2009 Jeep Patriot

2009 Jeep Patriot
Available in 4 styles:  2009 Jeep Patriot 4dr 4x4 shown

23 city / 28 hwy

Overall

Biggest mistake of my life.

by StoneBone from Tallahassee, FL | March 16, 2014

I have never owned a car that was created with such shoddy craftsmanship as the Jeep patriot. I purchased this SUV used, as a second owner, and this is by far the worst vehicle I have ever owned. At the time of the purchase, the vehicle was still well under the 36,000 mile bumper-to-bumper manufacturer's warranty and was two years old. After the first rainstorm, the sunroof leaked all over the carpet and spewed out of the dome light and on to my lap after the first right hand turn. When I say leak, what I actually mean is this thing created a 3 inch deep lake in the rear passenger footwell that consumed the entire area of the footwell. The water also leaks to the front footwell, shorting out the vehicle electronics. When the vehicle electronics short out, the car will not shut off after being started, and the electronics click off and on all night, until it wears the battery down. When taken to the Chrysler dealership 3 times while under the warranty (with technical service bulletin in-hand demonstrating step-by-step how to fix the exact problem) they decided to ignore the instructions and proceeded to run a hose over the sunroof, claiming that they couldn't see a problem. If they would've spent a minute to run water through the drain tubes, the problem would've been identified. When I reported the issue to Chrysler, they made half-hearted promises to help get the issue resolved, but they really didn't do anything to resolve the matter. Chrysler has denied fixing anything with this vehicle since the warranty ran out, and I'm still stuck with this pile of scum of a vehicle. Please avoid any year of the Jeep Patriot at all cost, and steer clear of Chrysler. The dealerships are aware of this problem (the service manager informed me) but they continue to sell leaking patriots in 2014+

Good Car for the Money

by Chinacatrider from Apalachin, NY | June 30, 2013

We have owned the car for a month. It gets good gas mileage for a Jeep, approx 28mpg hwy. It has plenty of utility space. This was a perfect car for our family. The car we purchased was stripped down... ie. manual locks and windows. However they are "endearing" as my 18 year old puts it. The car has a nice sound system and air conditioning. It is a comfortable car even with the jeep suspension. Over all I would recommend this car for a family that is looking for a reliable utility vehicle.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

great car great deal

by ace from lombard il. | December 18, 2012

a great car for a great the guys at century went out of thier way to please us count be happier thanks

Pretty Giid so far... Minus One thing

by YEE! from San Jose, CA | April 16, 2012

Great on gas, great design... the only thing was the dome light began to leak water under heavy rain. The "drain rails" in the sunroof got clogged and for $150.00 Jeep will fix it. Only terrible thing do far, I'm at 69,000 miles.. so we will see.

Great Family Car

by Bassam from | January 1, 2012

Bought it three years ago, has been very dependable vehicle. Good value for the money. I bought an extended warranty which proved worth it.

Many well known defects

by Patriothead from | October 30, 2011

I purchased my 2009 limited 4x4 fd1 brand new in 09. I always liked the exterior design as it reminded me of the old cherokee sports and when chrysler went bk in 09 i took advantage and got $7500 off. Too many well known problems on this vehicle though. Three water leaks (front and rear dome light leaks, front passenger floor leak). These leaks are well known by chrysler and most patriot owners, yet chrysler corporate and dealerships deny knowing the problems. Other problems include 6cd changer broke twice (apparently they can't play mp3 rewritable discs?? Are you kidding me, it's a 2009 vehicle, not a 1989), Horrible smell in the heater that the dealer explained is common but not fixable, ball joints totally shot at 35900 miles (thank God for the warranty)! The gas tank is way too small, only 13.5 gallons. The gas mileage is ok, but you feel like you're filling up all the time. Also had a tire monitor prssure button break. I do actually like the cvt transmission and i like the way it rides when healthy, but way too many trips to the dealership for a brand new vehicle.

2009 Jeep Patriot Amazing Vehicle

by Jeep Lover from Irving, TX | May 2, 2011

This Jeep was everything I was looking for and more. I love how the Jeep Patriot looks. The exterior is tough yet shows a hint of femininity. The interior is durable and the features stand out showing why this is one of the best vehicles out there. As part of the Jeep family, the Patriot may not be able to live up to the Grand Cherokee or the Liberty or the Commander but the drive and look of this prestigious smaller Jeep is just what I was looking for. I love that you can move from automatic to manual. This is my first Jeep and I love it!!

My first Jeep

by CarNut from Ohio | May 21, 2010

This was my first Jeep and maybe last. I bought this vehicle due to good praise my mother told about her Grand Cheerokee over the years. I thought the Patriot would be ideal as it is smaller than a full Jeep(better fuel economy and practicality) and be easier to own. The overall fit and finish was very nice, although there was a rattle/squeak that comes from the passenger door panel when u hit bumps. I did have a breakdown where the vehicle wouldn't move and the brake lights would stay on(had to remove the fuse to disable). This turned out to be a faulty brake wire fixed by dealership non-warranty=280dollars. Now at 43k miles i have a bad rear brake rotor/pad that needs replaced, havent fixed this as of now. The gas mileage is not what I was expecting around 25-27 on hwy and 20-21 city, granted I have the Freedom Drive II and CVT transmission. Get the stick or 2wd for higher fuel economy. The biggest issue I have is the leak in the roof! This is apparently a known problem on the Patriot, I googled and found many others with same issue. I tried having Jeep pay for and fix...the dealership performed a repair which basically was some black gunk around gasket. The problem is still not fixed which became apparent in more rainy weather. This leak comes thru the front map light and also the rear cargo light. If heavy rain and vehicle is parked , when u take off in vehicle water will POUR from these locations and the roof liner in vehicle is saturated with water. If you buy this vehicle make sure you get something in writing that assure you this will be taken care of as it seems to be a design flaw. Google it! With all this said i still like my Jeep for it's all-weather handling, off-road capability, and the practicality. I would not get a Patriot in the future, I would opt for the larger and more reliable Grand Cheerokee. Goodluck!

My Cash for Clunkers Purchase

by Otho Nogo from Houston TX | May 4, 2010

I traded my 15 year old pickup in under the "Cash for Clunkers" program. With the program rebate and a Jeep rebate I paid an even $10,000 for this new Jeep. Best deal I have ever made. I got a trade in offer the other day for more than I paid. I miss power windows but otherwise I am very pleased.

Inexpensive SUV and safe

by chicago suburban driver from Chicago | April 26, 2010

I bought this last June for 15,000 and low APR. Unlimited warranty on engine and powertrain. The only issue is the noisy engine when accelerating. Once you are up to speed it is fine and does well on the highway even with the 2.0 liter engine. I had been worried about taking it on a highway trip but I drove 400 miles passing easily at 80 mph. I really like it because of its safety features and because of how well it handle in the snow- almost as good as my all wheel drive Subaru. It only has FWD.

Featured Services for this Jeep Patriot