2013 Kia Optima Hybrid

Starting MSRP

Overall

So far a great car.

by Dallas Mike from Dallas, TX | August 4, 2014

I've owned my Optima Hybrid LX for about 3 months now and have about 4,000 miles on it. Love the look and so far it's a great car. Ride is comfortable, lots of options for the money, and I'm averaging mid-30's with manually calculated milage. Living here in Texas, i've seen the mpg go down some as we've moved into the time of year where the air conditioning is on pretty much all the time I drive. I've also noticed that trips with hills tend to pull the milage down more compared to trips on relatively flat land. The indicated mpg on the computer seems to be about 1 to 3 miles per gallon more optimistic than what I calculate. All said, coming from a Sonata turbo where I was averaging 25-27 overall, I'm very happy with the increased milage (I do miss the turbo power at times, but the Optima has plenty of power for normal driving). Blind spots on the rear corners is there, you just have to make sure you're checking them. I've put a small convex mirror up to the right of the rearview mirror, aiming it towards the right side blind spot area, and that really helps. It' one of the small mirrors they sell to watch kids in the back seat. Fit and finish is great, and I've noticed that both Kia and Hyundai have made great progress to the point that their vehicles compare well to the Japanese brands. You do seem to get a lot more for your money compared to Toyota, Honday, Nissan, etc. So far no issues that I've had to take in for warranty, but I feel secure that with the extensive warranty I'm covered if something does come up.

Test Drive Sold Me

by New Tree Hugger from Chicago Suburbs | May 25, 2014

When I started looking for a midsize sedan with good gas mileage, the Kia Optima Hybrid kept popping up. I was always concerned about how much power a hybrid would give me. Though I don't need a 4 second 0-60mph time, I wanted to be able to pass someone if I had the opportunity. As I started reading more about the Optima, I read some reviews mentioning there was a rough transition from electric to gas. With a good $$ point and lots of features, I decided to test drive it anyway just to see. I was VERY glad I did. Yes, it is LOADED with great features, even for the base model. The cabin is super comfortable and driver-centric, which I liked (the center console is tilted slightly towards the driver). Mind you, I'm coming from a base model 2004 Chevy Cavalier, but I was REALLY happy with the amount of power the Kia gives me. As far as the transition from electric to gas, I chuckled because to me, it felt like a regular gear change. I thought other reviewers were being extra picky about that. If I had to criticise anything, it would be that it was a little sluggish to kick in the extra power, but that's only if I had to be extra picky. It wasn't that bad. I am really happy with my purchase and I suggest if you're thinking/leaning towards getting a hybrid, check out the Optima.

This is a complete ride!!!!!

by topgator44 from Orlando,Fl | March 4, 2014

I traded my 2003 Lexus LS430 for this, and couldn't be happier. My Lexus was in excellent condition, but was just getting old. This car is everything! The mileage is about 38 MPG in town. But I haven't actually done the math .It handles, is quick, and rides great and quiet. It takes a lot to impress a Lexus owner. The car does it. My motto is, "I go to a gas station, and sell them back gas!!!!!!!! To boot, I bought this '13 as a leftover, and got it for a steal!!

Love the car

by Realtor from Glendale AZ | January 16, 2014

The car drives like a sports car, very comfortable. I bought the hybrid for the gas mileage, which is not as great as I expected, averaging 36 mpg, they advertise 37 to 40.

Great Change and Great Car

by Ebiron from Denver CO | December 21, 2013

Now I am on day 2, I just traded in my Kia Sorento 2011 for this car. So far it is amazing, just the gas milage alone but it is also a lot faster than I ever thought a hybrid would be, but the real key to fuel savings is all in the acceleration, if you are always a lead foot to start, your gas mileage will not be good as stated. I Will update in 90 days on gas milage, though I live 2 miles from work. But now I will need to drive somewhere...

MPG disappointing

by KiaOptimaHybridDriver from Oregon | December 5, 2013

We've driven our 2013 KOH 12000 miles and average a terrible 33mpg, with 80%+ freeway miles. The onboard computer says 37mpg, so do your calculations by hand based on fuel ups and miles driven to be sure about your mpg. The car is beautiful and comfortable to drive. There are huge blind spots when changing lanes, pretty scary! Passenger seat is very low, difficult to see out, even for tall people. Driver seat is adjustable on standard model.

Awesome Car

by JB at Purdue from West Lafayette, IN | November 6, 2013

I've only owned the car for 5 days. From this short time I've ascertained 2 things: - Plenty of Luxury for the Price - Ride is smooth and quiet

Love this car

by Kia from New jersey | September 27, 2013

Smooth quite ride,great pick up on highways. Getting 38 mpg city driving, 48 mpg highway. Very comforable. Back up camera, navigation, sound system, sirius all great features. Love driving this car.

Happy Hybrider

by Converted to Kia from Roanoke, VA | September 2, 2013

Having driven a different brand for 30 years it was a big decision to switch to Kia but I'm glad I did. I have only put 200 miles on my Optima so far but have enjoyed every minute behind the wheel. The car is fun to drive and I expect the kind of reliability of the other brand but with the better styling of the Kia.

Finely tuned and efficient like a Stradivari

by Dr. WB from Northbrook, IL | August 17, 2013

I am a raving fan of this car and love the hybrid's surprisingly smooth, quiet, and responsive ride. The remarkable fuel economy is STUNNING. 41-44 MPG in the city. I love the blue tooth, the styling, and the interior layout of the car. Such a pleasure to drive. I also love the way the engine shuts off completely at a stop. So peaceful to drive this car.