukee, WI | August 29, 2011

wonderful auto, will be buying a 2012 for wife... she loves to drive my car. Lowest MPG 40, High 42 what a gas saver... 3 months and 9,700 miles

Not worth it

by Hollywood from Orlando, FL | July 25, 2011

First off, the central console extends too far into the leg room. A much better design would be to block out the console instead of contouring it. As it is, it contours right to where the driver's knee rests, making it rather uncomfortable for drives any longer that 10 minutes. Also, the MPG computer over-estimated fuel consumption. Your actual fuel consumption will be 2-3 mpg less than what the car's computer tells you. Along those lines, Hyundai advertises 35-40 mpg, but I drive mostly highway miles and am seeing only about 30-32 mpg. I can get 30-32 mpg with more features in a much cheaper (non-hybrid) car.