1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Spacious and Reliable

by Its a Jeep Thing from Simsbury, CT | January 14, 2014

I have a 1997 Grand Cherokee TSI with the 4.0 Straight six. It has over 212'000 thousand miles and the motor is still running strong. I use only synthetic mobile one oil and have it service on time and everything the manual recommends from draining the coolant every couple years and flushing the transmission. If you take care of these Jeeps they will last forever. That said if you neglect them and treat them like third rate citizens, they will still last a long time but will give you heartache. They get less then 19 around town and they can get over 20 on the highway if you drive like a 90 year old woman on a Sunday, but who does that. I love mine and do my best to maintain her as best I can afford. If you buy one with a lot of miles on it be ready to invest some money to get her into a good stance but once there she'll treat you right.

Solid vehicle

by ordinary guy from Rochester Minn | December 23, 2013

I bought my 1997 V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited from a private party after it had a "soft rollover" off road, It was 10 years old and had 105,000 miles on it. A 3rd party replaced the windshield and front fender and did body work so that it looks fine from 10 feet away. I've used this Jeep as a daily driver ever since and it now has 211,000 miles. I've hauled stuff with it, towed other cars, driven in deep snow and even pulled the mailman out of the ditch with it. It sits outside all winter in the upper midwest and starts every day. Its comfortable and good power yet in the summer I can get 20 mpg combined driving. Its not perfect however, the A/C does not work, nor the rear wiper. During my ownership, I have replaced the muffler, front sway bar links, the driver seat heater and all the audio speakers. Its also had the intake gasket replaced. Overall, the dollars spent have been very small and it has been very reliable and more continues to perform very well. These are well designed and well built vehicles.

Not as Represented

by Elkman from Oklahoma | August 24, 2013

I paid nearly $2,000 over book value for this vehicle because of the low miles and one owner. However, after getting home with it I found several issues: (1) Brakes need replacing, (2) 2 of the electric door locks work intermittently, & (3) and most disturbing is the water leaking from the AC unit into cabin soaking the carpet. To date, the ordinary repairs for this problem have not solved the problem and I soaked a medium sized towel on a recent 40 mile trip. Very disappointing!

love the grand cherokee

by littlered from bonham,tx | April 3, 2013

I went to find me an older jeep grand Cherokee,i found a 2001 ,it was perfect for what I wanted to spend.Cramer Castle was very helpful in taking care of me.I will buy from Bonham Chrysler again.

For The Most Part.......................

by Jeeper Jeep Creeper from South East, Ga | April 2, 2012

It was a great SUV. When it was running, it was running. I Purchased on May 11, 2006 with 123,259 Mile on it. Char-Gold, Tow Package 4x4. It got 17 MPG City and about 22.5 Highway @ 65 MPH. It was still getting that same Mileage when it was Wrecked on 02/21/12, w/233,109 Miles on it. The worse problem I ever had with it was the Computer, which took me 38 Days and $489.00 to figure out. Symptoms indicated, Fuel Filter, Crank Sensor, Distributor, Spark Plugs, Ignition Coil and Fuel Pump,......................................ALL Wrong!!!!! It began with sudden Engine Stalls, the it got harder and harder to Crank or it would run for 5, 20 or as long as 4 hours and Stall, only to start the next Day and start the cycle all over again. This Problem did not start until after about 205,000 Miles. Before that, the only problems I had was with the Starter, Alternator, Battery, Power Steering Pump and a small leak on the Passinger Top Side of the Windshield. If I had known the Problem was the Computer, I would have save time and Money. The Dealer really Sucks when it comes to diagnosing that particular Problem. With the help of the World Wide Web and a few Parts Store Mechanics, we narrowed it down. Other than that problem for that Year Vehicle, (1997), It was a Terrific Jeep. I will even go as far to say, if I had Purchased it back from the Insurance Company, I could have Parted it out and Made a minimum of $1200.00. I wish I knew then what I know now;o) Remember, When your 1997/98 Jeep starts have weird problems, check the Computer. When you Buy one be sure to specify if you have a Security System or not, verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry Important. All the Numbers will Match, but you have to know that. Hope this Info helps someone with a problem or questions they are having.

AWESOME!!!

by H-Town101 from Michigan | February 20, 2012

I had one of these years ago and sold it. Saw this one for sale with only 128,000 on it with a rebuilt trans., limited edition, runs like a new truck, fast as heck. The only thing is I had to change the cat. converter & muffler, replaced with FlowMaster and now it sounds like a BEAST. Leather every where, no tears. Would always recommend to a friend, family member or stranger.

Good Ride

by nash from Prescott AZ | October 6, 2011

Purchased my Jeep Grand Cherokee limited in 2000. I now have 215,000 miles on it. I use it for hunting and trail driving, as well as a daily driver. I have had next to zero problems with this rig, all I have done is taken care of basic maintenance items. It is very capable off road and in the snow, although I don't jump gorges or climb rocks bigger than the jeep. It has always gotten me where I want to go and I go to some rugged spots. Can't say enough good things about this Jeep.

Most Dependable Car I've Ever Bought

by Jeep Lover from Carrollton, GA | August 28, 2011

The Jeep that I bought was used and it already had over 100K miles on it but it was in great condition. For the 3 years that I've had it, I've only had to fix minor work on it until this year (2011). They are reliable SUVs and I would buy another one in a second.

Good all around, still going strong

by High school farm boy from Ohio | July 21, 2011

My Grand Cherokee Laredo has 117k miles and is still running strong. Good off- road ability, I have only been stuck once (3 foot snow bank got me). The 4.0 I-6 gives decent power. With the back seats folded down, there is a lot of room for firewood, seed bags, etc. Gas mileage isn't great, though mine is the all time 4x4 model and I average about 16 mpg. Overall a good vehicle. Everything kept stock. ( So far)

Love the Cherokee

by outdoor family from Spokane WA | April 21, 2011

We bought a used Cherokee as a primary family vehicle for trips to the mountains and to the desert for hiking, fishing, etc. Never had a problem with the car at all and we took it all over including cross country. It was roomy, great back area for storage and could throw a canoe and additional luggage or carrier on top. I would recommend the Cherokee to anyone who is active outdoors but still wants a vehicle that looks higher end on its interior.

Featured Services for this Jeep Grand Cherokee