2014 Jeep Cherokee

Starting MSRP

Overall

Nice & Fun, but Issues

by GregK1587 from Northeast PA | August 11, 2014

I bought a 2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude 4WD in white w/V6 9 speed trans. First off, I am a fan of the design, even though most of my friends aren't. Its different and cool looking. The interior is gorgeous. Mine is Black/Morocco with heated seats/steering wheel and cloth seats. I like the touch screen and haven't had issues with it so far. I have had several other issues though. I haven't come close to the city MPG Jeep advertises. I am around 15-16. Highway was good, though. Around 27. It drives fast and sporty. Low tire noise. The sound system isn't the best. I have had better in other cars. I have a squeaking sound when I go over bumps and a rattling noise in the back. The transmission has been very rough. Jolting during shifting multiple times and it happens every time I drive. Also shifting delays and the RPMs go up to near 5000 before it shifts. Another issue is the Sirius radio. I don't know if its the Sirius antenna or the placement of it, but I can lose it just because of tree cover or when I drive next to tall building even though there is clear sky above me. I am currently scheduled to take it to the dealership I bought it from tomorrow. Unless they can fix everything, I wouldn't buy this particular Jeep again, nor recommend it to anyone. If everything gets fixed and Jeep corrects all issues, then maybe, but I will find out after tomorrow.

In for PTU replacement at 1,800 miles

by JMG from Philly | August 8, 2014

Car is two months old with only 1,800 miles on it. Heard a loud metal on metal bang when making turns at low speeds - awful noise, I could feel it on the floor by the pedals, thought I ran over something. So bad pulled over immediately to inspect under the car. Then noticed a light grinding sound only when driving in first or second gear. Once at a higher speed the sound stopped. Drove it to the dealer - trying to avoid turns and low speeds! They tell me the PTU needs to be replaced and both noises I heard were related to this. Dealer had another 2014 Cherokee in for the same issue - he said there may be a recall on this. Repair is taking a week to order the part and perform the service. Very disappointed, when too soon to have any mechanical issues.

Problems

by Ang from Texas | August 1, 2014

Bought a brand new 2014 Jeep Cherokee and had problems of it shifting bad as soon as I got it. I took it into the dealer and they did some computer update and said it was fixed. Drove it off the lot and still having same problems. About 1 month later the transmission goes out and has to be replaced at 2000 miles. Took a little over two weeks to be fixed because the transmissions are on back order. Should get it back Tuesday of next week hope this gets fixed.

v6 trailhawk

by Jeep wrangler guy from WI | July 29, 2014

Loving my new V6 trailhawk. Traded in my lifted rubicon on this for a more practical vehicle. It has exceeded my expectations so far. Good mpg, nice interior. Went with anvil with leather group and tow package.

Honeymoon period is now over

by Disappointed in CO from Denver, CO | July 23, 2014

I bought my 2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk with a V6 in January 2014. At first I was in love with the car. I enjoyed everything about it. The ride was great, it took bumps with ease, and could tackle curb-checks like a champion. I liked the interior design, the touch screen was handy and easy to use. The different 4x4 modes were great, I used the snow mode in winter with wonderful results. I packed tons of cargo in with the seats folded. Over 7,000 miles later my initial awe with the car is wearing off and is making me regret my purchase. Interior- The interior is nice and the touch screen great, but not responsive until a short while after the car is on. Not the best in a cold winter when you want to turn the heated seats on and have to wait for the computer system to wake up. The leather trimmed seats are not durable. Everyday use will cause the leather to crease easily and nearly crack. I had to use extra product in treating the seats. I’ve had other cars with leather seats and nothing has looked this worn in the extended amount of time I drove them. The interior visibility is also bad. The thick front pillars make it hard to see when rounding corners. Not very pedestrian friendly. On the plus side the extra room you get when folding the front passenger seat forward is great. I just wish the 40/60 split for the rear seats was reversed with the 60 side on the passenger side and the 40 on the driver’s side. Exterior- The body panel spacing is bad. Very bad. It’s off by what appears to be as much as a ¼ inch in parts. I’m not sure if it’s sloppy craftsmanship or if they really are just that far off. The paint also does not wear evenly between panels. Mine is in white and some panels appear near yellow. Driving- I loved the ride at first. It’s very nice on bumpy roads, it absorbs them well. Road noise at high speeds is minimal and it seems to take no effort from the V6 to get up to speed and stay there. The big issue is the transmission. There is a jolt between 2nd and 3rd gear in my car and I was told the most recent tune will not address that issue. The rough shifting is frustrating and makes me wish they would have delayed the Cherokee more to actually get the transmission right. I know this is not a luxury SUV, but with 9 speeds, it would be nice not to be jolted around when shifting. Reliability- With just over 7,000 miles the PTU went out on my Cherokee. This is a very important part for controlling the 4-wheel drive system and it just broke. When researching it seems to be an unreliable part. That combined with how many people have needed transmission replacements I would expect the long-term reliability of this vehicle to be low. Once the PTU was replaced in my vehicle I noticed new rattles coming from under the dash. I’ve dealt with several dealerships and have had negative experiences at all. While it was hard to buy the Cherokee, it was harder to get it serviced and impossible to find a shop/dealership competent enough to trust. I will be trading my Cherokee in once I decide on a new car. I would not recommend the Cherokee or Jeep to any of my friends or family.

Very Happy

by Badger from Appleton WI | July 20, 2014

I bought a 2.4 4WD Latitude with the cold weather package about a month ago now. 2000 miles in I'm very happy. I know the exterior design has been the source of some criticism, but I like the lines, and I even like the distinctive front end. The 2.4L delivers adequate power when you need it and good fuel economy too. The 9 speed transmission is a little jumpier driving around town than I would like, but it's smooth once you get out of second gear and helps deliver the fuel economy mentioned above. I'm going to mention the transmission performance at my next scheduled service date to see if the updated software was installed on my Jeep before I picked it up. The transmission is the reason why I rated the performance at 4 stars instead of 5. The interior is immensely comfortable relative to other similarly sized SUVs that I tested. It's functional too, with storage in useful and unexpected places (like under the front passenger seat). As a former Saturn owner, I'm familiar with owning a car with a loyal customer base, but the other day when I was gassing the car up a guy with a Wrangler walked over to chat. He looked the car over and said "that's not a real Jeep, you know." I laughed. It's the first Jeep I've owned and I'm pretty happy with it. No it's not a Wrangler and it's not a Trailhawk. But it works for me, and it's nice to know when I head out west on vacation that there's some Jeep DNA in the drive train and suspension in my vehicle. I don't go offroad often, but I vacation in the mountains in the fall and the spring, and I'm confident my Latitude will perform better than my Saturn Vue did.

Transmission issue?

by socalsue from San Diego,CA | June 30, 2014

After reading reviews,I too have issues on my 2014 Jeep C. Automatic,4 cyl. Loud tire voice. I'm not happy with this new Italian transmission. While at a Stop Sign I noticed when I begin to drive, a hard shift accured. What was that? I thought the transmission fell out! This concerns me. It has not done it since. Just one time. I do notice the auto shifting is not smooth.That bothers me. Going to take it into Jeep Service.

2.4 FWD Limited

by macdragonfl from Fort Lauderdale, Fl | June 28, 2014

I waited to review after 3 months of ownership and 4000 miles. I purchased after my beloved Grand Cherokee was totaled. This is my 4th Jeep. This car was designed with a lot of detail. The doors shut solid. Interior is top notch, nicer than much more expensive German or Japanese SUV's. Transmission smooths out after time as gas mileage gets better. Not one issue with this SUV. The tech is world class. I get 24 mpg in city. The panoramic sunroof is awesome. It handles well, the ride is great, I feel pampered and safe when I drive it. Well done Jeep!

I WISH I HAD NEVER BOUGHT!!!!

by Keni from Highland Park, NJ | June 26, 2014

The engine grinds and screeches, the transmission knocks and there is a weird clicking noise coming from behind the dashboard...contacted Chrysler for a factory rep to check out the car, waited over a month for them to tell me that "it's normal" ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?

Write most reliable car I own

by Tony from Clifton, NJ | June 24, 2014

The jeep cherokee v6 awd is a pretty solid car. Specifically the trail hawk edition. Comparing it to the Limited is night and day. The trailhawk despite being a little stiffer when going very slow take bumps and any potholes like a champ. It handles very well for an suv of its size. The limited is a luxury version of the jeep minus the upgraded suspension and different wheel/tire setup. The trailhawk cherokee is what a jeep should be