Jaguar's XJ is the marque's flagship sedan, and it competes with the BMW 7 Series, Mercedes S-Class and Audi A8. The XJ comes in XJ8, XJ8 L, Vanden Plas, XJR, Super V8 and (new for 2009) Super V8 Portfolio models. As before, regular and extended-length versions are available.
New for 2009
Navigation and a surround-sound system are standard across the model lineup. The XJ also gets a new high-end model called the Super V8 Portfolio.
In front of each front door is a chrome gill that Jaguar calls a "power vent." They echo the slats in the XK coupe. In back, a chrome strip spans the width of the trunk.
The XJ's all-aluminum structure is a rarity even in the luxury segment, where many cars utilize a heavier steel frame. Exterior length is 200.4 inches, and it's 73.2 inches wide. Stretched models add about 5 inches in overall length. The XJ is the narrowest sedan of its competitive set, but it's among the longer sedans in the class.
- 19- or 20-inch wheels
- Auto-dimming power, heated side mirrors
- Acoustic laminated glass
- Bi-xenon HID headlamps with headlight washers
- Auto-leveling headlights
- Front and rear fog lamps
The XJ's interior is simple and elegant, if not as opulent as the high-tech cabins in the S-Class and 7 Series. The trunk has 17.7 cubic feet of cargo space, which is tied with the 7 Series as the most in the class.
- Leather-trimmed seats and dash
- Available burl walnut or elm interior trim
- 320-watt, 12-speaker surround-sound system
- Navigation system
- Bluetooth wireless technology
- Heated front and rear seats
- Dual-zone automatic climate control
- Optional rear fold-down picnic trays
- Optional heated steering wheel
Under the Hood
Standard running gear includes a V-8 engine coupled with a six-speed automatic transmission. A supercharged version of the same engine powers the XJR, allowing the vehicle to accelerate from zero to 60 mph in just 5 seconds. The XJ's air suspension remains the same. It can automatically lower the car and maintain its balance for the best mix of performance and comfort.
- 300-horsepower, 4.2-liter V-8 with 310 pounds-feet of torque
- 400-hp, supercharged 4.2-liter V-8 with 413 pounds-feet of torque
- Six-speed automatic transmission
- Adaptive suspension
- Speed-sensitive steering
- Sport-tuned suspension with viscous limited-slip differential (XJR)
- Side-impact airbags
- Side curtain airbags
- Active front head restraints
- Front and rear parking sensors
- Antilock brakes with traction control
- Electronic stability system
- Break-resistant glass