2003 Hyundai Sonata

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Maybe I Just Got The Lemon

by Nick from New Jersey | June 28, 2013

Well what can I say about the 2003 Hyundai Sonata V6? A lot of things. For starters, the car gets horrible gas mileage. My SUV that has a V8 under the hood gets better gas mileage than I do. The interior is cramped and very confined. Exterior of the car is very good looking, the car has nice lines and a nicely shaped and designed front and rear-end. The car is very sluggish almost as if the car has trouble getting out of its own way. I've been driving this car for ten years now and there's not really a day that's gone by that I actually enjoy driving it. The front wheel drive is basically useless once you get an inch of snow on the ground. Perhaps I got a lemon or maybe I'm just fed up with my little sedan that is an extreme gas guzzler but I wouldn't recommend this year or model to anyone. The only thing I truly enjoy in this car is the stock sound system, it is surprisingly sharp and crisp.

Great car for the money!

by Hyundai Lovers from New England | April 23, 2012

You get the most for your buck with this car, handles well, 4 cylinder is still quick. Interior styling is very nice, the options are great and a lot of thought was put into the design. Gas mileage is very good and parts new or used are easily found. I was one of those that avoided Hyundai because of the early 80's, but they have come a long way and I rate it up there with Honda, Toyota and Nissan, maybe even better in my opinion.

Nice car

by K from Phoenix | February 15, 2012

I liked my Hyundai Sonata, it was good to drive, very reliable. I did not have any problems, I bought it used 3rd owner, it was a rental car before, so got good deal and was worried about reliability but has been great, I lost the car in an accident but wanted to keep another 5 years....

Finally killed it.

by 8 year owner from Arkansas | January 8, 2012

My wife bought the car new in 2003, I started driving it in 2007 with 50,000 miles on it. It finally died after 246,000 miles. The timing belt broke and the engine was destroyed. Rather than spend $2,000 to fix it (trade in value was $1,500) We are sending it off to a pick and pull. We replaced the brakes twice in 240,000 miles, as well as 4 sets of tires. The AC blower moter quite at 230,000 miles. In all IF you follow the scheduled maintanance in the owners manual and replace things as needed and replace the timing belt before suggested, this car will last you 200,000 plus miles. I never owned an american made car whose transmission didn't go out around 100,000 miles and for this car to go almost 250,000 miles on the original automatic transmission is quite a testimate.

Can't beat it!

by Average Car Owner from Los Angeles, CA | March 22, 2011

I own a 2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS and I love it! It has never given me any issues, and would recommend it to anyone. I am a young professional who does travel and sales, and this car is just slick looking and plush enough to take customers out in, but not so much that I look like a wana be rock star! Good gas mileage, nice in and exterior, just an all around great car!

nice car

by steve from Elmhurst | August 30, 2009

This is a great car and I've seen the car and for a 2003 with 95k miles, it runs nice, has speed and is is great condition. The seller has taken great care of the car so don't pass this one up.

Good car.. but can have issues

by swede from Virginia Beach, VA | February 18, 2009

I own a 2002 Hyundai Sonata GL V6. Its an awesome car, I really do love it. Three weeks after I got my license I was side swiped by a Lincoln Town car which is a much larger car than the Sonata. But it stood up well and protected me. Now here come some issues I have with the darn car. THERE IS NO FUEL FILTER!!!!!!!!! The summer of 07 when gas prices got really crazy... When ever I was putting gas in the car, when I would go to start it. It wouldn't start. I had to pump the gas and turn the key and hope it would kick over. I thought maybe it was just the gas i was using because I was using WAWA, and then I went back to Exxon and the car was fine. BUT now my newest problem is, apparently this happens to alot of the cars. There is a valve in the gas tank called a two-way valve. And I guess its gone bad so when I go to put gas in my car it takes about 15-25minutes to fill up because every 50cents it clicks and trys to tell me its full when its not. Hyundai DOESNT cover that under warrenty either. So its either I'm going to have to live with it OR I have to pay Hyundai $900 (thats without tax & labor) for them to replace the valve. But I bought the Valve online for $40 and Kramer will do the job for $140. OVER all... car is great, but once you get about 80k on it, get rid of it fast. Thats when all the problems start.

Not the best

by trish from ohio | May 13, 2007

This car is just ok for me. It is pretty and comfortable but it has caused a lot of problems. We have had to fix it too many times. The windows and lights mess up constantly, air bag lights, a lot of electrical problems.

PLEASANTLY SURPRISED

by Happy used car owner from Indianapolis, IN | March 26, 2007

I bought my 2003 Hyundai Sonata LX used. I had researched local used cars online for about three weeks before I came across the Sonata. It had all my "wants" and I knew Hyundai to be a reliable vehicle. When I test drove the Sonata I was extremely surprised by the smooth ride and handling. I really liked the Mercedes/Jaguar-ish body style. That combined with the smooth handling and styled interior won me over. I only have had one issue with a mis-firing, but that was quickly handled with Hyundai's great warrenty. I highly recommend anyone to give Hyundai a serious consideration!

best care I ever owned

by Retired from Kingston ON Canada | February 15, 2007

Have had no problems except one break pad which needed repair Otherwise been driving for three years without any major problems. It is four cylinder and starts in very cold weather here in Canada without plugin heater Nice on highway and easy on gas I am leasing but will purchase at end of lease

Featured Services for this Hyundai Sonata