2001 Isuzu Rodeo Sport

Available in 6 styles:  Rodeo Sport Soft Top shown

Overall

Isuzu Rodeo Sport

by Two-timer from Dallas, TX | June 25, 2014

The Isuzu Rodeo Sport is the best vehicle I’ve ever owned. So good, in fact, that I bought two of them. Way back in late 2000, I really wanted a Jeep. I was taking regular road trips for work (I’m an efficiency/ business practices consultant) and had the dream of the open road, wind in my hair…straight Route 66 stuff. Sadly, comfort-wise, Jeeps can be a quite a beating on long trips. Go figure. In my search for a replacement, I randomly came across the newly-released Isuzu Rodeo Sport (which was just a newly-named, manned-up Amigo). I immediately loved it. It drove great, handled well, felt solid, and, with the removable sunroof and the folding soft-top, it’s like a Jeep but without the lower back injury. Fast forward to 2005: I drove it to roughly 135,000 without any real issues beyond having a transmission overhaul (cost about $900) around 110,000 miles that I, likely, brought on myself via neglect. I kept up with oil changes every 5K and a few light maintenance things, but that was it. However, while I loved it, life had taught me, at that point, that vehicles tend to implode, if not explode, as they approach 150,000 miles, so I sold it to a family friend who didn’t have my reservations about high-mileage vehicles for a steal of $3500 (I paid $20 K). Fast forward to 2010: I ran into the family friend and asked about the RS. They told me that they had reached nearly 200,000 miles, with only normal upkeep costs, and had sold it to another family member for the same $3500 price (Ugh!). After talking with them, and a few years of driving an Audi and suffering the upkeep/maintenance costs of a “high-dollar-premium-gas-only” car, I found another RS – the exact same as my original, just a different exterior color- with shockingly low miles. Fast forward to 2014: I have now driven my second RS to 156,000. I just incurred the only costly repair I’ve had with the new one, a water pump/timing belt switch that ran me $650.

What a great little vehicle

by bek from Frankfort, KY | May 24, 2013

152000 miles, nothing done to it but basic maintenance. I bought it used for $4300 a few years ago, and couldn't ask for a more reliable little vehicle. Like any vehicle that is 13 years old and a 4x4, it's not great on gas. I get 15-18 MPG, but that is to be expected. The interior is roomy enough for me (6'2", 360 lbs), and would be plenty for a smaller person. I would love to see Isuzu come back to the US market and release a new model of this, but this time with an electronic sunroof and soft top! I hate manually removing the soft top, and if you're caught in a rainstorm, it's really awful. But every Jeep owner knows about that. Speaking of Jeeps, the ride is far better than a Jeep offers. For the money, you really can't get a more fun and reliable vehicle.

Good value for the money

by Isuzu from San Antonio | December 2, 2010

These light Ute trucks are a good value for the money and somewhat underrated. There are some issues.....DO NOT BUY a vehicle with a "check engine" light on. Make sure the vehicle will pass state inspection. Check the manufacturere's recalls. Check the vehicle over for damage/accidents [not all are recorded]. Other than that - these are GREAT vehicles!

2000 Amigo 4wd

by Catchmy600rr from Eastern, PA | February 19, 2010

I am 35 and owned an Isuzu pickup from 1990 till 2005 when I got the amigo. I also have an Axiom and an Eclipse. The 2000 cosmetic updates to the Amigo/Rodeo were great. the car rides nice for such a short wheelbase and the V6 has plenty of power. Replacing/fussing with the soft top and plastic windows gets annoying, but riding with it down is amazing!! Throught the years I have found Isuzu's to be VERY VERY reliabe. I have over 500,000 miles on Isuzu's with no real issues to speak of. I have had to replace the front bearings as the last reviewer stated.

2001 Rodeo Sport 4WD

by jemrunner from Greenfield, NH | January 3, 2009

I am first owner on this vehicle, now have just under 140,000 miles on it. I can say unequivocally that it has been a good ride. Did what I needed it to do with very minimal troubles or maintenance issues. Only recurring problem I have ever had with it was the front wheel hubs - they need to be replaced every 35-40K miles or so. I hope to get many more low maint miles in this short bed 4x4 SUV.

Featured Services for this Isuzu Rodeo Sport