2012 Kia Optima

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Great Car

by Bryan from Milwaukee, WI | June 19, 2014

My first foreign car, wow this car is great. Gas mileage has been upper 20's for city & hwy driving. Great pick up to take off or pass on the hwy. Inside is comfortable, cooled seats are outstanding. dash board could have been designed a little better. Still a little confusing after 30 days. Overall I am very happy with my purchase so far.

2012 Kia Optima LX

by More Than Satisfied from Cleveland, OH | May 8, 2014

Bought this used a couple months back, and got an incredible deal - well below market. Have not regretted the decision once. Pretty good pickup for an I-4, presumably from the direct fuel injection. Fuel economy has been better than expected. Add to that the great looks both inside and out and you can't help but like it.

Love the car

by Mikee from Toronto ON | March 10, 2014

I have owned this car for 61,000KMs. It has impressive exterior and interior styling and above average performance. Reliability has not been an issue at all. I would say that comments about seats being too firm are true, but not a deal breaker. MPG isnt quiet as good as advertised unless you are driving in ECO mode and being very gentle with the throttle. If you want to really feel the turbo kick in and experience the cars impressive performance you will pay a price in gas milege. This however is not a 2012 Kia Optima problem this would apply to most cars on the market. I highly recommend this car if you want an above average car at a below average price.

2013 KIA Optima SX

by Love my Optima from Brooklyn NY | December 16, 2013

I bought the car in December 2012 and have put 12000 miles on it after one year. The ride is smooth and the power of the turbo is great. The features are very good but I wish it had the blind spot monitoring system built into the side mirrors. I wasn't sure about buying a KIA because I never heard much about the company and I was worried about reliability. As of one year and 12000 miles I have had no problems. Pros: Great looks, good acceleration, reliability, warranty. Cons: No spare tire, gas mileage is not as good as was advertised. I would recommend this car to a friend.

Comforability

by Houseman from Jasper, IN | November 21, 2013

I've had my Optima for a little over a month now, and have no complains so far. The exterior of the car is very stylish and the interior is no different. I especially like the accessibility of all the features on the steering wheel and dashboard. The color scheme in red and white is a nice touch as well.

Best car I ever owned

by Experienced driver from Quebec, Canada | October 2, 2013

This car is very good and has a very attractive look. Very well equipped'. My car is a Optima EX GDI 2012. Best value for the money spent. Also the service is very good at KIA

2012 Kia Optiama SX

by Car Enthusiast from Orlando, FL | August 18, 2013

About a month owner of this fine machinery, rides well and smooth on the road. Was surprised how far Kia improved it's self from the past. I had a 2008 Sierra Denali love this truck had everything, was hesitant of getting a Kia, because of past reviews. But I'm sure glad I did the SX with the turbo is so nice love the quick response and the "fuel mileage " compared to my usual mpg of 15 with my Denali, to 22 city and 30 highway hand calculated is amazing. From all the other reviews I read there is that wind noise you hear on both the driver and passenger side right in between the A and B pillar. You only hear it once you're at highway speed. But that's my only con for this vehicle, looking forward to what Kia will bring out in the future.

Kia optima 2012 Lx, 23k

by Optima Lx 2012 from houston texas | July 7, 2013

Hi my name is Joe, i owned a 2012 kia optima Lx, pearl white. I bought the car a year ago, and now i have 23k miles on it. I do my own oil changes, air filter changes. I use mobile 1 full synthetic oil and only genuine kia parts for oil filters and air filters because of warranty purposes. i have to give it up to Kia for a great vehicle, they did a great job on the design and all around its a great car. My friends loves to drive my car, i take the car for long trips and my friends wants to drive it every time they get a chance. The feeling when your get inside the driver seat is like being in a Cockpit, because everything face toward the driver and it makes you feel like your definitely in control of your car and ride, its a great feeling. i hit 23k miles on the car within a year period, and so far i have to say good performance and good fuel millage. Overal Rating for this car out of 10, i would give it a 9.5.

Great style, don't trust the MPG

by Long Drives from Fort Mill, SC | June 24, 2013

I loved the look of this car as soon as they redesigned it, couldn't believe it was a KIA. I researched and researched this model and other mid-sized sedans and ended up comparing everything to the Optima. Finally, I pulled the trigger. It was the one of the most comfortable cars to drive, had the most room on the inside and in the trunk, great features, and what I thought was top notch MPG. I settled on the EX with the premium package (great premium features in that package). I was going for luxury without the high price tag and I got it this car. I was trading up from a 2006 Pontiac Vibe, and what I found out quickly was I got better gas mileage in the Vibe. The tank in the Optima is much bigger and I can go twice as far on one tank but when I calculate the MPG when I fill up, the best I can get is 30MPG. 80-90% of my driving is highway miles so I was expecting over the "average" 35 Highway MPG that was on the sticker. I used to get 33 MPG with my Vibe driving the same routes that I do today. I've tracked just about every fill up since I've owned the vehicle (about 10 months at the time of this review) and the the range is 24 to 30 MPG, I'm averaging 28 which is just above what KIA will tell you the average is (26 MPG combined). I just don't want anyone to think they'll be getting 35 MPG when they buy this car. It's just not possible unless you are driving 60 MPH on a flat road for 8 hours straight with no stops. I have no idea how they did their tests to make these claims but real world driving doesn't equate to that. I've made many trips in this car since I've owned it and in no scenario does it get better than 30.3 MPG. I've tried just about everything, tire pressure, ECO mode, cruise control, etc. I've tried to account for any variables. The trip computer shows you a number but it as soon as you get off the highway that MPG average drops. I can't trust that number either. Now, all in all I do recommend the car. I do love driving it and wish I could have afforded the SX model with the sport suspension but I don't want anyone to make a decision to buy this because of the MPG on the sticker. The heated AND cooled seats are very neat, the panoramic sunroof is cool too. I'm having an issue with the UVO radio but other than that the car has performed well for the first 13,000 miles.

Head Turner 2012 SX

by rrwilliams64 from Warren, OH | April 20, 2013

I wanted the SX with Technology package. Fully loaded, every option...Turbo, Navigation, Panoramic sunroof, rear camera, heated/cooled seats, heated steering wheel, and numerous other goodies. With the performance and styling of the SX package, it has a European feel- "athletic" in its more tightly tuned suspension yet still very comfortable. Road and driving feel is tangible with the perfectly balanced steering. (Note, the SX has the MUCH better performance of the Hankook tires rather than the lacking Nexen brand of the EX. Night and day) Styling is sporty and aggressive without overreaching. I've had numerous queries re: "what car is that?". I got black on black, tastefully (and legally) tinted the glass, opted for the premium rims Quite the distinctive looker. And lastly...a 5 yr/60K warranty bumper to bumper? That's just icing on the cake. What's not to love? Drive an Optima, Altima, Accord, Camry and Mazda 6 (similar trim lines) and you'll realize the same...the Optima is the clear class leader in performance and value.