The Grand Cherokee is one of Chrysler's bread-and-butter offerings. It's a five-seat midsize SUV. Trim levels include Laredo, Limited, Overland and high-performance SRT8 models. The Grand Cherokee's competition includes the likes of the Ford Explorer and Toyota 4Runner.
New for 2009
The Grand Cherokee receives a redesigned 5.7-liter Hemi V-8 and a new leather-appointed interior package.
The Jeep Grand Cherokee features classic Jeep styling cues, with a seven-slot grille. The SRT8's exterior features a revised front with larger air dams and cooling ducts.
The Grand Cherokee is smallish for its segment, trailing the Explorer and 4Runner's exterior dimensions. It comes in at 186.7 inches long and 72.6 inches wide.
- Standard body-colored door handles, grille, and front and rear bumpers
- 17-inch aluminum wheels (Laredo and Limited)
- 18-inch aluminum chrome-clad wheels (Overland)
- 20-inch aluminum wheels (SRT8)
- Optional sunroof
The interior features a rich two-tone cabin and an LED-illuminated instrument cluster. For 2009, a leather appearance package adds leather to the armrest, doors and the top of the instrument panel.
The Grand Cherokee has a decent 108.9 cubic feet of passenger space — larger than the 4Runner's (103.1). The Grand Cherokee has 34.5 cubic feet of cargo space, and almost doubles it with the second-row seats down (67.4). Cargo room is smaller than both the Explorer and 4Runner's.
- Standard air conditioning, optional dual-zone automatic air conditioning
- Standard power locks, mirrors and widows
- Standard eight-way power driver's seat, optional four-way power passenger seat
- Standard steering-wheel-mounted audio and cruise controls
- Cloth, leather or perforated leather seats
- Faux aluminum, wood veneer and real wood trim available
- Optional second-row 9-inch overhead TV monitor
- Optional hands-free communication system and remote start
- Optional voice-activated navigation and/or audio system (including touch-screen, voice commands, 30GB hard drive and navigation radio)
Under the Hood
There are several powertrains available. All engines team with a five-speed automatic transmission. For 2009, the 5.7-liter Hemi V-8 has been redesigned, now applying variable-valve timing and cylinder deactivation for better fuel economy.
Rear- and four-wheel-drive versions are offered, and the latter driveline comes standard with Hill Descent Control, which is designed to keep the SUV's speed to a crawl when traversing difficult terrain. Hill Start Assist is also offered and serves to keep the Grand Cherokee from rolling backward on an incline.
- 210-horsepower, 3.7-liter V-6 with 235 pounds-feet of torque
- 305-hp, 4.7-liter V-8 with 334 pounds-feet of torque
- 357-hp, 5.7-liter Hemi V-8 with 389 pounds-feet of torque
- 420-hp, 6.1-liter Hemi V-8 with 420 pounds-feet of torque (SRT8)
- Five-speed automatic transmission
- Rear- and four-wheel drive (SRT8 only available with 4WD)
- SRT8 employs SRT-tuned suspension, a lowered ride height and Brembo brakes
Safety features include:
- Standard side curtain airbags for all rows
- Standard antilock brakes
- Standard electronic stability system and traction control
- Standard smart key that immobilizes the engine in a theft attempt
- Optional parking assist and rear backup camera
- Optional rain-sensing wipers and automatic headlamps
People Who Viewed this Car Also Viewed
Select up to three models to compare with the 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Asking Price Range
Asking Price Range