2001 Hyundai Sonata

Available in 3 styles:  Sonata 4dr Sedan GLS shown

Overall

Wears Like Iron

by scbaker63 from Cambridge, Ontario | August 2, 2011

I bought this car used about 2 years ago with no regrets. The engine runs as quiet as a Singer sowing machine. No glitches whatsoever. I wish the car was a little more of a head-turner in it's sytling. And the seats could be a bit more comfortable; but the car offers all the amenities I need. Great used car value. It really helps me in building faith in Hyundai by driving this car, I'm sure to purchase another Hyundai next time out. Great family car that wears like iron, will probably end up running it into the ground eventually.

couldnt wait to get rid of it

by ChrisMartin1701 from Ballston Spa, NY | February 1, 2011

i had this car for almost a year and it was horrible. i was making frequent trips to the local town garage just to keep it running. constantly breaking down... seats were causing me major back pain. engine was very weak. drove like a boat on dry land. i couldnt wait to get rid of it. had it up until last fall when i bought my 2008 Sonata Limited and i couldnt be happier. my advice, dont buy a sonata older than 2004. just stay away from those.

My Good Old Car

by Cat from Toronto from Toronto | September 1, 2010

I bought my Sonata new. Now it is over 9 years old. Since day 1, it has given me almost no hustle. The following was completed over years: once changed brakes, once changed tires, once changed belt (not sure exact name) + regular maintenance (filter, oil, wipers). I, female, have low kilometres on it. Now it is old and the following problems arouse: both DOJ boots broken, tranny oil dark and wiper does not work. I am selling this car to my relatives as is with full disclosure: guy is handy and can fix little things here and there that the older car is requiring. I will be getting a new car (I even considered another Sonata because it had been so good to me, but decided to change now). I love this car. I even want to keep it in the family and not afraid to sell 9 years old car to my relatives.

let down

by parent from | July 6, 2010

had mechanic check car after we drove it.. different color hood compaired to color of sides.. although both white but different.. back passanger wheel made strange noise while we and also when our mechanic friend drove the car and he stated it was the wheel barrings and needed to be fixed appromx cost >500.(if not fixed wheel barrings could further break and could cause a locking action and cause the car to loose control and accident will occur. noticed oil leak but not bad.. although hood was painted had rust starting on trim at top near windshild wippers.. noticed some rust spots on parts in the engine where rust should not be. also when breaks applied back brakes need to be replaced soon.. car would be great for someone who has the immed. cash to repair esp before allowing new grad. to drive. we did not have the immed cash to have car repaired..so we passed.

01 sonata RELIABLE

by pmp300 from Toronto | November 26, 2009

my parents bought this car brand new, i must say when i first saw them pull up in the driveway with it i said that is one ugly car. Anyways ugly as it is it has been the most reliable car that i have seen. Right now it has 270,000km and everything still works perfect, heat, a/c, cd player... everything. my parents wanted to get a new car and asked our trustworthy mechanic if its time to get rid of this 01 ugly machine. He said its worth keeping, and has no signs of being a prblem going forward, and this was 2 years ago, man he was right. I still drive the car like i said and my parents did end up buying a new vechicle and i got the sonata for the winter. Cant get any better than that.

VERY RELIABLE

by FAMILY CAR from NEWPORT NEWS,VA | September 3, 2009

I LOVE THIS CAR I JUST GOT TO KEEP UP ON THE MAINTENECE ON THE CAR AND EVERYTHING RUNS GREAT GREAT ON GAS AND IT DONE EVERYTHING A CAR IS MADE TO DO

"HEADACHE"

by can from Van Buren Ar | July 19, 2008

I bought mine new and the first 3-3 1/2 yr's it was great. Then it all went down hill. The small stuff like trim around the doors, power windows, even the locks on the front doors broke. The paint started coming off within the the 4th yr. Now in it's 7th, im looking for something else. The window is broke, (the motor), i can't lock it, cv and axel needs replaced, and the timing belt that was replaced 2yr's ago from the dealer, is going bad. GOOD LUCK!!!

good car

by student from maryland | January 9, 2008

very comfortable interior, nice features, good price, very reliable . this car has a nice exterior, more of a low profile but classy. gas mileage is satisfactory. very roomy feel on the inside

nice car

by porky from queens,ny | December 25, 2007

Beautiful running auto.handles well and is well worth what i payed for it(6,000) with taxes. It has only 43,000 miles and it has the amenities of the high priced Accord or Camry.I love to drive this car on the hwy just to hear the v6 purr.

Most reliable car I have ever owned

by jfishel from west chester, OH | August 8, 2007

This car has been a mechanical gem. I can't understand why Consumer Reports gave it any bad marks. I've put some serious miles on it since I purchased it in 2002 and it has been the most dependable vehicle I've ever sat in. WONDERFUL!!! Even got my parents to buy one.

Featured Services for this Hyundai Sonata