2002 Hyundai Sonata

Available in 4 styles:  2002 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan shown

Overall

Have no complaints

by carguyfrank from Pittsburgh, PA | November 12, 2013

Purchased from Sr citizen who was moving closer to family. 2002 GLS with the 2.7 V6. Has all options. 41,000 miles. Leather interior like new. A couple door dings and scratches on bumper. Had body shop make it like new by painting bumpers. Fixed the dings. Car is kind of fun, decent power for year. Dependable so far. Decided to do 60, 000 service because of cars age. Car looks new inside and out. Going to drive till 100, 000. To change cars look changed front grill to Korean spec grill. Changed look of car to something more expensive. No complaints about car at all. Great $4500 buy.

Money Pit

by ohio guy from Columbus, OH | July 3, 2012

When i purchased this vehicle in 2008, I thought it was the best thing that i had ever owned. One month after the warranty expired and three months after I bought it the first signs of trouble occurred. I had to replace the alternator. Since then I've replaced it once every year since I've owned the car. I've even taken it to several Hyundai dealers and no one can tell me why it goes out so fast. I've had to replace the suspension twice, the brakes have even gone out on me while driving, and after it happened and i had it towed back to the dealer, they told me that the rotors and brakes had completely detached from the wheel. The rotors constantly end up separating, which means new brake systems. This car also blows tires with every pot hole you go over. If you enter any construction, chances are you will need 2 new tires by the time your done driving. The timing belt gets replaced once a year as well, and I've also had to replace the exhaust system twice. This car is a money pit and unsafe for interstate driving. I wouldn't wish this car on my worst enemy. I got a good 45,000 miles out of this car, but i thought when i bought it it would at least get up to 180,000. I was wrong. 130,000 is all it's good for. It seems as though Hyundai just jazzed the inside up so that it seemed like a nice car. Not worth the money spent. DO NOT BUY!!!!! worst car I have ever owned.

Good Car, Questionable Reliability

by J from NY | August 4, 2010

I bought this car used in 2005. At the time, it was a great car- fit the family perfectly, had very few problems. In the past 2 years it has become a money pit. It seems that once the warranty is over, the car just falls apart. The only thing making me hold onto the car now is that I have put so much money into it, I have no choice. I question myself every time I get in the car if I will actually make it to where I am going today. Parts just seem to fall off. I am diligent about taking care of this car, and I feel like if you are good to your car, it should last a long time, not just fall apart. The car just dies for no good reason, can't seem to fix that. The tranny has been replaced among other numerous things. I would recommend this product only based upon the fact that before the warranty expired, it was a good car. If you are thinking of buying used, get one with really low miles and plenty of time on the warranty. I am not sure if I will ever buy another one. I hear such good things, but when I think about my own car, it makes me cringe...

Hyundai Sonata 2002

by She loves Driving from Detroit,Michigan | April 11, 2010

This car is beautiful.My complaint is the lot where I bought it, was not honest with me. The car had two bad tires on the back also it has a sunroof that doesn't open. They told me it did not open but did not want to take any money off the price. Still haven't gotten it open yet but I will. Cars.com is a good place to shop. I was a first time user but I would use it again. Thanks

Greatest car I've owned really

by Kjb12180 from Troy,Ny | January 19, 2010

great reliable car. my battery has lasted eight years and still going. only problem Ive had is the plastic on the headlights fade away.

awesome car...will buy another one down the road

by scott from canadensis, pa | August 27, 2009

just bought the car today (8/27/09) and the car is a 2002 and i runs better than any new car ive driven. very nice interior and sporty looking, the only reason i didnt give it a 5 on reliability is because i just got it but the car is rock solid and has a good sound system.

Quality and Value at Affordable Prices!

by RemKay from Olney, Md | August 26, 2009

I have owned 4 Sonatas (1989, 1999, 2002, 2009). My 2002 Sonata, which my family still drives, has over 200,000 miles and still runs practically as well as the day I bought it! That is why I keep coming back to Hyundai. As always, Hyundai offers products of quality and value with all the "bells and whistles" and feel of "expensive" cars at affordable prices. I continue to advise my friends and colleagues to purchase one when they are looking to buy a new car. You can be sure, I'll keep coming back to Hyundai the next time I decide to purchase another car.

Holy Lemon Batman!

by Swindled yet again from New London,CT | April 3, 2009

I have spent over $2600 on repairs in the last year alone. Once I have something fixed, something else goes wrong. The check engine light never seems to go off. I have replaced everything from gaskets, the gas cap, struts, and drive shafts. Now I need to replace the steering rack and air bag computer. With the electrical system the locks have a hard time communicating with eachother and the remote. Half of the interior features barely work. All of these repairs started with a shudder on the highway and a knocking noise under the hood. Everything keeps escalating. This car is a money pit. I've only mentioned a few problems here, it doesn't include all the extra service I have had to have done and system cleanings. Spark plugs and wires were shot thousands of miles before I was even due for a tune up. Once one thing goes, everything goes. Don't waste your money on this vehicle.

I love this car....

by Satisfied from | November 16, 2008

I just recently purchased my Hyundai Sonata and I absolutely love it. The style is beautiful, the inside is very luxurious. I love my car, it rides smooth, the handling is good and it's small and reliable and fuel efficent Just right for me. I would difinitely recommend this car to a friend.

Affordable but a bit luxurious - Sonata

by Seeking comfortable fun from Oakland, CA | September 22, 2008

I've had my 2002 Sonata for 6 years. I bought it for the headlight design and feline lines. It is one of my favorite cars ever. Even my sporty manual-driving husband likes it. Best deal on a sedan for the money. Everything I wanted except heated seats and 6-CD changer. It's an automatic but you can change to a manual control using shiftronic feature, which we use when driving in mountains. Even in automatic mode it has good get-up-and-go except on steep hills. Very comfortable seats for long drives. Was exceptionally quiet when we bought it. 6 years and 1 rear-end later it's not quite so silent but still way better than any VW. Love the sunroof, moderately sporty-shaped bucket front seats, rear optional arm rest/cup holder in center of back, 60/40 split back seat, decent radio. Only 3 glitchy things never fixable: right front passenger window closes slower than all others; the drivers carpet mat never stays hooked in place and scoots forward over days; and some of the panel lights (hot/cold) have gone out now twice. And the trunk always seems to hold less than I expect. Yes, that is the full sum of my complaints and I know how to complain, trust me. Love this comfortable ride!

Featured Services for this Hyundai Sonata