2000 Jaguar S-TYPE

Available in 2 styles:  2000 Jaguar S-TYPE 4dr Sedan shown

Overall

good buy for me

by Rustyy from Michigan | June 17, 2014

I don't know why everyone degrades these s types so badly, I bought my 2000 s type with the 3.0 in Feb 2014. I got a great deal on it, because the transmission had issues, previous owner was dumb and apparently the shop he went through was too. Transmission slips every now and then, that's the ONLY major issue I've had, but I deal with it, its called maintaining your fluids! And changing your linkage... Ya the headliner needs to be reglued, a a window needs a new motor so what, its minor stuff. Only thing I don't like is the cost of a key, hope to god you never have to do that because it costs between 400-600 per key.

This car saved my life

by Trampled and well from Oregon | July 1, 2012

I'm not kidding. I was driving through a wooded area of Oregon last month when SIX deer suddenly burst from the woods right by the road about 20 feet in front of me. I skidded into a turn, but couldn't avoid them. Three bounced off the front bumper, one got gored by the hood ornament, wrenched it sideways and then slid over the hood, and two jumped on the hood, fell, and slid across the windshield. The car held, the deer all made it back into to the woods on the other side of the road, and the damage was all cosmetic. The grille, lights and hood were damaged, but the engine and windshield are fine. What saved me was the low-slung aerodynamic styling of the hood and the generally well-built body. A squarer car or one not as well-built, and the deer and I might not have made it. Absolutely a fantastic car, and still humming along with 80,000 miles on it.

LOVE MY CAR

by THE JAG from GREENVILLE, SC | February 10, 2012

MINIMAL PROBLEMS FOR A 12 YEAR OLD CAR, NORMAL MAINTAINANCE, DECENT GAS MILEAGE FOR A V6, I LOVE THE HEATED SEATS AND THE MID SIZE OF THE VEHICLE.

I get excited when I know I'm going to drive it

by geezerbelle from san francisco bay area | January 16, 2012

I've never been a car person...but the jaguar has changed my mind...fun is not the correct word...maybe "attitude" is more appropriate...you'll have great "attitude" when you drive a jag..it makes you feel really good about yourself...you can't help it. I'd rather have an older, classic jaguar than a new just about anything else.

Jaguar S Type

by Jagvette from Queen Creek, AZ | June 17, 2011

I have owned many cars including Jaguars and when Ford took over I was not impressed, they have used a number of 'Ford' parts from other Ford and Lincoln models which is not a bad thing as this helps keep the cost down, William Lyons (founder of Jaguar cars) used to do it all the time to great effect. The S Type has plenty of power and has all the luxury you would expect from such an expensive car, but buying it used is great as the initial off the forecourt loss is already done, therefore this car is great value for money. While the room in the back seats is not immense it is adequate and would be OK for ‘normal’ adults, if I had a complaint it would be the lack of room under the hood to work on anything but of course this could be to do with the fact that I wanted the V8 not the V6 and both use the same body shell. As I do all the maintenance myself the cost of this does not concern me however should it need to go to a dealer for something I cannot do because it requires special equipment the hourly rate are quite high. Overall the car is great but before purchasing one the prospective owner should do research on the vehicle at ‘club or vehicle forums’ but do note not all stories are true and often problems listed are the exception not the rule.

Stay Away From S-Type !

by Sporty Jag from Greensboro, NC | February 9, 2011

Our Jaguar has 86,567 miles on it and some of the problems we had with it so far is... The Oxygen Sensor went bad so whenever we stopped the car for more than 6 seconds, the car would start to shake and then cut off on us, so we would have to hurry up and restart the car, and it costs alot to fix it. Then when you park the car on a incline, the gear changer would get stuck and to get it unstuck u would have to have somebody else push it from the back of the car while you try to move the gear changer out of park which is very dangerous. Right now our transmission is slipping and choking going up hills on the road, so the transmission could die on us at anytime. We have had a lot more problems with this car. The car looks nice especially at night time with it's cat eyes taillights, but it's reliability is terrible. Stay away from all Jaguar S-types

Great Luxury Car

by Joseph III from orlando | November 6, 2010

This car is great. I bought mine with 45k miles and the money was well spent. I now have 92k on mine and have had no issues. Im looking for one for my niece thats how much I trust it. You get your money worth spending $10k on a $55k car. The 4.0 is the one I drive. I dont know about the 3.O And I dont know why they get bad reviews.. I think every car can have problems if you dont take care of them.

omg what a terrible car

by nomoreJagsever from Greensboro, NC | September 7, 2010

I bought my Jag S-Type 2000 several years ago. In spite of the fact that my car looks brand new, and I take good care of it, I DO NOT recommend you ever buy an S-Type. S-Types are infamous for having "issues" and my car is proof on wheels. I see a couple of people in here say they have had "no problems" but I can guarantee you that their cars are probably lower mileage in most cases. Once your S-Type hits 70K, you can be guaranteed you will have multiple issues, the most common of them being transmission issues, oil leaks, coolant leaks, air conditioning failures, wiring issues....My car is so unreliable that I rent a car when I drive out of town. Do yourself a favor a buy a Toyota, Lexus or almost anything else.

Run away from the 3.0 S-Type

by next time I buy Japanese from Greater Miami-Lauderdale Beach | August 5, 2010

I bought my Jag 3.0 S type used with about 50K on it, and failed to do my research about how unreliable they are. Now I know! .. the hard way! Take your time and read thru the other reviews here and on other websites and see for your self. I can almost guarantee you that, eventually, your Jag S type will have the following issues: Coil failures, Coolant Reservior leak, oil leaks, heater failure, transmission slippage or failure, air compressor failure.... I could be here all day. Do yourself a favor,for the $6500 to $8500 that most jag types (average for 2000 - 3.0 as of today) cost, get yourself a used Lexus IS 300 or Infiniti G35 for the same money. Even with high mileage, the Japanese designed cars will be more reliable than the British Made Ford slash Jaguar. You will thank me someday.

Highly reccomended

by Debbie from Texas | May 4, 2010

I bought this car over a year ago, and have had no problems at 82000 miles. The driving experience is incredible. I've owned a Lexus and a Volvo, and this is the best car I've ever bought. This car has a certain look and appeal that turns heads. I would highly reccomend this car to anybody, and will buy another Jag very soon.

Featured Services for this Jaguar S-TYPE