We've given this page a whole new look

View the new design

2000 Jeep Cherokee

2000 Jeep Cherokee
Available in 12 styles:  2000 Jeep Cherokee 4dr 4x4 shown
$977–$9,245

Overall

good vehicle if maintained properly

by owner from | June 25, 2016

My family has always been a fan of the jeep brand as long as it has the 4.0L under the hood.I bought my first jeep at 142K and it is still running now with no problems, but it is the third cherokee and fourth 4.0L jeep we have owned in my lifetime. I have heard people not like these jeeps because they are "unreliable", but that is usually because they are not maintained well. While they do require more preventative maintenance than most vehicles (mainly head gaskets that need to be replaced every 75k or they will blow), if it is performed they will never die. WE have had all of our jeeps go over the 200k mark on the original times and only replaced one motor from a previous owner who overheated it multiple times. My mom had a wrangler 4.0L that went over 400k and would still be going if a deer hadn't killed it. I'm not saying they are perfect however. The negatives of these cherokees for me are as follows: the interior is too small and creaky. I am a bigger person but not huge by any means (6'2 250) and I struggle keep my head from grazing the roof and the seat creaks in turns and when getting in and out. and the outside is pretty bland and boring, but hey that's what the aftermarket is for. I really like my JEep Cherokee and wish Jeep still produced quality vehicles because these gems will not be around forever.

my first vehicle the best suv around

by dylanjeep4 from Bremen Indiana | March 18, 2016

I had this jeep for almost a year now i love it i love the 4.0L six powerful engine, trouble-free, the transmission shifts nice and smooth for being 16 yrs old, i love the command-trac 4x4 system, mine is almost fully loaded, i absolutylay love the cassette/cd player it came with from the factory great sound, mine also has the tow pkge it can pull a full 5,000 pounds all in all it's my baby, those ford explorers and chevy blazers of this year can't even touch the cherokee on off-road performance, the seats are nice but wish they had a bit more support for your back, the shift on the fly for the 4x4 is nice, and i also like the auto locking hubs great for winter, and the trak-loc rear diff is really nice on ice and snow and mud my only complaint is that i wish that the rear seat was a little bit bigger for everyone and the doors on the back are hard for entry/exit/ my only other complaint is i wish the rear window flipped up like the explorer and blazer and jimmy, it would be nice for loading small items but that's okay. i love my jeep cherokee sport and the sport emblem really means sport, i would buy another one again.

My FAVORITE vehicle of all time!

by Lady who loves a Jeep from Louisville, KY | April 8, 2015

Bought my 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 15 years ago and recently sold it to one of my kids as I had 2 vehicles and kept the small car that got better gas mileage. I tried not to think about it after selling it, but I loved it so much during the 15 years I had it I couldn't help it. Never had a single major issue with it, never used a drop of oil or leaked anything. I kept regular 5,000 mile oil changes on it and kept the fluids clean, along with the body, trim and inside. When I sold it (very cheap) to my kid, it was running perfect and I hated seeing it go. I hated seeing it sitting in the driveway, mostly undriven, even worse. I loved it every time I got behind the wheel because it was so much fun to drive. Extremely reliable, fun and great looking, sturdy, dependable and reliable transportation. They will never make another one like the 2000 Jeep Cherokee.

2000 cherokee rocks

by hooch from ga | January 31, 2014

Dont let a dealer steal one from you or steal u blind selling to you $7,000 for a 4x4 2000 cherokee classic is way too much. Unless Perfect. Ought to be able to get one for around $6,000. Dealer giving you $3,350 on trade is a total ripoff. Do the kelley book math. Its not rocket science.

Dont get car stolen by insurance co

by hoochbear from GA | January 20, 2014

bought my 2000 4x4 limited for $12,500 in 2003 @ 65K drove 10 years. Did have to have partial overhaul,(overheated, etc. full tuneup, etc. used filter oil NAPA/ Valvoline. Less than qt between changes..tight, great engine, 4x4, transfer case, front axle, shaft, rear axle, wheels. A USAA - insured person hit totaled it back in sept 2013. @ 193K. GOOD to VG condition up to then, expected to get 230K miles + at least.. all driveline was perfect they said they looked under neath & hood USAA was going to give only $4,500, or $3,700 if I kept for salvage. ("value"$800. huh!,) REALLY!) only minor mech damage driver sidet front, plus some body damage hood, driver door & 1/4 panel. Body Thieves!I was SCREWED! started to keep it. Try to get a 2000 Limited 4x4 for that, at almost any mileage. . neither appraiser nor USAA told me I could appeal amount.. they did raise to $4,900. that's closer to Wholesale. said average 2000 like mine sold at 180K miles. guess they forget about how long they last!. Again. I got screwed. over good! Somebody will get a salvage Cherokee for a steal. . should probably have kept it-- the $3,700 plus say $1,300 of my own would certainly have brought it back to 100%. reliable. TOTALING has to be only 75% of retail value. Insurance industry= CROOKS! + ruined my Fall, hunting season, fun, 65th birthday, this was 2nd jeep, put 0ver 210K on 2 of them!!!

total junk

by potential buyer from | October 7, 2013

I talked with the dealer in reference to a Jeep Cherokee, on the phone, after reviewing these same photos that are on the website. After travelling more than a hundred miles, not only was the Jeep on the lot a completely different one than the pictures indicted, but the sales person didn't have a clue as to what she was trying to sell. I would not recommend anyone buying a vehicle to shop Auto Barn. Complete false advertising!!!

Best vehicle I have ever had and ever will have

by Nate from Illinois | August 10, 2013

I bought my 2000 Cherokee Classic in 2003 with 31,000 miles on it. It now has 162,000 miles on it ten years later. And it runs like new. I have never had to put any work in to it at all. Nothing. I have driven my Cherokee in Manhattan, Chicago, Los Angeles, and across the United States 3 separate4 times. It has always ran great with no problems. I can't speak or write enough about how proud I am to own and operate this vehicle and how well it has performed for me. I have helped rescue stranded motorists out of 3 foot high snow drifts when few other vehicles could even get through the snow. My Cherokee, in 4WD, drove through the snow easily-combined with my driving skills. I rarely use the 4WD, but when I have it is great to have the shift-on-the-fly option. The cargo space is awesome when the back seat lays down. I love my Cherokee.

Best jeep ever had.

by jeep lover from Anderson, Indiana | February 9, 2013

All around just love this jeep. Handles great, looks nice, good gas mileage, all controls placed just right. NICE

2000 Jeep Cherokee 4dr, AT, 4WD, I6

by Sonny D from Professional guide and journalist | February 7, 2013

Looked at perhaps 40 vehicles...most way...overpriced or those selling had no real answers to serious questions. CARFAX was a major factor in pre-determining car's background history and helped put my mind to ease. Strong solid I6 engine...9 out of every ten of these vehicle engines last in excess of 250 - 350K miles. Rugged, 4WD, one reliable outdoor vehicle when you need it, you got what you need to bring to deep into the great out of doors, and return you safe back home after a long weekend of camping, or pulling that flats boat to some out of the way backcountry saltmarsh way out in the boonies...where no cell phones work and get you there and back out again.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

I wish I held on to mine....

by Jeep Diehard from Newark, NY | June 4, 2012

Bought my 2000 Cherokee Sport in 2009 with 110,000 miles on it. Drove it 3 years, only putting tires and a water pump into it. Decided to trade it in for a brand new wrangler (which I love), but nothing will ever compare to the classic look and reliability of the cherokee. Miss it already!

Featured Services for this Jeep Cherokee