The XF is Jaguar's entrant in the luxury sport sedan segment, and it's undergone a styling makeover for the 2012 model year, with the focus being the car's headlights. A high-performance XFR version is offered. Competing models in size and/or price include the Audi A6, BMW 5 Series and Mercedes-Benz E-Class.
New for 2012
The XF and XFR have thin bi-xenon headlights with LED daytime running lights that more closely mimic the lights on the brand's flagship XJ sedan. To further differentiate the high-performance XFR, Jaguar has enlarged the mesh-filled openings in the lower bumper. Styling revisions continue at the rear of the car and in the cabin, and new stereos are available.
Distinctive characteristics include a sculpted hood and prominent aluminum trim surrounding the side windows. The XF has front fender vents similar to the XK's. The XF's rear sees minor changes, including new taillights that incorporate LEDs. New alloy wheel designs are available from 18 to 20 inches in diameter. Exterior features include:
- Standard steel/alloy body material
- Standard trunk lid spoiler and side sill extensions (XFR)
- Standard four tailpipes, special 20-inch wheels and a more aggressive front end with large chrome-ringed lower-bumper vents (XFR)
- Standard cooling vents in the hood (XFR)
The interior combines traditional cues with contemporary touches, like a rotary knob in the center console that serves as a gear selector. When the engine is started, the knob rises out of the console, and closed air-conditioning vents rotate to the open position. The XF also uses proximity sensors in place of switches or handles for the reading lights and glove compartment lid — a wave of the hand does the trick.
For 2012, the XF's seats have been revised for better support, and Jaguar has done away with many of the silver buttons of the prior car, replacing them with black ones that should offer better legibility.
There are three new stereos, including a 17-speaker premium system from Bowers & Wilkins. Two USB ports and Bluetooth-based audio streaming provide multiple ways to connect a portable music player. Interior features include:
- Standard sunroof
- Standard heated seats
- Standard aluminum and real wood trim
- Ivory or charcoal soft-grain leather standard in XFR
- XFR models get dark oak and darker, mesh-pattern aluminum trim
Under the Hood
Mechanical features include:
- Standard 385-horsepower, 5.0-liter V-8 engine
- Optional 470-hp, supercharged 5.0-liter V-8 (Supercharged models)
- Optional 510-hp, supercharged 5.0-liter V-8 (XFR)
- Rear-wheel drive
- Six-speed automatic transmission with shift paddles on the steering wheel
- Faster steering ratio and larger brakes on XFR models
Safety features include:
- Standard dual-stage front airbags, front-seat side-impact airbags and curtain airbags for front and rear side-impact protection
- Standard active front head restraints
- Standard electronic stability system
- Optional adaptive cruise control
People Who Viewed this Car Also Viewed
Select up to three models to compare with the 2012 Jaguar XF.
Asking Price Range
Asking Price Range