2013 Hyundai Veloster

2013 Hyundai Veloster
Available in 6 styles:  2013 Hyundai Veloster 3dr Hatchback shown
Starting MSRP

Overall

Nice Car...Now Let's Talk About Winter.

by Tooker from Northern New Brunswick Canda | October 16, 2014

This is my second post. I posted in March or April, too. I recently traded my Veloster after 2 years, but the sale of the car is quite bitter sweet. Here's why: First the pros: 1) The fuel economy was top notch, 2) The overall ride was acceptable. I enjoyed taking it on long drips during the summer months even though the plastic interior really hurt when resting the elbow near the door handle. 3) It handled quite well although the base model, non-turbo required one to be quite diligent with timing when passing on a single lane highway. 4) I felt the road noise was minimal. Compared to my CRV it's night and day. Secondly the cons: 1) I reallly take care of my vehicles, so I was disappointed that the center console was beginning to make creaking noises with only 25 000 km. 2) The Voice Command was not recognizing my MP3 stick very often. 3) The huge blind spots due to the car's design required me to put additional blind spot mirrors, which were useless during our long New Brunswick, Canadian winters. 4) Lastly, the overall handling of the car during our long winters. I don't drive like a cowboy, I have 28 years driving experience which includes driving rear wheel 80's beasts like Thunderbirds, the car was equipped with new Blizzacks, yet driving the FWD Veloster on slush covered northern highways was far from ideal. The back of the car seems to sway/jump if you hit large uneven surfaces. Combine that with slushy snowy conditions with roads that have built up uneven pockets of ice like we have and the ride is less then optimal. I drive 50km a day, and didn't enjoy the ride at all during the winter. Now purely on a 'manly' level, as a 42 year male I saw more and more young females driving the Veloster when I was visiting larger urban centers. Arguably, the intended demographics are for 20 somethings; getting out of the car is a little precarious being that it's so low. In summary, this is an affordable car that most young people getting out of university could purchase without stretching the wallet or purse too far. Its fuel efficiency is not an issue. It rated well during crash tests, too. However, this car is not ideal for long harsh winters. I've noticed that many who posts and comment are from Texas or other areas with milder climates. Young owners may quip that this old guy doesn't know what he's talking about and the car handles like a little pitbull in the winter. I'd say that if my daughter were old enough to start university I'd let her drive this car to and from school if there were no winter. Otherwise, the English Bulldog and I would pick her up in the Ridgeline when 12cm of snow is expected to fall. I hope this review helps someone make a solid purchasing decision. However, sometimes you get the fever for a vehicle and you just have to buy it. That's what happen to me over and over again. Ask me about my Jeep wrangler!

Nice sporty coupe

by wm519 from chicago | October 15, 2014

The car sounds nice, shifts nice (6sp manual) and handles nice. The ride could be better. It has suprising pickup with the manual. The Dimension sound system sounds great but is missing a few standard things. It does not remember your shuffle and info settings through USB stick. Bluetooth and voice command work well. It gets very good real mileage, 29 mpg in suburban driving. I have to tell people to watch their head when using the third door but there is decent room in the back seat. Nice size trunk and with seats folded down lots of room. Cruises effortlessly at 80 with four people in it. Nice panoramic sunroof.

A little pocket rocket

by MarVista from Santa Monica | October 7, 2014

Remember the 1988 Hyundai Excel. Well, this is not that 80s Hyundai anymore. The company has evolved into a world class auto maker contender earning award winning designs and performances repeatedly. Other brands better watch out. The Turbo version is a must for added HP but you need to know how to take advantages of that extras. Disregard all the negative reviews from the pro. They get paid only just to criticize. Beautiful design inside and out. Tech savvy will love it. It's a smorgasbord of media connectivities. Hyundai paid very good attention to details on this car, very well build and made as well with almost 30% discount in compare to other brands with similar luxury items. Rear view camera is an awesome feature. The front grill looks very aggressive and the rear is so sexy. Slalom is very smooth and agile. Great mpg too. Get one while it last, you'll love it.

blaa

by no knowledge from USA | September 8, 2014

Purchased a 2014 veloster.,, I purchased it 7n the winter,, when summer came along a started to smell a fishy smell needless to say I have returned it 3 times to have it shampooed at the dealer, , no its getting cool again,, the smell is gone, now when I put the car in reverse sometime it doesn't want to go in gear..not impressed p

2013 Veloster Fun to drive!

by jan2448 from Odessa, TX | August 4, 2014

I've had my 1.6L FWD for about 9 months, I have put a lot of miles on it, but the car has been very good on gas mileage, no extra noises, great sound system, no complaints there! My only complaint is on the passenger side, the panel between the windshield and the door, right where the side mirror is, that creates a big blindspot, and have almost pulled out in front of a couple of vehicles. Not sure if others have had this problem. Other than that this is a good small car to get around in traffic, even taken on the road a few times, very comfortable!

It's a 1.6Liter compact, that said. I LOVE IT!

by Tracy31tx from Houston, Tx | July 7, 2014

I have a 2013 1.6l base with the premium package/wheels/sound system. I read so many complaints about how the performance of this car does not meet up with the look of the car. This to me is ridiculous. Who buys a 1.6liter 4cyl compact Korean car with expectations that it is going to give you whiplash? I came at it from driving a 2007 Accent SE for five years, not expecting a sports car. with that view I got more than I expected. it has everything a $40k car has in gadgets and styling. it handles more than adequately for a compact car, and if you zero out the MPG calculator after you are up to speed on the freeway, you will see that you actually get about 41-42mpg at 60mph. I've driven from Dallas to Kentucky several times. and averaged 36mpg at an average of 75mph after 10hrs. I drive it without the eco and use the paddle shifters in sports mode and feel like i'm driving a much more expensive car. Premium gas helps to...the only fault I can see is the catalytic converter rattle with the a/c running, but only while in automatic, it goes away when I use sports mode. This is also an expectation with a 1.6l 4cyl compact car.........

Great Value for the Money

by Kitikki from TX | May 12, 2014

I LOVE my car. I was in need of a car that got better gas mileage than the truck I was driving. The car's appearance is important to me. Although I did get the turbo, it isn't as sporty as it could be. I have used the sport mode to get into traffic safely but don't really see me winning any races. There isn't another car in its class I would even consider driving.

LOVE MY CAR BUT......

by PIPNHOT from WASHINGTON STATE | May 7, 2014

I HAD IMMEDIATE PROBLEMS WITH MY SPEAKERS. AFTER SEVERAL COMPLAINTS THEY REPLACED ONE. WHEN IT SOUNDED BETTER ANOTHER SOUNDED BLOWN. I WENT AND PURCHASE ALL NEW SPEAKERS NOW SOUNDS GREAT...... I WENT TO GET OIL CHANGE AND TO MY SURPRISE THEY WERE GOING TO FIX THE SPEAKERS AS THERE WAS A RECALL! I TOLD THEM I ALREADY REPLACED THEM BECAUSE THEY SOUNDED SO BAD AND RECEIVED NO HELP TO FIX THE PROBLEM. THEY TOLD ME I HAD TO SIGN A PAPER SAYING THEY FIXED IT! CRAZY! NOW WITH ONLY 28, 000 MILES IT SOUNDS LIKE I PUT BAD GAS IN! IT TINGS ALL THE TIME! I HAVE PUT SUPPLEMENT IN THE GAS. BOUGHT PREMIUM GAS WENT TO SEVERAL GAS STATIONS TO STILL HEAR THE NOISE! CADILLAC CONVERTER? LIFTERS? I HAVE NO IDEA! THEY SAY THAT THEY CAN RUN SOME CLEANER IN GAS AND ENGINE FOR ALMOST $300.00! REALLY! I HAVE OWNED SEVERAL NEW CARS NEVER HAVE I HAD NOISE THAT I HAD TO PAY FOR SHOULD BE UNDER WARRENTY. I AM SURE I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE WITH THE NEWEST OF MY PROBLEMS.

Great car after 1 year

by Hyundai Convert from Kenosha, WI | May 6, 2014

I bought my Boston Red Veloster Turbo in February of 2013 when I lived in Richmond,VA. I was looking for a hatchback with good fuel economy and fun to drive. Coming from a black 2000 Camaro SS with non functional air conditioning, I had no desire to bake in the VA heat that summer. The Veloster is a great car I am happy to have it. The seats fold down and can swallow anything. In October of 2013 I took a new job in Wisconsin and drove the Veloster from Richmond to Kenosha with a stopover in Michigan. The second day was a nine hour day and when I got to my parents house in Michigan, I was not tired or sore. The Veloster has what I call the right amount of technology. The touch screen controls the Nav, radio, and the settings on the car. The I-Pod connectivity is great, and controling it from the touch screen is easier than from the I-Pod itself. The climate controls are easy to use knobs and buttons. I love the bluetooth and how it was easy to set up my old Andriod and my new Blackberry. There are two negatives. The voice control for the radio and the phone is total disobedience, plus the Bluelink leaves alot to be disired. I had an O2 sensor fail in March of '14 and the Bluelink prompted me to use it to call for a diagnosis. I hit the button and after three rings, it hung up on me. I then hit the button on the mirror and could not understand what was said. That is a little concerning that if I get in a wreck it is suppost to call for help. The Bluelink aside I am very happy with my Veloster, furthermore the warrenties are seond to none. I would recommend a test drive of the standard and turbo before making a decision. The standard version with the auto felt a little thin on power, so I got the turbo with a 6 speed.

Pass by Gas Stations More Often

by Tooker from New Brunswick, Canada | March 30, 2014

I live in northern N.B. Canada. We have long winters and lots of snow. 10cm of snow is falling as I type this and it's March 30th. If you're looking to save at the pump this car is ideal, but if you need that real sense of security during winter driving then you need to be looking at something that has AWD. In addition, the hard plastic arm rest on the driver's side door will lead to a sore left elbow if you rest it there for even a short amount of time. The car is low to the ground, so it actually can be challenging getting out of it, even if you're in great shape. For front wheel drives, it handles like all other front wheel drive vehicles in the winter. I have good winter tires on it, but quite simply it's not an ideal car if you live in an area that has very tough winters.