2012 Hyundai Sonata

Available in 5 styles:  2012 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan shown

Overall

Great

by The Kev from Baltimore, MD | October 22, 2014

Purchased new, and loved it. Smooth shifting, roomy interior, sharp exterior. Plenty of power and responsiveness, great value and efficiency. This car was totaled after someone pulled out in front of my wife with our 6 month old baby in the car. She walked away and the baby showed no ill effects. I've heard several stories from friends who have walked away from Sonatas they have totaled. Safety seems to be very impressive.

Dont trust Hyundai

by Laura from Phoenix AZ | August 11, 2014

I bought my 2012 Sonata 2.0T Limited in Sept 2011 & literally have had issues since day 2. I bought the car & took it home to wash it & I noticed that the bottom rocker panels (goes along the bottom sides of the car) the paint was chipping where it met the sheet metal (poor manufacturing). Took it back & told them I wanted them to re-paint it because I didn't want it to rust where it had chipped. They put up a fight & ultimately they painted it. Then at 5k miles it started having turbo issues (it wasn't spooling properly to give it boost) Had the waste gate actuator replaced TWICE. I have the panoramic roof and by about 13k miles (not even a year old) the roof was creaking. Went round & round & 3x to the dealer to get it fixed for the fear that it was going to shatter while driving (as some have said has done) they finally figured out what it was. Had the rear suspension repaired do to "creaking" when ever going over any uneven surface. At 27k started having trans issues as in not being able to take it out of park so I would be stuck and unable to drive it. Drivers side auto up/dwn window quit. Stereo screen went out. At 32k the trans would do a hard lurch when taking it out of park. And now the push button on the door handle to unlock drivers doors will work when it wants to...all before 40k miles. I have co workers that have the same cars or Elantras and we all have issues. Do your research on this car and read the SERVICE BULLETINS for any car you are wanting to buy. That is where issues are logged mostly by mechanics before they become recalls. Hyundai is pretty bad. Hope people take head to my warnings as Im trading mine in. I just don't have the heart to sell it to someone myself.

2012 sonata limited

by jesus from brooklyn new york | August 6, 2014

need few extra, the bucket seat you really have to adjust your backside to the center of the seat, it should have a memory seat each time your seat if you go to the car wash you have to adjust the seat, I do not like that each time you put the car in park all door are unlock, it plenty of room in the back seat but not enough air, the trunk it get very warm why?, still I love the style of the car

Hyundai Sonata 2012

by Super Rams from Kennewick, WA | May 5, 2014

I bought this car in April 2014 and so far so good. It is very roomy for both the front and rear passengers and has lots of trunk space. I like the body styling and the 2.4L 4 cylinder engine is both responsive and economical. I like the level of equipment provided and having all of the controls for media, phone, cruise and trip computer on the steering wheel is great. I also love the blue lighting, which looks cool at night. The reason for the four stars on the Interior is that I've found that the instrument dial lights partially reflect in the upper part of the windshield at night and in order to not see them I have to adjust my seat to a postion that's not comfortable for me. I've adjusted my seat to what is comfortable and try not to notice the reflections. The four stars for comfort is that I seem to end up sat more on the left hand side of the seat. The seats have a bucket shape, but I've noticed that I have to shuffle my backside over to the middle of the seat every so often. It's not a big deal, but is something that I've not experienced before. Overall, I'm very pleased with this car and look forward to driving it for many years to come.

Very Good, Jury's Still Out

by All Rhythm & No Blues from Philly | May 2, 2014

I've only had the vehicle for a month, so ratings and opinions should be viewed from that perspective. What's most evident is that everyone else (sans the haters) seem to be impressed with the look and the ride. I do like the vehicle's ability to "perform," despite being a 4-cylinder offering. My overall feeling and opinion is one of satisfaction, but I'm just a month in.

HYUNDAI-SONATA '12

by BLACKGS from ORLANDO | February 26, 2014

VERY POOR MILEAGE, BATTERY-TIRES FALL APART UNDER 30,000 MILES, DEALERSHIP WOULD NOT LISTEN, CAR SEAT WOULD NOT RAISE HIGH ENOUGH, POOR SEAT BELT DESIGN.

Hyundai did a great job with this car

by mlauth from Columbia, SC | February 23, 2014

The style is the fist thing that drew me to this car. I thought wow that looks great but i bet its a bad car. I loved my 07 Camry, color i wanted, great mpg, style was ok, so when i started seeing a lot of these Sonatas on the road i figured what could it hurt to go test drive one. I figured it would just make me love my Camry just that much more. Well since im now writing a review on a Sonata you know how that story ended. I've owned this car over a year now so i am past the new car love and into its my car and i need to maintain it. I just cant help but walk in the garage after its weekly wash Saturday and say "that looks so good". It has everything i was looking for in a car. Style, mpg, room, comfort, and the most important for me power. I am a 4 cylinder turbo fan. I've owned several, but my favorite was my Eagle Talon TSI. This car doesn't have the "tuner" following but in my opinion it shouldn't, its a family car, and it fits that category very well. I have 2 young boys 9 and 5. I drive them to school every day before i leave for the office and its perfect size for us. We have made one long trip in this car and it did great for MPG, but i think its a little small for 4 of us 800 miles long so we went back to our Acadia for those. I have always been a new car every year and a half kind of guy, but i can tell you I'm keeping this one for a while. 10 yr 100k mile power train and 5 yr 50k bumper warranty is so hard to beat. I have only had to take my car in for cosmetic things like the door pillar stickers and some paint chips. The only dislike i have about the car is the design of the front allows for road rash and i don't think they do as good as a job on the paint in the factory that's needed for this design. I've had the dealership repaint my hood and the problem is gone, but they wont do the bumper so I'll probably have that done by a body shop. Hope this review helps you in your car search and tried to keep it as piratical as possible.

Mouse hotel

by Mice!!!! from Ozark, Al | December 9, 2013

Although my 2013 Sonata is nice to look at and fun to drive, after only one month it reeked of dead mouse. In the ensuing eleven months I've owned it, it has had to go to the shop twice for help to remove mice from the air conditioner filter. I am not impressed!!!!

Review - 2012 Sonata

by Satisfied Owner from North Carolina | November 23, 2013

I purchased this vehicle with about 26,000 miles on it. To this point, I have been very satisfied with my Sonata and have not had any problems. The interior is laid out well, and the vehicle has a good number of features for the money I spent. There is adequate room for passengers. My right leg seems to get a little cramped/uncomfortable at times while it's resting against the center console, but that's about it. Even with the ECO button on, the vehicle still has pretty good acceleration and enough power for the "average" driver, in my opinion. The transmission shifts very smoothly from gear to gear. That's one thing I noticed right away. Some people have complained about steering problems, but I have not experienced any. Yes, the steering is a bit tight, but not to the point that I dislike it. There is a little road noise in the cabin, especially on rougher pavement, but I suspect part of that is from the tires that came on it. Even with the way it is now, the noise is not to the point of being intrusive or objectionable. The vehicle gets good fuel mileage, but I am not sure it gets as good as Hyundai normally advertises for this model. I have found that I need to be extra careful when changing lanes, as the "blind spot" on the driver's side seems to be a bit larger than normal...or maybe it's just me! Overall, I have enjoyed my Sonata to this point and have been happy with my purchase. It has given me solid performance with no problems at all.

Nice, Solid, Reliable Sedan

by Performance Driving Instructor from Easton PA | November 8, 2013

This is my first Sonata and I have to say I'm impressed. The quality of the car and design are better than Accord and Camry. I like the design and the power is good for a 4cyl sedan. The gas mileage is fantastic for a big sedan! I'm averaging 32 on the highway @ 80mph. I do wish the headlights and horn were better. Also the steering is a little numb but that can be changed by the dealer setting the steering feedback to "high". I bought this car for my commute and had to fit 3 kids seats in the back and I'm very happy with my purchase and decision to buy the Sonata!