1998 Jeep Cherokee

1998 Jeep Cherokee
Available in 12 styles:  Cherokee 2dr 4x2 SE shown
$598–$8,414

Overall

Best car I ever owned...I wish it could be cloned

by LOVE MY JEEP! from Woodbine, MD | February 14, 2014

I own a 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport...this exact model. I have been contemplating for years buying another car, but I have a very hard time giving this one up. It has 200,000 miles, and hasn't given me a lick of trouble (except of course for the normal things that fail after a number of years..e.g. water pump/radiator, etc.). I wish that the current Jeeps had the roominess and reliability as this one does. I have hauled more things in the back of this Jeep than you could imagine (like a queen size bed!). I can't say enough about his vehicle.

Great for Value!

by TheBlackJeep from Fargo. ND | December 6, 2013

I live in Fargo, ND. We are voted #1 for worst winters and my 1998 Sport tears through the snow like butter. My AC does fail once a year but its a $40 fix. I have Firestone Destination AT's on my Jeep and they amaze me. I love how simple the interior is, its plain and simple. The 4 liter engine is a hog too with a straight six. My mom has a 2004 Grand Cherokee with a 3.7 and mine is a lot meaner. A flaw that I wish it had was Full-Time 4 wheel drive. It was Part-Time instead. I mean it gets the job done, works perfectly but when he turn on pavement with it, the steering wheel jolts back and forth grinding the gears and will reset your electric shifting sensor which shuts off 4 wheel drive completely. But all in all, its a great suv for under $5,000. Highly recommend for young drivers or on a budget.

Value for the money

by pimped out ghetto car driver from portsmouth ohio | June 2, 2013

Really like the jeep! Great power, great turning radius!!! only had 1 problem and that was an alternator. Not and expensive fix, had mine rebuilt for 60 bucks! And they aren't the best for gas mileage but who really worries about that when your family is riding with you? Very dependable and would recommend to every1!

best value for the price

by Desperate dad from Worcester, MA | April 23, 2012

extremely reliable vehicle, outstanding in bad weather, gets you where you need to be. safe for young drivers but uses lots of gas.

Fantastic Daily Driver

by Frequent Trail rider from Atlanta, GA | October 24, 2011

I picked up a used XJ with a 4.5" lift on it and 33"s and have been hitting the trails constantly. Then when I have to go home, I unfold the seats and move my gear to the trunk and can fit more people for the ride. It's not the prettiest car, and sure ain't the comfiest, but it gets the job done, and stays together. Excellent SUV.

Uses car for Off-roading

It's a shame they stopped making them

by Pieface from Jarrettsville, Md | May 7, 2010

I bought my Sport in 1997 and it is still running today with 207,500 miles on it. It is a greet vehicle that never let me down. It runs through snow like it was a sunny day and have never been stuck. The only problem that I have had is with the air conditioning. It is always breaking down and has been fixed three times. Great vehicle Chrysler should be ashamed of itself for stop producing such a great vehicle.

I miss mine!

by Jeeper from New Hampshire | November 4, 2009

I had so much fun with my Jeep! It's spacious, I've loaded my entire dormroom in it for 3 years in a row with no problem! I've driven through some rough snowstorms with no problems and it's great off road. Mine was actually stolen from me recently (guess it really is a hot item!) otherwise I would have never given it up! I had to put alot of repairs into it around 115,000 miles but it was still going strong at 151,000!

Worth the Money

by Big Guy from Marietta GA | January 12, 2009

Bought it new in '98 and have not been disappointed. Intend on driving it for at least another 3 years, then buy another Jeep.

work horse

by fisherofmen from | October 31, 2008

I bought my Cherokee sport 4.0L with about 65,000 and now have 149,000. There has been no down time. I've used it to pull a car from OK to ND, and a 20ft boat all summer. Not made for pulling but still have a tranny and no slippage. I run in third gear and never over 65 while pulling. For the abuse it's still going strong and doesn't use oil even though when I first start it it runs a little rough.

classic, with flare, and second looks

by skant from clinton twp. mi | October 6, 2008

Viper red paint, charcold cloth interior, with complete wood trim to dash and doors, 10 disc cd player, covered trunk area, black accents to bumpers and dorrs for lower looking profile, grille incerts, and black out head lamps, with horizontal slits for tail mlamps, complete widow tint. K&N intake and filter, with MSD ignition with cool red spark plug linesd. All hoses under hood covered in conviluted tubing and Armaraled.