2013 Hyundai Veloster

Starting MSRP

Overall

blaa

by no knowledge from USA | September 8, 2014

Purchased a 2014 veloster.,, I purchased it 7n the winter,, when summer came along a started to smell a fishy smell needless to say I have returned it 3 times to have it shampooed at the dealer, , no its getting cool again,, the smell is gone, now when I put the car in reverse sometime it doesn't want to go in gear..not impressed p

2013 Veloster Fun to drive!

by jan2448 from Odessa, TX | August 4, 2014

I've had my 1.6L FWD for about 9 months, I have put a lot of miles on it, but the car has been very good on gas mileage, no extra noises, great sound system, no complaints there! My only complaint is on the passenger side, the panel between the windshield and the door, right where the side mirror is, that creates a big blindspot, and have almost pulled out in front of a couple of vehicles. Not sure if others have had this problem. Other than that this is a good small car to get around in traffic, even taken on the road a few times, very comfortable!

It's a 1.6Liter compact, that said. I LOVE IT!

by Tracy31tx from Houston, Tx | July 7, 2014

I have a 2013 1.6l base with the premium package/wheels/sound system. I read so many complaints about how the performance of this car does not meet up with the look of the car. This to me is ridiculous. Who buys a 1.6liter 4cyl compact Korean car with expectations that it is going to give you whiplash? I came at it from driving a 2007 Accent SE for five years, not expecting a sports car. with that view I got more than I expected. it has everything a $40k car has in gadgets and styling. it handles more than adequately for a compact car, and if you zero out the MPG calculator after you are up to speed on the freeway, you will see that you actually get about 41-42mpg at 60mph. I've driven from Dallas to Kentucky several times. and averaged 36mpg at an average of 75mph after 10hrs. I drive it without the eco and use the paddle shifters in sports mode and feel like i'm driving a much more expensive car. Premium gas helps to...the only fault I can see is the catalytic converter rattle with the a/c running, but only while in automatic, it goes away when I use sports mode. This is also an expectation with a 1.6l 4cyl compact car.........

Great Value for the Money

by Kitikki from TX | May 12, 2014

I LOVE my car. I was in need of a car that got better gas mileage than the truck I was driving. The car's appearance is important to me. Although I did get the turbo, it isn't as sporty as it could be. I have used the sport mode to get into traffic safely but don't really see me winning any races. There isn't another car in its class I would even consider driving.

LOVE MY CAR BUT......

by PIPNHOT from WASHINGTON STATE | May 7, 2014

I HAD IMMEDIATE PROBLEMS WITH MY SPEAKERS. AFTER SEVERAL COMPLAINTS THEY REPLACED ONE. WHEN IT SOUNDED BETTER ANOTHER SOUNDED BLOWN. I WENT AND PURCHASE ALL NEW SPEAKERS NOW SOUNDS GREAT...... I WENT TO GET OIL CHANGE AND TO MY SURPRISE THEY WERE GOING TO FIX THE SPEAKERS AS THERE WAS A RECALL! I TOLD THEM I ALREADY REPLACED THEM BECAUSE THEY SOUNDED SO BAD AND RECEIVED NO HELP TO FIX THE PROBLEM. THEY TOLD ME I HAD TO SIGN A PAPER SAYING THEY FIXED IT! CRAZY! NOW WITH ONLY 28, 000 MILES IT SOUNDS LIKE I PUT BAD GAS IN! IT TINGS ALL THE TIME! I HAVE PUT SUPPLEMENT IN THE GAS. BOUGHT PREMIUM GAS WENT TO SEVERAL GAS STATIONS TO STILL HEAR THE NOISE! CADILLAC CONVERTER? LIFTERS? I HAVE NO IDEA! THEY SAY THAT THEY CAN RUN SOME CLEANER IN GAS AND ENGINE FOR ALMOST $300.00! REALLY! I HAVE OWNED SEVERAL NEW CARS NEVER HAVE I HAD NOISE THAT I HAD TO PAY FOR SHOULD BE UNDER WARRENTY. I AM SURE I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE WITH THE NEWEST OF MY PROBLEMS.

Great car after 1 year

by Hyundai Convert from Kenosha, WI | May 6, 2014

I bought my Boston Red Veloster Turbo in February of 2013 when I lived in Richmond,VA. I was looking for a hatchback with good fuel economy and fun to drive. Coming from a black 2000 Camaro SS with non functional air conditioning, I had no desire to bake in the VA heat that summer. The Veloster is a great car I am happy to have it. The seats fold down and can swallow anything. In October of 2013 I took a new job in Wisconsin and drove the Veloster from Richmond to Kenosha with a stopover in Michigan. The second day was a nine hour day and when I got to my parents house in Michigan, I was not tired or sore. The Veloster has what I call the right amount of technology. The touch screen controls the Nav, radio, and the settings on the car. The I-Pod connectivity is great, and controling it from the touch screen is easier than from the I-Pod itself. The climate controls are easy to use knobs and buttons. I love the bluetooth and how it was easy to set up my old Andriod and my new Blackberry. There are two negatives. The voice control for the radio and the phone is total disobedience, plus the Bluelink leaves alot to be disired. I had an O2 sensor fail in March of '14 and the Bluelink prompted me to use it to call for a diagnosis. I hit the button and after three rings, it hung up on me. I then hit the button on the mirror and could not understand what was said. That is a little concerning that if I get in a wreck it is suppost to call for help. The Bluelink aside I am very happy with my Veloster, furthermore the warrenties are seond to none. I would recommend a test drive of the standard and turbo before making a decision. The standard version with the auto felt a little thin on power, so I got the turbo with a 6 speed.

Pass by Gas Stations More Often

by Tooker from New Brunswick, Canada | March 30, 2014

I live in northern N.B. Canada. We have long winters and lots of snow. 10cm of snow is falling as I type this and it's March 30th. If you're looking to save at the pump this car is ideal, but if you need that real sense of security during winter driving then you need to be looking at something that has AWD. In addition, the hard plastic arm rest on the driver's side door will lead to a sore left elbow if you rest it there for even a short amount of time. The car is low to the ground, so it actually can be challenging getting out of it, even if you're in great shape. For front wheel drives, it handles like all other front wheel drive vehicles in the winter. I have good winter tires on it, but quite simply it's not an ideal car if you live in an area that has very tough winters.

A LOT OF CAR FOR THE MONEY

by VITO from FINCASTLE, VIRGINIA | January 25, 2014

I CHOSE THIS CAR PRIMARILY FOR THE UNIQUE STYLE AND FOR ALL THE STANDARD EQUIPMENT. I ADDED THE STYLE PACKAGE TO THE BASE, 6 SPEED MANUAL. THE RIDE IS SMOOTH AND COMFORTABLE ENOUGH. I'M A LITTLE SPOILED BY MY LEXUS LS, BUT THIS LITTLE CAR IS QUITE COMFORTABLE. THE SOUND SYSTEM, 450 WATTS AND 8 SPEAKERS IS BETTER THAN MY LEXUS'. I TELL FRIENDS THE DASBOARD REMINDS ME OF A KLIGON WARBIRD, VERY SHARP AND VERY FUNCTIONAL. SOME PEOPLE COMPLAIN ABOUT NOT HAVING A SPARE TIRE. I ALMOST DECIDED TO BUY A FULL SIZE SPARE, AND BUILD A NEW RAISED PLATFORM IN THE TRUNK TO ACCOMDATE IT, BUT I READ THAT 85% OF SPARES ARE NEVER USED AND END UP IN JUNK YARDS. I'LL TAKE MY CHANCES WITHOUT ONE. THE INTERIOR IS SPACIOUS, GREAT TRUNK SPACE, COMFORTABLE SEATS, SUPER SUNROOF (I LOVE THE POWER SUNSHADE WITH IT, A FIRST FOR ME) AND I LOVE THE USB. I'M NOT VERY TECH SAVY, BUT I FIGURED OUT HOW TO TRANSFER ALL MY MUSIC FROM WINDOWS MEDIA TO A USB. NOW I'VE GOT OVER 1000 SONGS TO PLAY ON THE CAR'S SYSTEM. THAT SURE BEATS DEALING WITH ALL THOSE MUSIC CDS. FINALLY, I DID SOME RESEARCH AND CONSUMER REPORTS (VERY OBJECTIVE SOURCE SINCE THEY DON'T ACCEPT ADVERTISING) GAVE THIS CAR AN ABOVE AVERAGE RATING ON MOST CATEGORIES. I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS CAR TO FRIENDS AND FAMILY. FOR THE MONEY, THERE'S NOTHING ELSE THAT COMPARES TO IT.

Best Poor Mans Sports Car Ever!

by buschchris1 from San Antonio, TX | January 22, 2014

I had a Tiburon V6 manual before and after I came back from over seas, decided I liked Hyundai enough for another. I got the 4 cylinder Manual with leather seats and sunroof. For the money its great. It looks way better than other cars in its class, has a nice interior and feels like a little shuttlecraft from Star Trek. The sunroof makes a big difference in how spacious it feels so get it with one if your over 6 foot like me. The shifting is tight at first but works in like any normal manual. For a 4 cyl engine the manual is the way to go, more power control and its light so it can move if you know what your doing. It is a rougher ride but that's how sports cars are, they have tight shocks due to low clearance so stop complaining other people, if you want comfort, get a medium sized sedan with regular tires. I love it so far, im at 31k miles right now. There is only one complaint and that's the Hyundai Bluelink (Bluestink more like it), if you don't pay for the service, the GPS wont work and it pops a registration message every time you turn it on. Your not going to win any races with a stock engine. The turbo is a lot more power and if you got the money, go for it. I am getting 33m/gal with a mix of highway and city so it does well. I drove to Austin from San Antonio and got 36m/gl. I calculated myself as I didn't trust the dash display and it was about .5m/gal off so not too bad. The warranty makes it worth it to get this over anything else not to mention the safety rating seems better then the rest in it class. I would say Hyundai so far has kept me loyal thus far. If they would only remove the blue link and allow more customizing in the head unit it would be perfect. Cheers.

Good not great

by Just a guy from San Jose | December 19, 2013

I have a little bit of buys remorse on this car. I like the look. I like the zippiness, tight turn radius, and decent gas mileage of the turbo model. I had a 300+ hp sports car before so this says something. However there is a slight odor of oil when I run the heater and when the car parks in the garage. The car is little hard to shift into gear when on a sharp downward slope. The plastic interior has really shows the where you touch it. The car only has 700 miles so I am a little concerned about build quality.