1999 Infiniti I30

21 city / 26 hwy

Overall

Built Well

by metalgear1234 from Bakersfield, CA | August 12, 2014

I purchased this car 8 years ago with 59,000 miles or so and I have 222,000 miles on it now. I wouldn't be selling this car if I did not need an SUV. I read some earlier reviews, yes alternators will go bad on this car, a couple of them, but that's minor. I also own a 2007 Infiniti G35, but this one is more comfortable than that one and drives smoother for some odd reason. Love this car, I've been doing some research on some SUVs, can't believe how over priced other Japanese automakers are. After doing the comparison and reading different reviews, I have come to a conclusion that this car is probably has better value and has better quality than most other Japanese Automakers. I can't say whether that's true for the newer Infiniti models...So if they had a used SUV within the budget, I would've purchased one right away.

Infiniti is just like all the rest

by Typical driver from Florida | January 17, 2012

I bought my car new after owning a Ford Probe which was one of many cars that suffered from a lack of paint primer back in the early 1990's, resulting in peeling paint. As a result, I was disgusted with the American auto manufactures and decided to try Japanese cars and fell in love with the Infiniti b/c of it's fit & finish and SMOOTH ride. At the time, no American car could compete with the ride, the warranty, or the level of polish. My Infiniti was fully loaded with features most American cars didn't offer in the same price class, like dual-powered front seats, automatic dimming rear-view mirror, and 4 year/60K warranty. For the first 4 years & 60,000 miles the car was great, but then the car began to hiccup or stutter while in idle; inperceptible when driven, but noticeable when stopped with your foot on the brake & the car in gear. The Infiniti dealer had it for a week & supposedly never found the problem. I lived with it for a few more years and another 60,000 miles until it got significantly worse. I took it to multiple shops and no one could identify the problem (mechanics don't exist anymore thanks to those idiotic computer codes). I finally identified the problem myself by doing a generic search on-line & realized Infiniti had (1) created a faulty design for their ignition coils and (2) had NEVER issued a report identifying it as a common problem. I lost all respect for Infiniti then, b/c their refusal to issue a repair notice made them just as bad as the American automakers in their refusal to take responsibility for a poor product (i.e. the paint problem in the 1990's). The car still drives well but now I have a service engine light that keeps going in & out and once again, no one knows why and the computer codes are no help. At this point I lack confidence in my car. However, I'm shopping for a new car (a Ford again) and although I've taken several test drives, I still haven't traded in my Infiniti. That's because, after test driving a Ford, with significantly less miles than my Infiniti, my Infiniti is still the better car. So I'm going to keep driving my Infiniti until the service engine light produces a code the zombie mechanics can deal with. Fit & Finish interior has held up with the miles, as well as the Bose sound system (still impressive like when it was brand new). The in-dashboard CD player doesn't work but the 6 CD changer does, and I've never had a problem with the windows, locks, sunroof, powered seats, etc. I've done some minor repairs, like replacing the ignition coils (about $500 for parts, assuming you do it yourself), and one of the wheel boots but no major repairs. Whether this is the car or my dedication to regular maintenance (oil change, 60K and 120K preventative maintenance) I don't know, but the car is solid and drives well. The interior fit & finish (wood grain) and leather seats have held up well also, and the leather cleaner from Infiniti does wonders for stains should you get them. My only qualm about purchasing another Infiniti is, I'm not sure they were designed for the long haul. I followed the preventative maintenance schedule & I realize things began to break after a car reaches 100K miles, but seems to me the car should be less problematic than it is at only 133K miles

Outstanding reliability

by TMS from | August 27, 2011

Outstanding design, I like it better than the early 2000's. Just change the oil and drive it like there's no tomorrow. Hangs corners great like glue, nice sedan with plenty of room but handles like a race car.

Best Car Ever

by Ljlovesinfinity from Suburban Chicago | June 30, 2011

We bought this vehicle new- one of our only new cars. It is shiny black with luxurious camel leather interior. The inisde is spacious, comfortable, great support in seats, great interior design with armrest and holders, and feels very spacious as I am tall and cannot find other car that feels so open. Have had no problems with anything, except normal maintenance. have to charge AC freeon every 2 years but that was only after 145,000 miles. Love this car! Some rust starting around wheel rims but otheriwse paint is gorgeous for 184,000 miles. Still get 20- 23 mpg, mostly around town driving. Amazing and classy car. Don't want to upgrade just yet!

Hard to Beat for the Price

by Chase from Texas | January 29, 2011

Can't recommend it enough if you need a good car for $4k. In the interior you have thick/tight leather, one of the best stock sound systems around, great climate control, good noise isolation, and all-around solid "feel." With the exterior they really nailed the sedan design. I like it more than the more rounded models that came later, and the limited edition comes with good rims (nice but not flashy). It drives like a dream. Low road noise and smooth feel when cruising, but if you need to punch it, this car's got it; I never worry about getting on the highway or passing because I've never needed to put it to the floor. The auto transmission is very intuitive and is good at being smooth when you want it to and empowering when you want it to. Like all decade-old cars you've got to keep up with the maintenance though. It's affordable if you keep up but it'll cost you if you neglect scheduled maintenance.

Great Car Love it.

by DavidGomez99 from | October 15, 2010

The girlfriend has a 2006 compact Nissan, although she finds this car a bit big, says this one definitely drives better. Exterior is a bit outdated, but has a lot of the features only available in loaded models in todays cars. Lacks blutooth, cuz they didn't have bluttooth back then. Sound is awesome, better than some of the custom aftermarket sound systems. Favulous car and yes, the "REAL" wood lacquered steering wheel does get extremely hot in the summer, so I got some "SHADES".

best used car i've driven

by Doughboy5656 from Sanjose ca | July 14, 2010

picked up my uncle from the airport, and he said he felt like driving, he owns a Mercedes S-420, i'm not sure which year, but he said he really liked the feel and the ride of my car. I've spent some where around $700 on repairs, but actually i guess it was only on all breaks, transmission fluid flush and a starter, so really the starter was only thing that was bad, rest was basic maintenance. cant wait to own thew newer i 35's

Can't ask for more~

by drummer45456 from Miami | April 3, 2010

Well my friend bought a 2008 Altima fully loaded, he says mine drives better at 118K than his 2008 Altima. My leather's starting to crack, but I guess the car is 10 years old and I've never parked it in the garage, best value for the money, if you're looking for a luxury car which is affordable, and something that has plenty of leg room in the rear, and also something that drives "VERY" fast, and something that has an awesome sound system, then look no further, don't waste your time on a camry, accord, get this you won't regret it!!

It's a good car

by calidude2009 from san jose | November 23, 2009

Well at 113,000 miles i had to replace the alternator, which my mechanic didn't diagnose properly to begin with, that's another story, after replacing the alternator, the new mech told me it's good for atleast another 100,000 miels...it drives really nice after 3.5 years, bose sound rockzzz it's better than a lotta custom sound systems ive hearddd

Everyone i know loves my car!

by DmnSacTO from Roseville,CA | July 5, 2009

Someone mentioned that teens would love this car, i'm 27 and i absolutely love it, because it has all the features stock, like it's got a bose stereo w/6 cd changer, it bumps hard, car's really fast and i'm tall, it's got plenty of leg room in the rear passenger seats, which most japnese car makers forget to add, so it handles like a sports car, has the comfort of a cadillac on long routes, man this car is so underrated i tell you, everybody taht drives my car tells me it drives nicer than theirs, i'm talkin 2007 Altimas, or newer benz...just one thing, the starter will go out on you at 100,000 miles which is about $200~ including labor. caRs nice!! and i get 26.5 mpg on the freeway too. if ur looking for a 4 door sedan look no further this is iT!!!!!!

Featured Services for this Infiniti I30