1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Available in 4 styles:  Grand Cherokee 4dr Laredo shown
$906–$7,386

16 city / 21 hwy

Overall

It's what you make of it.

by Driven this Jeep through everything from Kentucky | May 23, 2015

I have the Laredo with the 4.7 V8 with the Infinity Gold factory sound system, leather seats and mostly no upgrades except for custom floormats and an aluminum rear end body from when I had the rear suspension area rebuilt, and use it as a commuter vehicle and a wild off roading machine. I've owned my Jeep for almost 3 years and I've come to learn several things about my vehicle: Pros: -The interior is not only durable to any condition and cleanliness but also extremely comfortable and the Infinity Gold sound system still sounds better than most custom ones out there. - This Grand Cherokee performs just as well as any Wrangler off-roading (and honestly is way comfier) -Handled 16 inches of snow, 14 inches off mud, and forded several creeks without getting stuck or having any major problems -The full time 4x4 makes parking anywhere easy, and has helped me dodge several potential wrecks -The 4.7L V8 helps drive through any terrain and has great acceleration -Some people say they've had rough rides in these but I've kept up on maintaining the suspension and have always had a comfy ride on/ off the road -Fairly easy to repair/ replace some parts of it even with limited mechanics knowledge Cons: -The full time 4x4 Quadra-Trac system wears down drivetrain parts faster than most other vehicles that are selectable 4x4. -Even at it's best fuel milage, I get about 17 mpg on the highway and about 12 in the city -When major parts (engine, transmission, transfer case, etc.) break or need replacing, it is not cheap and takes a good bit of time to fix. -Since the vehicle is used and older, it seems like I'm having to replace or fix something every couple of months Summary: It's a Jeep, and a great one at that. I've put mine through it's paces on and off the road and can't see me leaving it until i get it stuck somewhere I can't save it or it gets totaled in a wreck. I've had to replace or fix many parts on it, but come on, it's a vehicle that's at least 16 years old as of 2015 so of course things will fail or break at this point on if they haven't already been completely replaced. As long as you maintain it well and check everything after off-roading (one should always do this anyways), this Jeep is an outstanding solid vehicle all around.

Okay First Car

by Jeepers from South Carolina | February 16, 2015

Have owned my '99 Jeep GC for almost three years now. It has been okay for a first car, but it's time for something new. The 2nd Gen GC is my favorite exterior design. It is timeless. But, it is a chore driving this SUV. The steering is very heavy especially while parking, it always feels out of alignment, the seats are comfortable, but there is no leg room if you are over 5'5". The suspension is very poor, you feel every bump through your spine and through the steering wheel. The transmission sucks. Very reluctant to shift when cold and revs past 4000-5000 RPM before shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear. Everyone loves the design of this GC, but hates riding in it. Reliability has been so-so. Have had to put new belt pulleys, hoses, fuel filter, axle fluid, steering fluid, completely new brakes on all 4 wheels, new tires, new transmission fluid/filter and more just in 3 years of ownership. Always wonder whether it will start when I turn the key. It never wants to start the first time. Won't buy another Jeep.

Great 4x4, but high maintenance.

by MT Man from Montana | November 16, 2014

This Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo V8 can go through anything. Excellent in all weather conditions. I have Hankook Dynapro ATM tires and it's the perfect combo. Never had a better car in the snow. However, while the Jeep is a great vehicle it's pricey to maintain. Just about everything has been repaired or replaced. Got more money into the car than what I bought it for. MPG could be better. I get 16/24ish depending on conditions. Power with the V8 is good and passing is not a problem. Plastic lower body panels are good protection from rock chips, but fade to a blotchy gray. I like how high up I sit when I drive, though it does drive like a truck. You don't float like a Cadillac by any means. You feel the road, every little bump. Overall, if you want a good 4x4 that's also a daily driver get this car. I recommend it. Just realize that it comes with maintenance.

never stopped putting parts in it

by me from michigan | February 27, 2014

Since we bought it we put over 6000 in parts in it including two radiators, two timeing chains, trans, transfer case, and more that I can't remember and we have only had this thing for a couple years, all this between 130,000 and 150,000. So I guess if it has under that amount of miles it might b nice but now it just eats though parts faster then we can put them in so now it has to go...

99-05 4.7L common problems

by Dovakiin from | February 24, 2014

There is an acceleration problem where the engine refuses to accelerate no mater what you do. With this acceleration problem, if you are driving slow enough/stopped, the engine will shut off almost every time. The worst part is, no shop can figure out why this is happening. Often when you unlock the door with the key and try to open it, the alarm will go off. Every once in a while, the key wont turn in the ignition and you have to fiddle with it for quite some time to get it to start. And recently, the locking mechanism for the hatchback broke. All these problems are quite common among the early 2000 model Grand Cherokees, especially the acceleration problem.

1999 Jeep GC Limited is the most reliable car ever

by Darryl Groner from Amboy, WA | January 21, 2014

My 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee has 230,000+ miles on it and never gave me a bit of trouble until it 210,000 miles and then the AC/Heater went out. At 225,000 miles I had to have the differentials rebuilt. I have had some issues with the tailights but I think they were damaged by the previous owner so I'm not blaming Jeep for that. I am currently looking for another second-hand Jeep GC Limited because with 230,000 I am retiring my first one to work on my ranch after adding big tires and a lift kit. I'm hoping to find another of the same generation. I absolutely love that 4.7L V-8 and the body style of the 1999. The creature comforsts provided by the Limited trim package rival that of Cadillacs and Lincolns. I would recommend this car to anyone. They are absolutely awesome and i honestly do not believe there is another vehicle on the market that comes close. Otherwise I wouldn't be buying a second one after owning my first one for over 8 years and nearly 100,000 of the 230,000 total miles,

Honest Guy

by BrightBuyer from Marietta | September 26, 2013

I bought my 4Runnet from this guy, he's honest, fair, and really has a lot of information on the vehicles he sells. Great buy! Will def buy from him in the future!

It's a JEEP

by Deerslayer from Spokane, Washington | September 15, 2012

I had to replace my old 99 cherokee after the second deer tried to run me over and ended up totaling my beloved jeep. Since my 99 got thru a couple of deer encounters without me getting a scratch I decided to stick with another 99 only I upgraded to the Grand Cherokee Limited, This one even my wife loves for it's luxury and style. But I've still taken it to the mountain where it performs just like any other jeep--fantastic.

Wonderful jeep

by Jeep Buddy from ID | August 6, 2012

Really love this versatile and reliable jeep. I wouldn't expect anything less from a jeep product though. My jeep beautiful combines luxury with unmatched capability, love it!

Great truck

by Todd from Minnesota | March 8, 2012

I really enjoy my 99 grand, this little truck is one of the most reliable vehicles out there, I can trust that my jeep will get me where I want to go whether its out on the town or through the most difficult terrain. I have 257k+ miles on mine and still going strong. Has gotten me through some tough winters. I love my jeep!