2002 Jeep Liberty

Available in 6 styles:  2002 Jeep Liberty 4dr 4x4 shown

Overall

2003 liberty freedom

by Jayster from michigan | March 19, 2014

I bought this in a pinch from the jeep nut down the road and it been a great vehicle, He bought it new and i bought it from him three years ago. It looks nice and very roomy inside. Has 101,000 miles and runs like new. The shift on the fly 4 wheel drive is great. Not to bad on gas, 17 city...24 hwy. No rust after 11 winters in Michigan. It rides very nice, the trick is the tires, if you buy the cheap ones it rides bad. The windshield did crack low under right wiper, If you off road with it the body will twist a little. Changed oil evry 3ooo mi and thats it. Trans should flushed every 40,000 . From what i read the ones who neglect the main will pay the price. After all its now 11 years old. People are used to leasing and just driving the heck out of a vehicle and giving it back. Great little true 4 wheel drive vehicle.

After 10 years I have to let it go - Hate it

by SteveKJR from Atlanta | December 27, 2013

Bought this car new in 2002 - drove it over 200,000 miles never an engine problem. Normal maintenance included oil change ever 3,000. Drove the vehicle mostly highway miles - 21 MPG - can't complain about that - lots of power when needed. Over the years replaced the radiator with a lifetime warranty - AC clutch then AC with lifetime warranty. Just recently I replaced the Ball joint in the rear wishbone that stabelizes the rear end. Changed out the Rear End fluid because the speed indicator would go from 0 to 60 and then back pulsating. Replaced the battery 2 times The sensor is in the rear end for those of you who don't know. After 185,000 changed the Tranny fluid - with new filters (two in this tranny). This vehicle is not a money pit - all things mentioned above are normal maintenance items. Not included were several recalls that took care of mfg items. So with all being said I am sad to say I need to get a newer vehicle. Last week a lady pulled in front of me and I T-boned her doing 40 MPH. The front drivers side is pretty well demolished - the other car was tagged at the front door post broadside hit. So it's been a great car it doesn't owe me a dime and I hate to see it go - but I guess it's time to move on.

Loved it!

by MommaSRQ from CT/FL | November 6, 2013

When I purchased this car in Nov 2001 I was thrilled, and still so today. but alas she needs some major work [A/C, tranny] and I will not put out the money . She has lasted for 169,000+ miles. Sure, sometimes the interior lights flicker when you put the directional signal on, but it makes me smile. My problem is picking a new car. Do not like the new Cherokee. If Jeep was still producing this I would buy another.

Thought we'd be together longer..

by SUV Enthusiast from Virginia | November 2, 2013

I bought a 2002 Liberty Limited Edition in January of 2013. I know an 11 year old car so I wasn't expecting perfection. Clearly. It had a little over 156,000 miles on it. I am a Jeep fan but the Liberty made me doubt that. Upon purchasing the Jeep it had a couple "here and there" issues that I found are common. The A/C did not engage in level 1-2 due to a sensor that needed to be changed. The lights (interior) flickered at random times as well. I ended up having to replace the A/C compressor as it literally melted. This was a costly repair. A month later the starter and water pump went terribly bad. I had everything replaced with new parts etc. The Jeep leaked oil, but that's a common problem with Jeep engines. It did not like the cold and living in the mountains of VA that's a problem. The front bearings went bad and squeaked terribly. Even the day after the starter was replaced (at a great repair shop) the Jeep did not start up on first turn of the key. That was the final straw. I drove straight from the mechanic's shop to the car wash to get it ready for it's new owner. I sold it and am getting a Chevy Tahoe. The Tahoe gets similar gas mileage yet has MUCH more room and a WAY better reliable engine.

Great SUV

by Brewer from Paradise, Newfoundland | March 22, 2013

I purchased this Jeep about 2 years ago. gas Mileage is not too bad for a SUV. It is fun to drive and in the time I have owned it I have not had to do any major repairs until now. Catalytic Converter is gone. I live in a area that gets a lot of snow and this jeep crawls over most of the snow in 2wd. Great vehicle.

fun size SUV

by blc from flint,MI | October 19, 2012

the Jeep Liberty Renegade is a fun sized SUV. Doesn't take off too fast- not a 0-60mph vehicle. Another draw back is the off road lamps, they can be hard to find and just 1 of the 4 lamps is very costly(approx $200ea.). i like the coordinating colors of the wheel rims and the color of the car. Not too bad on fuel either. And there is a 'recall' on the steering shaft due to the 'give' in steering.

Test Drove Multiple

by Un-Impressed from Michigan | July 4, 2012

Jeep Liberty's are the most adorable car I have ever seen, they look sporty and classy at the same time, and they just overall look nice. I took one out for a test drive and it was absolutely horrible, I don't know how else to describe it except for that it felt as if we weren't in the right gear or something, it sounded like something was going to break, even someone who isn't big on cars can tell that something wasn't right. I thought maybe it was just that one in particular, so I went to 8 other dealerships and drove the 2002 Jeep Liberty's there also and they all felt terrible. They look nice, but unless you're looking at a vehicle for a glass case, I definitely do not recommend this car. I ended up buying a 2008 4-Door Jeep wrangler, I love it. So far so good, no problems yet. :)

Good used

by umpire from Denver | March 19, 2012

Bought 2002 jeep liberty with 60000 original miles. It was absolutely spotless. The only thing I dislike about the vehicle so far is the gas mileage. I thought it would get a little better in town but is averaging about 16.5 and with gas going up and me driving around town all day wow. I guess its a sacrifice I make for the use in the mountains.

jeep

by shay from illinois | January 18, 2012

i love the jeep liberty i had a old jeep before it had broke down i am praying that i can get a good use one about 5000-6000 is my range i do not want any cars so dont try to put me in one thank you

great car

by renegade from springfield, il. | October 25, 2011

I bought this car brand new & it has been an excellent car.I still like the style of this car-doesnt look outdated & has really held up well. I love jeeps!

Featured Services for this Jeep Liberty