2008 Jeep Patriot

2008 Jeep Patriot

Available in 4 styles:  2008 Jeep Patriot 4dr 4x4 shown

Overall

Cant believe my luck with cars!

by Newbie Mom from Odenville, AL | September 9, 2014

A few years ago I had an Alero and someone rear ended me and totalled it. I then got a Nissan Xterra and the air conditioning went out within a few months. I traded it in for this 2008 jeep patriot. I have had it 3 years with no issues.....till now. A couple weeks ago it started making a loud noise when I was on the interstate but only if I got above 65mph. Then it also makes a loud popping sound when turning or going over big bumps. Took it to a Transmission place yesterday and they said the transmission needs to be replaced! I still have 2 years left to pay on it and it doesn't even have 100,000 miles on it!!!! How is this even possible?? And from what I have been reading its a common problem-yet the manufacturer refuses to correct it! First and LAST time I buy a jeep!!!!

worst car ever

by jd from pittsburgh | June 6, 2014

The worst car. This car was bought brand new sand after 3 yrs it has been non repairs. Car stalls out on highway in the past yr it has been in the shop six or seven time for major repairs and dollars. And jeep will not help u out one bit. Disgraceful

Plan on driving it forever!

by Thomi from Portland, ME | May 6, 2014

I bought my 2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4x4 brand new off the lot in April 2008. I was the first to test drive it and the last. I love the color. It's called Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl and it's black with metallic sparkles in it. My hubby washed it the other day and someone came up and asked me if it was a new Patriot. They were really surprised to hear that it's 6 years old. The car currently has a little over 108,000 miles on it and it's a little beast in the snow. The average gas mileage for my car is about 27mpg or if I drive all highway on a tank, I can get about 29mpg. The car is definitely driven a lot and used, it isn't a car that sits in a garage and only goes to the grocery store 2 miles up the road once a week! It has never been off road though. I'm sure it'd do well but off-roading isn't something that interests me. There have been a couple issues but nothing all that major. The ball joints needed replacement after about 50,000 miles which is a well known issue and this past winter, a couple valve stems broke but we have had the same awesome mechanic for over a decade and he fixed them no problem. We haven't had any problem maintaining the car. I've never had it go to the shop frequently or long term. My car came with the lifetime powertrain warranty but so far, I've never had to use it. I took it in for it's 5 year maintenance check last summer and the dealership gave it a clean bill of health. I have a manual transmission and the shifting is a bit sensitive but it never pops out or acts in anyway that it shouldn't. It accelerates well for a car it's size with a 4 cylinder engine and I really enjoy driving it. I'm 5'6" and my hubby's 6'1" and both of us are very comfortable in this car. There's plenty of room for driver and I sat in back as a passenger with a friend on a 4 hour trip while my hubby drove and I was very comfortable. The interior of my Patriot is very basic but that's what I like. I like manual locks and windows and specifically requested them when I went car shopping. I will say that if you open all 4 windows in my Patriot, it creates a very unpleasant humming and vibration that sets my teeth on edge so I never open more than a couple windows at a time. I have dogs and the interior is easy to wipe down which is awesome. My Jeep has AC which is a wonderful thing on a hot day. I only gave the interior 4 stars because the rubber that surrounds the shifter is coming apart and the driver's seat is cracking. I don't see any reason for the shifter cover to be falling apart. The paint on my hubcaps is almost all gone and the silver paint on my 4 wheel drive lever is peeling off. There's a small patch of rust on the nose of the car as well. I feel like Jeep could have done a better job in using more durable material but the Patriot as a whole is still a great car. I'm on my 2nd set of tires and I make sure to balance and rotate them as recommended and I also make sure my car's alignment is checked. My tires tend to last as long as they should or a bit longer. I love my Jeep Patriot and I can't express how satisfied overall I am with it. I plan on driving it until the wheels pop off and then I plan on buying another Jeep Patriot Sport 4x4!

Great Car for a tall person!

by Allgames from Cumming, GA | May 2, 2014

I bought this for my son, he loves it! He is 6'4", so this works perfect for him. The manual door locks and windows is pretty typical for some of the jeeps, but he does not care. The vehicle has lots of room, style, and function. I heard about the transmission from others, but I have not notices anything. It has 74k miles on it. I did buy the extended warranty anyways.

Love it and not agreeing with bad reviews

by Concerned from California | April 30, 2014

I have had my jeep patriot for 3 years and never used my warranty and it is at 86,000 mi. Its great in the snow and gets great gas mileage for a 4wd, great sound sysytem and features, i take care of this jeep though as i would suspect most of the bad reviews do not. Driving it hard and not changing oil or doing the recommended maintenance will of course cause problems. i hear all the breakdowns but not about how you took great care of the car. You simply cannot just drive a vehicle and expect it to run. and yes you could possibly get a bad model of the patriot but mine wasn't :)

Forced me to buy a Toyota

by Unhappy from Colorado | April 14, 2014

I bought the 08 Patriot as our second Jeep Product. Within 3 years we have had the tranny replaced 3 times. Can't drive it beyond 50 miles or it whines and over heats. We had to rent a car to go visit family beyond the 50 mile mark. When I asked to borrow a company car while it was being looked at, they apologized as the company car was having problems. The company loaner car was an 08 Patriot (Absolutely true story!) Jeep would not fix it or take it back. So disappointed that I sold both Jeeps and drive a Toyota now. Even my kids comment, "I wonder if that car whines", when they see another Jeep. Thanks Jeep as you probably lost future sales from two current and two future car owners.

Uncomfortable, cheap made

by Prefer my truck from Florida | February 24, 2014

I got one of these from a family member. Drove it for five years. It's full of ugly bulky plastic that I constantly banged my head and legs on and I'm only 5'4". The back seat is very uncomfortable and the cargo area is tiny if you have the back seats in use. The head rest on the front seat is always in my way. If I have a clip or barrette in my hair I have to drive bend forward, so it doesn't get caught on the head rest.The gear shift is real touchy. Can't tell you how many times it got knocked by accident into manual, while stopped at a light. As soon as the warranty was up things started breaking. Maintance/repair over five years cost me as much as 10 years with my other vehicle. Even a battery had to be a special expensive one. On the positive side, it handles great and has excellent acceleration. Takes off like sports car.

Worst Vehicle Owned - Jeep Patriot

by Kerwin Maude from Vancouver, Canada | February 24, 2014

We bought our 2008 Jeep Patriot new and paid cash (no bank loans) with a trade-in. A few months after driving it off the lot, our endless nightmares began with chronic 5-speed manual transmission repairs, down times of no transportation, waiting times and lost value in a substandard product. We had over 4 factory warranty major repairs and the company even replaced the whole transmission with a new one. The gears were constantly grinding (not my driving as manager echoed that fact) and the company estimated Jeep Canada lost about $13,000 in repairs, parts and labour on a $25,000 vehicle that was a "lemon". After being a regular face in the dealership with their sales manager and service manager we were deeply stressed and frustrated. The sales manager (no big deal - failed to give us customer satisfaction) wrote a letter in support of our claims and the stack of warranty repairs, typical Jeep Canada failed miserably to solve the crisis and merely "rubber stamped " the dealership following warranty protocols. Jeep lost our confidence, lost our respect and I would neither recommend the dealership nor the product. We finally got rid of our headache with a better product at a better car lot and have been trouble free for 2 years. Nobody should have to suffer what we endured. Records, statements and repair paper work do not misrepresent the truth...we need to overhaul the auto industry in many ways for the benefit of the consumer not the companies. We felt uneasy driving it locally or going across the border and heard similar stories from other customers. Maybe some had good experiences with automatics but manual transmissions in this car was nothing less than an intense throbbing headache that was unacceptable. We should not be afraid of factual truths or poor ratings that are deserved including bulky handing on the roads and around turns. Kerwin Maude

Very relaible transportation

by jeep Enthusiast from South, Texas | February 23, 2014

I bought this vehicle new in late 2008, it has 120,000 miles as of January 2014. I have done required maintenance. Only problem had to replace alternator at 108,000. There are no rattles and it is holding up very well. It went in for the 5 year warranty check recently no problems found. I bought this vehicle because I drive a lot and it get better gas mileage than my Dakota pickup. I am a big guy and it is easy to get in and out of, and is very comfortable to sit in for long rides. I have made trips from California to Texas and back, 3 adults and a 15 year old plus luggage. I would recommend this vehicle without reservation.

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR

by Hannah from | January 27, 2014

the 08' Jeep Patriot is my first car. I've had it for about two years now. I'm 18 years old and I have had trouble with my car since I drove it off the lot. I've had to get the main computer replaced just shortly after my purchase and now the problem has shown up again. I've also had to get a few censors replaced, a new battery, and wheel barrings. All together, I have put in way too much money on this car than it is worth. I'm about to go off to college and I need something reliable. This is not the car for me or anyone who needs reliability over looks.