2012 Jeep Patriot

Available in 6 styles:  2012 Jeep Patriot 4dr 4x4 shown

Overall

Economy and Performance Could Be Better

by Matt from NEPA | June 30, 2015

I had this Jeep for a few days while my Cherokee was getting body work done. It was a Latitude trim with the 2.4 liter, CVT and Freedom Drive I. Comfort: Both front and outboard rear passengers have a decent amount of room. The rear, center passenger has insufficient leg and foot room thanks to the large drivetrain hump and cup holders mounted on the floor. Driving it, I did not feel cramped like I thought I would. The only thing that took getting used to is that there is a larger expanse of dashboard than I would've thought and it gives the sensation that you are sitting in the middle of the car. Performance: I know that this is an entry level Jeep and not a sports car but this thing is slow. I would think the main issue is the CVT. From a stop, it takes a long time to get up to cruising speed and passing should be planned well ahead of time. The 2014 and newer Patriots have a conventional 6-speed auto and I hear that helps a bit. The thing that I do like about the CVT is it feels more comfortable cruising the highway as there is no shifting... at least until you look at the tach and realize that you are cruising at 3-3.5K RPMs! Fuel economy is also a problem. I'm sure the small 13 gallon tank doesn't help but this thing seems to suck the fuel down. I was given the Jeep with a half tank and drove it in total less than 200 miles and used roughly a little more than a tank's worth in that time. I was loaned this car in the summer so I can't say on the 4x4 performance but I hear these are quite good. Exterior Styling: I think Jeep nailed it here. I love the XJ style looks and think it looks much better than the Compass. Even base 2wd models look pretty rugged. Interior Design: Keep in mind this is an entry level Jeep that was designed in the mid-2000s so it's not going to have the latest infotainment options or touch screens. There is something to be said about the simple, straight forward controls. From turning on the lights to adjusting the AC, everything is easy to figure out without a rocket science degree. It didn't have a touch screen but it had the optional Boston Acoustics sound system which sounded great. The swing-down rear speakers and the rechargeable flashlight are great little features. I think manual mode on the transmission could use it's own gate instead of the push and hold setup. Everything seemed to be well assembled and the Jeep did have a nice solid feel. Even the 4WD lock switch which I was expecting to be flimsy felt solid. The materials quality isn't the best I've seen but it is a Jeep after all so that can be excused. Value For the Money: As I understand it, the Patriot is the most affordable SUV out there and it seems like you can get a decently equipped model for a good price. My only reservations about this car are the acceleration and fuel economy. It depends on how much that is worth to you against the monetary deal you can get. Reliability: I can't say as I only had this car a few days.

2012 jeep patriot

by jake. from louisville ,kentucky. | April 4, 2015

The 2012 jeep patriot is a good car except the shock absorbers are terrible, it feels as if you have no shocks and you feel every bump that you go over. The gas mileage should be better for such a light weight vehicle, it does'nt handle so well with crosswinds you have to hold the steering wheel tighter than normal. If you buy one knew don't get sucked into using Synthetic oil, you will pay more than double for a oil change. At 32000 miles expect to hear your brakes start sqeeking.

No reason to complain

by Average Guy from Memphis, TN | December 6, 2014

I purchased a new Jeep Patriot in May 2012. I had never owned a Jeep product before and didn't know what to expect. What I got was a great vehicle. I like everything about the vehicle. I've read complaints from some that the engine is noisy, but I've found that the engine noise level is about what you would expect from any 4 cylinder engine. I have had absolutely no problems with my Patriot and been completely satisfied with the ride. My 2012 Patriot gave me a lot of car for the money. I've been very happy with my purchase.

Wont buy another Jeep

by Med380 from Baltimore, MD | March 4, 2014

I have a 2012 Jeep Patriot Sport 4x4 brand new, I use it primarily for a 22 mile commute to work totaling 44 miles a day. first 1k miles started to hear a terrible loud squeak while in reverse coming from the rear brakes. Took it in they replaced the brakes and rotors, still squeaks. at around 12k had to have my water pump and front right tie rod replaced. I currently have 32k miles on it and it sounds like I go off roading everyday and the roads aren't that bad here in MD. I mostly do interstate driving. I will never own another Jeep again. I can't stand this car and I get the worst gas mileage.

2012 JEEP PATRIOT

by TBIRD from pittsburgh | February 17, 2014

Now have over 38,000 and the only thing I've done is oil changes and yearly inspections. Replaced tires at 28,000. Very well equipped with heated seats and remote start. Excellent in snow and very reliable. I have 2.4l engine with CVT tranny. Getting all around driving 23-24 mpg. I drive to work 26 miles 1 way and wife uses a lot. On trip this past summer I got 27-28 highway mpg. Still rock solid suspension and handles very well with NO squeaks or rattles. This fall I will probably look at 2014 Patriot since Its the last year of production (even though they are selling pretty well) and I really do like the styling and reliability that I had with my 2012. I don't care for new Jeep Cherokee styling and I would never buy a 1st model year vehicle. If I had one complaint it would be the size of gas tank (14 gal) Wish It would have been 18+ gal.

Good car for the money but poor on the output

by jeep man from san diego, ca | January 30, 2014

I do love my patriot. It is a 2013 sport FWD. While the car looks like a regular jeep, and can kind of drive off road like a jeep it is definetly not a regular jeep. The cars performance is orrible. Driving up to 60 mph seems like it takes years to do. It is noisy when accelerating and slow. So very slow. On top of the extreme lack of speed the vehicle goes through gas in a rate i do not understand. While it only costs around $40 to fill the tank it seems to run through the first half within a 100 miles. At first I was averaging around 250 miles per tank but now I am getting almost 185 full tank. Needless to say I wish I spent a little bit more on a better vehicle. You get what you pay for I guess but I am upset that such a poor performer has a jeep name tag. Apart from the performance the interior room is great and spacious. The radio is good and the bluetooth works better than many others out there. The comfort of the ride is what you would expect from a car under $20,000 so I cannot refer to it as bad but as comfortable as cheap can get. Would I get one for myself again? No. Would I get one for a soccer mom? Yes.

Great Compact SUV

by Robofuzz from Austin, TX | July 3, 2013

After looking at several options for compact SUVs, we bought a used 2012 Jeep Patriot Latitude with the 2.4 motor and 20,000 miles on it. I have been very happy with the styling, the comfort, the cargo space, and especially the gas mileage. A great little SUV!

2012 Patriot Base Model

by Tommy from Casco, ME | March 30, 2013

I purchased my Patriot 11 months ago as a commuter vehicle. It has FWD and a 5 speed stick. No frills, reliably gets 32+ mpg. Not very peppy, so if you want to pass someone, you'd better be thinking ahead. It's not loud inside like the automatic seemed to be. For less than 15 grand new, it's better than a cramped sub-compact. I would definitely buy another one.

Not good,It's GREAT

by JEEPSTER from Australia | January 8, 2013

Apart from the controls wrong side,indicators,bonnet catch wipers.Mine has lockable fuel cap.Price is great,People have not looked at my car since I had a customised high rider with twin rocket pipes and a radical custom job.Too much to mention always wanted jEEP but they were always big 4 Ltr Jobs.mine is black cvt but looks the part.I was looking at the new Toyota ugly excuse for a crowd pleaser,junk.

Great little suv !

by Beaker from Upstate N.Y. | December 23, 2012

I`ve only had this Patriot 1 month (1300 miles ), but I am very surprised at how capable it is in deep snow and off road. Got the trail rated model with FD 2 package and couldn`t be happier. MPG`s is in the mid 20`s with winter grade fuel and new engine, expect better when car is broke in fully.