Sharing a platform with the Jeep Compass and Dodge Caliber, the Patriot is supposed to be the most rugged of the three. It seats five people. To give its macho looks some teeth, the Patriot is available with two four-wheel-drive systems. The more capable of the two gets Jeep's Trail-Rated designation, meaning it's capable of meeting certain off-road standards for traction, water fording, ground clearance and more. The Patriot comes in Sport and Limited trim levels; its competitors include the Ford Escape and Kia Sportage.
New for 2010
There are no significant changes for 2010.
The Patriot has a seven-slot grille, rounded headlights and trapezoidal wheel-well openings. Trail-Rated Patriots have an extra inch of ground clearance, as do models with 17-inch wheels.
- Standard 16-inch steel wheels
- Optional 17-inch alloy wheels
- Standard body-colored grille, front and rear bumpers
- Optional sunroof
- Optional fog lamps
- Optional dual power mirror
Two rows of seats provide room for five, and the interior is trimmed in shades of gray or beige. The Patriot has several options, including a nine-speaker Boston Acoustics audio system with speakers that swing down from the liftgate. There's also a standard cargo-area dome light that can be removed and used as a flashlight.
- Available cloth, stain-resistant cloth or leather seating
- Standard air conditioning
- Standard illuminated cupholders
- Optional navigation system
Under the Hood
There are two engines available for the Patriot. The 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine and five-speed manual transmission are now rated at 23/29 mpg city/highway.
Buyers have three drivelines to choose from: front-wheel drive; Freedom Drive I four-wheel drive with lock mode; and Freedom Drive II Off-Road Package, a Trail-Rated four-wheel-drive system. Freedom Drive II has a continuously variable automatic transmission, which incorporates a low range for off-road driving. It also has hill descent control and Brake Traction Control.
- 158-horsepower, 2.0-liter four-cylinder with 141 pounds-feet of torque
- 172-hp, 2.4-liter four-cylinder with 165 pounds-feet of torque
- Standard five-speed manual transmission
- Optional continuously variable automatic transmission
- Front- or four-wheel drive
Safety features include:
- New standard active head restraints
- Standard side curtain airbags
- Standard electronic stability control with electronic roll mitigation
- Standard antilock braking system
- Standard traction control
- Standard Smart Key that immobilizes the engine in case of attempted auto theft
- Optional seat-mounted side-impact airbags (front only)
People Who Viewed This Car Also Viewed
Closest Dealers Listing this Car
Featured Services for the Jeep Patriot
- Sell your current car quickly and easily on Cars.com.