2001 Isuzu Rodeo

See Photos & Videos

Overall

2001 Isuzu 186K miles

by First Car from Atlanta, GA | June 18, 2014

This is my first car. I wasn't interested in a bigger car since it seemed like it would be a pain to drive. I love it BUT it does have issues that need to be fixed that are inconvenient and make my parents worry. I bought it for $2,500 so naturally I expected problems, and some of them I don't mind. When I bought it the driver side door wouldn't open from the outside, but I somehow fixed it. The main problem is that it has a turn on problem. So far no one knows what the issue is except that it's electrical, and it's often a pain when I turn off the car to stop for gas or the store. It needs to be fixed and could end up costing a lot of money to fix. So far it will turn on if I let it cool so it's a matter of waiting for the car to cool down, but still. It usually handles the highway very well, but I have had the transmission light come on and off at high speeds around 70 mph when trying to shift(I think). It was fixed once before for awhile by my dad when he noticed something wasn't on fully beneath my shifter, so I'm hoping it's just that. I really love this car, and from what I understand I just got unlucky with the car itself.

Best Car I've Owned

by PNW_Wildcat from | July 30, 2013

Owned my '01 Rodeo LS for 9 years and 120k miles. Very little maintenance required over those years. Handled snowy roads and high mountain trails like a champ. It's a shame they stopped making them after '04.

Worst vehicle I have ever owned

by Rodeo no more from Maryland | October 10, 2011

I bought this vehicle used with 120k miles on it. It turned out to be nothing but a headache. Lots of electrical issues, which is not unusual for a car this old, but repairs were costly -- for example, $100 in labor to remove the dashboard to replace the bulb on the check engine light! This was not the 4WD dive, and was the most dangerous vehicle I've ever driven if the day was anything but sunny and dry. In the end it fishtailed on a wet road when going uphill at 25 mph, and smashed into a telephone pole.

Excellence in reliability and affordability.

by Pete from CT | February 13, 2011

Best car ever for fair price. I've driven Isuzu Rodeo for ten years and never had any problems with it. Awesome car.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

faithful companion

by metafarmer from cincinnati | February 4, 2011

I owned my 2001 Rodeo for nine years and 152K miles. It was the most dependable vehicle I've ever driven. It handled snow and ice very well, was a great car for both city driving and long trips. It rode like a truck a lot of the times, but was still comfortable in most situation. I would say it was a great truck.

Excellent

by lovemyrodeo from | September 15, 2010

I have owned two. My first was a 95 and now I have an 01. Drove the 95 to 250,000 without hardly any problems. Both are very reliable and have had hardly any repair issues besides the usual maintenance. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone who wants an affordable, sporty SUV!

I love this car

by Rodeo girl from FL | June 13, 2010

I rented one of these in Hawaii and fell in love. Bought one shortly after and loved loved loved it.

trouble

by bjm from Atlanta, GA | August 16, 2009

i have owned this suv since new taken good care of it but after 100,000 miles everything breaks in the last year i have spent nearly $6000 on repairs.

Very good car... very top heavy

by Shay from Tishomingo, OK | October 23, 2008

I love my 2001 isuzu rodeo, although its very top heavy and ive rolled it 5 times, its very comfortable and cheap on gas.

05AltimaSE

by Supraman from Endicott ,NY | October 17, 2008

I owned a 01' Isuzu Rodeo LS for 4 years, I have to honestly say, It was a good vehicle for me....very dependable...wasnt the most luxurious, but it was a good SUV...wasnt exactly fun to drive around, except for maybe in the winter. The reason I got rid of it was, its not a very fuel efficient vehicle....Hope this helps someone.

Featured Services for this Isuzu Rodeo