2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid

36 city / 40 hwy

Overall

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid

by corvallis69 from Raleigh NC | July 8, 2014

I bought this loaded Hybrid with full sun roof, leather seats, premium color, and Nav system, etc. for about $31K with the sole purpose of reducing my freq. long distance travel gas bills and based on their bragging ad on gas consumption of avg. 40 MPG (local + HWY). But, in reality, the average MPG is much lower than what they advertised. In the city it is really bad and I get sometimes around 28 to 30 for local driving and it does better on Hwy around 38 to 39 MPG. Bottom line is that I get overall average of prob. around 35 MPG and not happy with it. Other issues such as jerking motion while shifting from regular to hybrid mode, low clearance between the road and underbody causing lot of hits with speed breakers and some times running animals! I wish I bought a Prius, but they did not have one due to tsunami in Japan when I was shopping for a new Hybrid.

SKEPTICAL ABOUT 2013 HYUNDAI SONATA HYBRID LIMITED

by VERY SKEPTICAL from Laconia, New Hampshire | May 1, 2014

Recently,I bought a new 2013 hybrid Sonata Limited with 35 miles. I think the car looks great, it's loaded with great options and should have a dependable 2.4 L motor. It doesn't have a sun roof or heated side rearview mirrors. For $24,350, I feel as if I got a fair deal. Although car reviews mention several good options/features, unfortunately, they don't give it much more than average review and ratings. For example: while the car's stopped, it's power conversion from electric to gas is delayed much more than other hybrids. The car also has an odd brake feeling giving you too much stopping at light pressure and not enough as you depress harder resulting in a long braking distance before stopping (65 MPH). The car has a noisey cabin and it doesn't steer well therefore, having poor control under pressure consditions. And, the 40 MPG is a mith. The best the car will get is 33-35 MPG. For the money, I think it's a fair deal.Time will tell.

Excellent car for the money!

by Dave from Myrtle beach, SC | April 26, 2014

Beautiful car! The looks of this automobile is what attracted me to it initially. Once we began to look at all the options available in the Limited, the sale was easy! The overall city mileage is not as high as suggested (33 mpg) but whose is!! I would highly give this car a good look if interested in a hybrid. It has as many options as any car I have ever owned!

Best for highway, not in city

by Shravan from Burlingame, CA | March 18, 2014

I bought my sonata hybrid in dec 2013 and I have about 2000 miles on it.The car looks great, awesome features for the price I paid, runs really smooth and quiet. It gives great mileage and quiet riding when riding on highways( @40 mpg as promised) but once you hit the city roads, the mileage you get is around 26mpg, which is 10 miles less than the EPA estimate on the sticker (36 mpg). I use my car mainly for city driving and I thought hybrids can never go wrong with the city mileage but I greatly disappointed me as I use my car mostly for short commutes within the city. The car is great except for this which I need the most. Bummer. I asked the hyundai customer care if they have heard any complaints about city mpg but they deny of having any complaints. May be if more of them complain, they are going to do something about it. So bottom line, if you are a long distance highway commuter, this car is a steal for the money you pay. But if you are looking a car for shorter commutes/in city, my advice: don't fall for the pretty looks, like I did.

Amazing Car

by Car Lover from 91344 | March 12, 2014

The car gets great gas mileage. commute 82+ miles a day and decided I needed I hybrid. I test drove the Sonata and loved it. It was comfortable, handled nicely, and was really safe. Got a great deal and have never looked back. Great technology, and the salesman new his stuff. LOVE IT!!!

Smart Buy

by Proud Hybrid Owner from Texas City, TX | March 12, 2014

I was blown away by the performance of a hybrid. Never gave it a second tnought about owning a hybrid but I was made into a believer. The drive, mileage, comfortable have been amazing. Thank you Johnny and Veronica at Ron Carter Clear Lake. I credit you with my purchase.

Great Value

by Gas saver from Rockford, IL | March 10, 2014

I was wanting to get a new car that was full sized but gets great gas mileage. Looked at Ford fusion hybrid and sonata hybrid. Drove them both. Bought the 2013 Sonata Hybrid. Pluses: Great value, got it for around $24,000 with rebates and 0.0% financing. Has better standard features than fusion. neither one is made in USA so I didn't even feel guilty. Sonata has a unlimited miles/years warranty on batteries (to original owner only) and that was the deal maker. I'm amazed at this cars acceleration and gas mileage. going 75+mph I'm getting 35-36mpg, going 65mph 39-41mpg on hwy. In city I'm getting 36-40. very pleased. have about 2,000 miles on it now. Also impressed with how quiet this car is. Hyundai has figured out how to get rid of road noise.

great car

by agg from chicago | March 7, 2014

I like that the car is a hybrid and looks nothing like a hybrid. I like the feature of being able to turn of electric part and do full gas for stronger pick up when needed

I Want to Like It

by CalifReviewer from Southern CA | March 3, 2014

After 4 months of daily driving with the 2013 Sonata Hybrid, I have a love hate relationship with this car. The love part is the exterior styling, LED lights, smooth quiet ride, comfy leather seats and high end instrument controls. The car is nice to drive but... BlueDrive mode is a joke, u will get passed by every Prius on the road. The initial transition between EV mode and gas is very abrupt and definitely not right. It takes 2-3 seconds at acceleration for the car to actually move. Unlike the Power Mode in a Prius that feels instant and powerful like a golf cart. The Sonatas dual personality is also a turn off. Sometimes it will operate in EV mode, but on a flat road with very light acceleration, sometimes it stays in gas mode for no reason. It's totally unpredictable in my experience and makes for driving a frustrating and annoying vehicle. The Navigation is awful, the voice recognition even worse, don't waste your money on it like I did. The upgraded infinity stereo sounds good but only in the front. The rear sounds like the factory forgot to connect the amp or something. But it sounds very good with an iPod not so much with XM. Mine has a defect in the passenger door that causes vibration and of course requires an all day trip to the hyundai dealer. The gas mileage has been ok, not great. About 37mpg overall so the Elantra is a way better deal in my view. The BlueLink system to remote start the car etc is kinda cool but takes forever to deliver the command so it's really useless. Why didn't hyundai just put a remote start button on the key fob and an all windows down function instead? One last unforgivable issue, the back seat does NOT fold down at all. The dealership lied and told me it would. What car doesn't have at least a 60/40 rear folding seat in 2013?? And an addition $1,000 for a sunroof is also a stupid move on Hyundai's part. They are not a leader in hybrid vehicles by any means, and this car is way over priced for what it delivers. I would not re buy the Sonata Hybrid.

Great value

by Doc from New York, New York | February 28, 2014

Have had my 2013 now for a little over a year. Gives great gas mileage - about 35 city, 40 highway. Haven't had any real problems so far. It has good acceleration and start to stop is smooth. Even in the recent snow we've had up in the Northeast, it handled well even on unplowed roads at slow speeds. The only complaint I have is with repairs and replacement parts. About 4 months in having the car, I was side swiped by a another car. Repairs went fine except that I had to wait 2 months for some parts to be shipped from Korea. If those parts had been stocked in the USA, my repairs would have been done in about 2 weeks according to the shop. Instead it took a full 3 months for me to get my car back. Thankfully, Hyundai was very accommodating and gave a loaner car once the duration of my insurance for this had run out. So, overall, didn't like the wait - but the service was very good.