2012 Hyundai Sonata

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Hyundai Sonata 2012

by Super Rams from Kennewick, WA | May 5, 2014

I bought this car in April 2014 and so far so good. It is very roomy for both the front and rear passengers and has lots of trunk space. I like the body styling and the 2.4L 4 cylinder engine is both responsive and economical. I like the level of equipment provided and having all of the controls for media, phone, cruise and trip computer on the steering wheel is great. I also love the blue lighting, which looks cool at night. The reason for the four stars on the Interior is that I've found that the instrument dial lights partially reflect in the upper part of the windshield at night and in order to not see them I have to adjust my seat to a postion that's not comfortable for me. I've adjusted my seat to what is comfortable and try not to notice the reflections. The four stars for comfort is that I seem to end up sat more on the left hand side of the seat. The seats have a bucket shape, but I've noticed that I have to shuffle my backside over to the middle of the seat every so often. It's not a big deal, but is something that I've not experienced before. Overall, I'm very pleased with this car and look forward to driving it for many years to come.

Very Good, Jury's Still Out

by All Rhythm & No Blues from Philly | May 2, 2014

I've only had the vehicle for a month, so ratings and opinions should be viewed from that perspective. What's most evident is that everyone else (sans the haters) seem to be impressed with the look and the ride. I do like the vehicle's ability to "perform," despite being a 4-cylinder offering. My overall feeling and opinion is one of satisfaction, but I'm just a month in.

HYUNDAI-SONATA '12

by BLACKGS from ORLANDO | February 26, 2014

VERY POOR MILEAGE, BATTERY-TIRES FALL APART UNDER 30,000 MILES, DEALERSHIP WOULD NOT LISTEN, CAR SEAT WOULD NOT RAISE HIGH ENOUGH, POOR SEAT BELT DESIGN.

Hyundai did a great job with this car

by mlauth from Columbia, SC | February 23, 2014

The style is the fist thing that drew me to this car. I thought wow that looks great but i bet its a bad car. I loved my 07 Camry, color i wanted, great mpg, style was ok, so when i started seeing a lot of these Sonatas on the road i figured what could it hurt to go test drive one. I figured it would just make me love my Camry just that much more. Well since im now writing a review on a Sonata you know how that story ended. I've owned this car over a year now so i am past the new car love and into its my car and i need to maintain it. I just cant help but walk in the garage after its weekly wash Saturday and say "that looks so good". It has everything i was looking for in a car. Style, mpg, room, comfort, and the most important for me power. I am a 4 cylinder turbo fan. I've owned several, but my favorite was my Eagle Talon TSI. This car doesn't have the "tuner" following but in my opinion it shouldn't, its a family car, and it fits that category very well. I have 2 young boys 9 and 5. I drive them to school every day before i leave for the office and its perfect size for us. We have made one long trip in this car and it did great for MPG, but i think its a little small for 4 of us 800 miles long so we went back to our Acadia for those. I have always been a new car every year and a half kind of guy, but i can tell you I'm keeping this one for a while. 10 yr 100k mile power train and 5 yr 50k bumper warranty is so hard to beat. I have only had to take my car in for cosmetic things like the door pillar stickers and some paint chips. The only dislike i have about the car is the design of the front allows for road rash and i don't think they do as good as a job on the paint in the factory that's needed for this design. I've had the dealership repaint my hood and the problem is gone, but they wont do the bumper so I'll probably have that done by a body shop. Hope this review helps you in your car search and tried to keep it as piratical as possible.

Mouse hotel

by Mice!!!! from Ozark, Al | December 9, 2013

Although my 2013 Sonata is nice to look at and fun to drive, after only one month it reeked of dead mouse. In the ensuing eleven months I've owned it, it has had to go to the shop twice for help to remove mice from the air conditioner filter. I am not impressed!!!!

Review - 2012 Sonata

by Satisfied Owner from North Carolina | November 23, 2013

I purchased this vehicle with about 26,000 miles on it. To this point, I have been very satisfied with my Sonata and have not had any problems. The interior is laid out well, and the vehicle has a good number of features for the money I spent. There is adequate room for passengers. My right leg seems to get a little cramped/uncomfortable at times while it's resting against the center console, but that's about it. Even with the ECO button on, the vehicle still has pretty good acceleration and enough power for the "average" driver, in my opinion. The transmission shifts very smoothly from gear to gear. That's one thing I noticed right away. Some people have complained about steering problems, but I have not experienced any. Yes, the steering is a bit tight, but not to the point that I dislike it. There is a little road noise in the cabin, especially on rougher pavement, but I suspect part of that is from the tires that came on it. Even with the way it is now, the noise is not to the point of being intrusive or objectionable. The vehicle gets good fuel mileage, but I am not sure it gets as good as Hyundai normally advertises for this model. I have found that I need to be extra careful when changing lanes, as the "blind spot" on the driver's side seems to be a bit larger than normal...or maybe it's just me! Overall, I have enjoyed my Sonata to this point and have been happy with my purchase. It has given me solid performance with no problems at all.

Nice, Solid, Reliable Sedan

by Performance Driving Instructor from Easton PA | November 8, 2013

This is my first Sonata and I have to say I'm impressed. The quality of the car and design are better than Accord and Camry. I like the design and the power is good for a 4cyl sedan. The gas mileage is fantastic for a big sedan! I'm averaging 32 on the highway @ 80mph. I do wish the headlights and horn were better. Also the steering is a little numb but that can be changed by the dealer setting the steering feedback to "high". I bought this car for my commute and had to fit 3 kids seats in the back and I'm very happy with my purchase and decision to buy the Sonata!

First time with a Hyundai

by Just a normal guy who drives every day from Ohio | July 10, 2013

I owned a Honda Civic before I made the switch to the Sonata. I definitely wanted a little more room in a car and did look at the Accord. I decided the exterior and interior design of the Sonata was far better then the Accord or any other mid-sized sedan in its class. The functionality of the vehicle makes sense as far as technology goes and has one of the warranties in the industries. The car feels comfortable and drives very smoothly. I have not noticed any handling issues other than the fact that it is obviously a bigger car than the Civic. I bought the car used but only one year old with limited mileage so I was able to get the car CPO which was wonderful the warranty that comes with it. I also was able to get the Limited edition since I bought a used car which was also very worth it in my mind with all the bells and whistles that Hyundai has added to the revamped model.

Great Gas Mileage

by Clum from Central San Joaquin Valley, Ca | July 3, 2013

Just bought a 2012 GLS & it's the first car I've acquired that actually hits it's EPA mileage! I got it used with 30k miles on it & couldn't be happier! Styling is great, just got back from a trip & got 36mpg on freeway doing75mph with the ac on & with sorry Calif. gas. The ride, tire wander, & road noise were the only complaints I had, but I replaced the lousy Kumho tires on it with Michelins & the ride comfort was so much better & the tire noise is quiet. The road wander disappeared with the new tires as well. I had an '10 Camry & to me this car is much better. More power, sturdier feel, & roomier inside! I'm giving it to my daughter when she gets her license next year!

Lovin' it!

by bakes from albany NY | February 19, 2013

2012 Sonata Limited with navigation package. The designer of this car clearly has spent more time driving cars than doodling in a sketchbook as the car is full of well thought out features that make a difference in the real world. The seats are comfortable over long distances, with the adjustable lumbar support for the driver's seat being very effective. If you cannot find a comfortable driving position in this car, you can't find a comfortable position in any car. The design of the center stack, between the audio/sat nav controls and the HVAC controls, is logical and quickly becomes intuitive; the "seated person" icon for directing airflow and the arrangement of the touch screen in particluar being clear and very usable. The navigation package shows a split screen at intersections, along with a moving vehicle icon so you can identify your turns even in areas closely spaced streets. All of the major controls - lighting, wipers, etc - work intuitivety, and the graphics on the information screen in the center and on the nav screen are a cut above what one would expect. Little details like heated rear seats, rear seat ventilation, and a ton of legroom make sitting in the back seat more than just a tolerable experience. The rear seat releases in the trunk (which is positively vast) are again simple and easily reached. Lots of storage space, sensibly located and realistically sized. The panoramic sunroof is flat out awesome. My car has the naturally aspirated engine, and while it's not a hot rod by any means it's plenty quick enough for daily use, and the car is velvety smooth above 1500 RPM. The only caveat I have is that, when the transmission is in ECO mode, the shift patterns change down as soon as possible, occasionally dropping the revs down a little too low. It took me a little while to get used to the throttle response, which is fairly quick, when coming out of the more linear throttle in my older Volvo. Overall, getting 24-25 MPG in the city and 30+ MPG on the highway all day long.