2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee

See Photos & Videos

Overall

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Diesel

by scm68gt from Santa Cruz, CA | July 11, 2014

We have owned our Jeep for 9 months and 7,000 miles, now (July 2014). Overall, I am happy with it - my wife not as much - although she LOVES the voice command system. The fuel economy is good (running about 25 mpg) particularly considering we drive down and up a 2,500 foot mountain every day. Even better is the fact that the cost of diesel has been lower that gasoline since we bought it. Not that that will last too much longer. But we really like getting 600 miles to a tank. The fit and finish are very good and I like the fact that it has a real spare tire. It has a 2 electronic keys that can be programmed separately for 'his and hers' setting, including favorite radio stations, seat position and outside mirror position. (Unlike the BMW we had previously that had the Inconvenience package). The headrests on the rear seats can be folded down for improved visibility. But, I do not like the shifter. It is not intuitive having to pull the shifter toward me to move into reverse. It has been in for service once, so far (at 5,000 miles). But just before I took it in, the Check Engine light came on. I was a bit disconcerted that the manual was lackadaisical about this. It basically says that this condition usually corrects itself after a while. When I got the jeep to the dealership for service, I asked them about it. (oh .. and another warning showed up as I was driving to the dealership - something about us needing to drive at highway speeds to clean the exhaust particulate filter. It turns out that the Check Engine light came on because we do not drive at highway speeds (over 50 for over 20 minutes) often enough. The dealership was able to cure the problem - but no one had bothered to tell us we needed to run the jeep on the freeway. Other that that, the Jeep is running fine. In Eco mode, it is a bit slow off the line and does hesitate sometimes when you floor it. But slap it into Sport mode and away you go. Of course, if you are not careful, your mileage will suffer. I have found that keeping it in Sport mode and shifting it myself let's me have the 'get up and go' when I need it and still maintain the mileage. Overall, I think this is a very nice SUV. I am looking forward to taking it off road (nothing extreme, though) and in the snow. It is not a speed racer, but has excellent torque and it does take a while to get used to the diesel approach to life. I am a bit concerned about the reliability of all the gadgets, though. But that will sort itself out as time goes by.

2014 jeep grand cherokee overland

by vinny from brooklyn new york | July 8, 2014

the salesman johnny rodriguez over at bayridge jeep dodge Chrysler ram gave me a great deal on a great jeep if your looking for a good deal go over to bay ridge jeep dodge Chrysler and ram.

inconsistency

by Vinny from RENO | July 6, 2014

The problem with these vehicles is not the actual car but the manufacturers. This is evident in all the reviews. Some have excellent experiences while others have horrible ones. I'm on the horrible side. I made this car my project and have completely disassembled it. I've noticed many short cuts and mistakes over the years of repairing it. Lots of electrical and heating/cooling/HVAC problems. Every six months there's another issue. If I can offer one piece of advice, learn the engineering design of the vehicle and DO NOT TAKE IT TO THE DEALERSHIP. They are just as lost as the original manufacturers. If you are an off-roader buy the Wrangler but if you just want a reliable, consistent vehicle, next time buy a Toyota.

AWESOME RIDE

by JCox from Columbus , Ohio | July 6, 2014

Perfect vehicle in every way. VERY HAPPY! Don't understand why all the negative comments. Some people must over exaggerate, because there has been a ton of new JGC sold in my town and I always make a point to talk to the owners and haven't talked one yet that has had a problem with there's.

Good looking SUV and OK IF you need 4x4

by Tallguy from Vancouver, BC, Canada | July 5, 2014

2014 Limited with Luxury Package and Large screen with NAV. Had the 2012 Laredo with Leather and large Nav screen before, the 2014 is not offered in this configuration in Canada so in order to get leather seats the Limited needs to be taken. Like: Large interior, lots of legroom, especially in front. Good entertainment system, Not so good: NAV system is not user friendly, can't be operated while the vehicle is in motion and the system is far away from the one in the VW Touareg for example. Bad: 8 speed transmission shifts are rough and although it's better than the previous 5 speed transmission is still unacceptable for a $60K vehicle (incl. taxes). This really ruins the experience. 6 cylinder lacks punch. I'd only recommend the low level Laredo. When you buy then I'd recommend the base VW Touareg TDi. I'm regretting having bought the Grand Cherokee (business use for sales job) but this will be my last Jeep and when I think of it, I don't need the off-road capabilities of the Jeep.

WOW, what a vehicle to look at ... and that's it!

by BGF from denver, co | July 3, 2014

i purchased my 2014 GC Overland Diesel w/QDII in June of 2014. At first, i loved it ... as with my marriage, the love affair was short lived. after 1,624 miles, i started to have the *christmas tree* lights with the onboard electronics. also, the transmission is just NOT RIGHT (at slower speeds it cannot figure out if it wants 2nd gear or 5th gear ... like its *guessing* where to be???). how jeep let this product go-to-market with such GLARING issues is beyond believe. probably the worst thing is, trying to get ADEQUATE DEALER RESPONSE. i called the dealer to make an appointment to address my concerns/issues ... 3 weeks. 3 weeks to get the vehicle in ... this is ridiculous! i payed more for my BMW but man, i'm treated like royalty when i walk into the dealership ... not so w/jeep. i'm in the process of lemon-lawing this vehicle ... going back to my BMW Diesel (X5). also, i think the EXPERT REVIEWS on cars.com needs to test drive MULTIPLE jeeps (and not test drive jeeps that have been delivered to them) ... it seems their problem/failure rate is higher than average ... until you've experienced one of these *problem* vehicles, you have no idea what a pain in the butt they are ...

Research Transmission Issue and HVAC issues!

by I pick the Wrong SUV from Atlanta | July 1, 2014

I and few other are currently looking into the Lemon Laws for all the issues we have had with the 2014 Jeep Cherokee. At 2000 miles, they replaced my transmission. The new transmission is starting to slip like the old one. I am only at 3500 miles. I don't know what crack head desgin the HVAC system but it stinks! It compares the temperature outside to the inside the vehicle to regulate the temperate. EVEN set on A/C, if you set the inside temperature higher than the outside temperature, it will blow hot air (upwards of 135 degree). Thus in the Spring and fall when air is about 70 degree outside (I live in the south), its gamble if you will get cool or hot air. Up north, you may never get cool air!

Best of All The Rest

by JR from South Florida | June 29, 2014

This is my 19th new car. I have owned from Fords to Cadillac’s to Jeeps to, well you get the picture. This 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee is one of the best of all the rest. It is a pleasure to drive in comfort, safety and reliability.

Very very happy...

by Import Owner from Raleigh, NC | June 25, 2014

I wish all of the early build 2014 JGC buyers would post updates after their issues were cleared up. I suppose you don't have anything to post about if you aren't complaining. I bought my 2014 JGC Altitude (V6, 4x4, black on black on black, May 2014 build date) last week, and the first 500 miles have been stellar. This is my first SUV in about 15 years, and in that time I have purchased and driven a number of Audi and BMW sedans. I got this because I needed a change, and wanted something that could handle whatever life might throw at me over the next 5 years. I was a little nervous about the transmission/electrical problems that some people have complained about. I think the most important realization that I came to was that Jeep is selling 18,000 of the JGC per MONTH, and so the problems on the reviews are therefore blown way out of proportion, especially if you think that someone who got a bad one is probably likely to post their problem in a number of discussion forums and reviews. The problems seems to be mostly software related rather than hardware. So here is my take.... I have avoided SUVs in general because I felt they were slow, cumbersome, inefficient, and unrefined in terms of interior quality, ride, and handling. While no SUV will match a nice German sedan in these areas, I am happy to say that this JGC beats the other German, Japanese, and American SUVs on the market that I tested (Q5, Q7, X3, X5, 4Runner, Explorer). The updates to the interior and the infotainment center really hammer the point home that this JGC is setting the standard for all other SUVs in the world. The only thing I worry about is that if I do need service in the future, the Jeep dealers don't seem to offer a lot in the way of a loaner fleet, so I have to plan my life around that a little bit.

What a fantastic Car

by KostaisGreek from Salt Lake City | June 14, 2014

This is a fantastic car. Sharp styling on the exterior. Very upscale interior. Has gone beyond all my expectations.