2008 Jeep Compass

Available in 4 styles:  2008 Jeep Compass 4dr 4x4 shown

Overall

Can't Wait to Dump This One

by Jeep Lover from Phoenix, AZ | August 20, 2014

A year ago, I traded my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo for a 2008 Jeep Compass when the Cherokee needed a major transmission overhaul following an intense drive up Highway 1 with my daughters. I was trying to be a practical, environmentally-friendly mom by trading in my old 4x4 for suitable in-city truck. I couldn't be more disappointed and I'm stuck with this half-pint. I had no idea I was so spoiled by my Cherokee until I felt the sting of embarrassment and inferiority this summer as my girls traveled through Colorado on our annual summer trip. We listened to the Compass's engine whine and whir all the way from Durango to Ouray. The sound was only made bearable by turning the radio up really loud. The ultimate insult occurred when we were passed by a tour bus on one incline and then by a Prius on another. We weren't even towing anything! Ugh. We will be "trading up" before next summer. We have an entire continent to explore.

08 Compass

by Skyking from Bartlett IL | March 18, 2014

Purchased used for best value at the price. I consider it a Jeep Jr.. Not full Jeep capabilities but better than a FWD compact, Have the manual 5 speed 4 X 4. Mileage is OK. Performance is fine as a commuter with good bad weather capabilities. Is it a little coarse around the edges and yes less refined than the imports but it somehow adds to the Jeep feeling. So far very satisfied.

best suv for the money

by guy from grand rapids mi | March 5, 2014

I bought the jeep compass fwd 5 speed in 08 and love the jeep.. good mpg. good in snow.. I have put no money into it and I have 80,000 on it and its time for new tires and brakes but that's it... just keep up on the oil changes and have fun... I have a small boat and trailer that I haul and it will not do 80 up hill but it gets the job done... and I like the head room . so its a good buy....

Sucky vehicle

by Ricky02 from | March 29, 2013

I will not buy another jeep vehicle ever, I bought this thing thinking it was a reliable vehichle. It is not at all. The power transfer unit went out, which was caused by the rear differential binding up. It needs 5300 dollars worth of work. It is not worth the money. A local dealership from where I am from has 13 rear ends on order for jeep compass. Thats not a well made vehicle. They are a joke and shouldn't be produced.

A Best Buy

by Dakota from Washington | September 19, 2012

I bought this Compass new. It is a 4 wheel drive and has the larger engine. 28 on the highway is good enough for me. I have never had a single problem in the 45,000 miles I have driven it in the past 4 years. On trips there is plenty of space for luggage and etc. It does well in the snow and ice. The 17" tires give good clearance on rough roads. The interior is somewhat plastic however it is fine with me. The side air bags are a great feature. I would buy one again.

2008 2 wheel drive base compass

by TPSD from Meridian, Idaho | August 30, 2012

I bought this jeep for the gas mileage and cool look. Basically, it gets good MPG but comfort (long trips) and all the plastic in the cabin is the problem. The truck gets hot and the AC doesn't cover the 2nd row. If your looking for basic suv, I say go for it. Great for 2 person house but not a lot of room for luggage for 3 or more. If you want one, spend the money for the tinted windows and all the creature comforts.

Average

by SUV Lover from Chicago, IL | February 16, 2012

Affordable is the best way to describe the Jeep Compass. Good on gas! However, if you're looking for a little bit more space, such as the 3rd row seating...it's not in this vehicle. Overall average SUV.

Most Reliable Car I've Owned

by bd from Lawrence, KS | September 14, 2011

Have had this car for 3 years and the only problem I have had was a bad battery in the third month. It is getting between 28 and 30 mpg in town and does everything I wanted it to do.

Love the headroom

by fun and practical driver from Chicago | February 3, 2011

Bought the car for transporting cabinets for my business, fun, and gook mpg. Had three ford wagons before, and wanted easy access without the big SUV tires. Compass has 16 or 17"car tires.I have the front wheel drive for better mpg. Combined 20 and highway 26-28 even at 70mph with a/c. Seats fold flat including the passenger front.] Ride is comfortable, not at all like an SUV. The chassis sits high to clear 6-8" of snow easily. Riding over bumps on one side is minimially felt on the other. Relatively quiet on the highway, no annoying wind, or road or engine noise. Dash is very symmetrical, easy to use and see instruments. Radio is knob and push buttons. extremely user friendly.

Trading mine in

by Soon to be Previous owner from Chicago IL | January 21, 2011

Bought it new in 2008.FWD. Good car. Good price. Good gas mileage. Has been dependable. Almost scared to drive it whenever it snows. Horrible traction in the snow. Accelerating from a stop on snow covered roads cause the front tires to spin. Thought a Jeep would get excellent traction in the snow, right? Nope. This is my second winter season with this vehicle and i cant wait to get rid of it.

Featured Services for this Jeep Compass