2005 Hyundai Sonata

Available in 5 styles:  2005 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan shown

Overall

My 2005 Sonata

by thomastidewater from Minnesota | April 13, 2015

My wife bought our 2005 Sonata as a rental return with 35K miles. She drove it daily to work (all city driving) until 2013 when she bought herself a new '11 Sonata and handed down her '05 to me with 112K miles on it, to replace my '01 Elantra which I handed down to my daughter. The biggest problem with the '05 is that the airbag light is always on. Nobody can figure out why. An internet search of this problem reveals millions of Sonatas in this year range with the same problem, and Hyundai Corp. refusing to address the problem with a recall. That really irks me. In '12 and '13, I too had to replace the low beam bulbs a few times, as other reviewers have mentioned, but haven't had to at all in '14 or now in '15. Here's a tip. If your check engine light comes on, and you or your mechanic can't figure out why, and your OBD-II scope isn't helping, just clean or replace the air filter... problem solved (the air to fuel mixture normalizes, the computer's happy again, and the check engine light goes off without having to reset it via OBD-II. Nice! Now the part that really upsets me about the '05 Sonata. The headlights light the road so poorly at night that I find it very difficult to drive at night. They light the road nicely out to about 30 feet, but then a huge black shadow appears across the entire field of view in the area of the road that you want to be seeing the most... the area that you would think would be lit up the best for safety's sake. Adjusting the headlights doesn't help a bit... the shadow is still there. Also, adjusting the headlights is extremely difficult... a true pain in the ess! Short trips around town at night are manageable, but a road trip of several hundred miles? Try to do it in the daytime. Airbag warning light and headlights aside, all in all, I'd highly recommend the '05 Sonata! Comfortable, smooth riding (unlike our '11 Sonata, which shakes your innards right out of your body! Every little bump feels like a major pothole!) and reliable. At 120,000 miles, all our '05 has needed was a new timing belt at 100K, regular oil and filter chenges every 3K, and I'm ashamed to admit it, but at 120K, she still has her original sparkplugs. I think I'll get those changed this week. Tranny is still tight and shifts smooth, engine just took me 600 miles from Minneapolis to Aberdeen and back in a single day without using a drop of oil. Probably the best, most reliable car I've ever owned. Tows my 14' aluminum fishing boat effortlessly as well! Go for it!

Best Car I've Owned

by Dee from VA/AL from Huntsville, AL | July 17, 2014

Andy from Philly so sorry to hear you go a bad one from the factory because i'm with average Joe from Minnesota the car is totally worth having and i too have very high miles on mine to this date i have 208,293. it had like 32 miles on it when i got it and right again average Joe the low beam head light you do have to replace a lot. that is the only thing i have to constantly replace/repair. i used the car to go from Huntsville, AL to Woodbridge, VA every forty-five days for 3 straight years and it withstood the wear and tear i put on it so I plan to keep this car forever and even after it breaks totally down i will not buy another car, but i will totally put the money into getting my Sonata fixed even if it will cost 6 to $10,000. this is how much i love this car!

reliable car

by average joe from minnesota | June 11, 2013

bought my 2005 hyundai sonata gls with 2300 miles on it. for the price, i thought it was a great buy. this car has been very reliable with only routine maintenance, tires, oil changes, breaks, ect. i drive a lot of highway miles and average anywhere from 26-29 mpg depending how fast i drive. the only negative thing about this vehicle is that i replace the low beam lights on it often. Still own this car today with 280,000 miles on it and it drives as good today as when i bought it. Replaced plugs at 275,000. found that firestone tires work the best for this vehicle. Got 95,000 miles out of the last pair of FR710 and currently have 45,000 miles on my current set

2002 Saturn L200

by Mar from Easton Pa. | May 23, 2013

Bought my son his 1st car from Auto America couldn't of been happier... The car runs GREAT salesman are VERY helpful and the owner is a very nice guy to do business with... If ur looking for a good vehicle I'd definitely recommend AUTO AMERICA... Thanks again for the great experience...

Very reliable

by Lots of in town driving from Iowa | May 11, 2013

I bought my Sonata used about 5 1/2 years ago. It has over 172,000 miles on it and is still reliable as ever. I do routine maintenance and have only replaced the brakes, battery, and tires so far. I've also replaced the headlights multiple times, but that's an easy fix. I drive mostly in town and get 19-22 mpg. It's starting to rust just a little near the windshield. I love the leather and moonroof, but wish the seats were heated. Sadly I'll be getting rid of my Sonata soon due to extensive hail damage (repairs > value of my car), but plan to look into buying another Sonata because it has been such a great car for me.

Great vehicle

by Family Sedan Owner from Miami, Florida | March 19, 2012

This is my fourth Hyundai and the second one of this specific model, a 2005 Sonata. The 2002-2005 Sonata models are , I believe, the best mid-sized cars Hyundai has produced so far. Their styling is truly classic and the V6 engine is an economic wonder!! I would recommend this car very strongly to anyone.

Better than nothing

by Andy from Philly | February 23, 2012

this car is only good for first 50-70 k after that it lives in the shop, would never by hundai again.

Hyundai Sonata

by Rajeshkumar from Maryland | November 7, 2011

I bought a 2005 model Hyundai Sonata last July 2011 and I am happy about the car. It is 2.7 liter 175 bhp engine - it is powerfull! even with 5 people in the car it runs as if I am the only passanger, so far (last 4 months) no additional expence appart from regular oil change. I am not that comfortable with the driver side seat height it is too low, but it is ok. I am getting 15miles/galon in City and 27miles/gallon on Freeway. The tyre grips on the road nicely, so that I have fine control on the driving. Some how the brakes are not that impressive. Interior of the car is just amaizing I love the interiors then the exterior look. Overall this car is value for money appart from the problems due to the fact that it is 6 year old car.

Impressed with Hyundai

by Hyundai fan from Greensburg, IN | February 3, 2011

We purchased a 2005 Hyundai Sonata in 2007. It has been the most reliable vehicle we have ever owned. We also have SUVs, but I would much rather drive the Sonata because it's zippier for quick trips around town. Gas mileage is very good, comfortable seats, plenty of leg room and a spacious trunk. Very impressed with Hyundai!

Whoda thunk it?

by HiddenJewel from Pensacola, FL | August 20, 2010

This is a really nice car. I'm no kid. I've owned lots of cars. This is one that is fun to drive, economical and suprizingly not too small. I've had some small econimical cars in my day, but mainly go for the larger Crown Vic type of cars. When I tried the Sonata I was stunned at the nice ride, comfort, and nimble handling. I drive 60 miles to work, so my intent was to downsize from my Mercury to something less gas hungy. I'm Six feet, 200lbs, so I'm not huge but not tiny either. I tried a bunch of smaller cars and didn't like either the buzzy rides, lack of power or overall style and comfort. I would ask myself, "can I ride this car for 300-500 miles a week and still like it after a year". Almost always I came up with the answer, NO. Then I tried out the Sonata. It had enough ZIP in the engine (V6), smoothe quiet ride, and with the pseudo manual transmission, it's was a blast to drive. I left the dealership "thinking" it over and went back the next day to buy it. I'm glad I did. I have the full blown version with all of the upgrades. I highly recommend them too. About my only 2 minor quirks are, if you're taller than 6 feet, the sun/moon roof moulding will touch your hair or head. I think you lose about 1-2 inches of head room if you decide to get the retractable roof. The leather seats while nice and firm and of good quality, strong leather, might be a bit firm for some. I find them perfect, but my some might like a little softer cushion down there. Perhaps it's only an issue with the leather seat option. I would not hesitate to advise a friend or family to buy one.