2012 Kia Optima

Available in 4 styles:  2012 Kia Optima 4dr Sedan shown

Overall

Expired warranty, expired reliability

by Expired warranty, expired reliability from Georgetown, KY | August 3, 2016

My 2012 Kia Optima hit 75,000 and has needed a new fuel pump and a new compressor within months of eachother. Over $1,700 in repairs! I'm wondering what is going to go wrong next. I have had a Honda CRV and a Subaru Legacy both with over 100,000 miles and no problems what-so-ever. My next car will definitely not be a Kia....probably another Subaru.

Best car I have ever owned

by Kari from Astoria, Oregon | July 18, 2016

My 2012 Kia Optima is the best and most reliable car that I have ever owned It has 90,000 miles on it. I have never had any problems. I am afraid to ever buy another car. This one is the best ever.

BEST CAR I EVER OWNED!

by BurtmanMN from Minneapolis MN | February 12, 2016

I am sad to read of those who had bad luck with this car. I bought mine brand new EX, NON turbo with all the other goodies. It was the best bang for the buck and I loved the look. I had a Hyundai Sonata before and love it so I got this instead this time. The first year I had to get use to it but time went by and l learned to love the car and its long list of features. I never had any problems with the car. I normally get a new car every 4 years but now in 2016 with 60000 miles on the car. I made the decision to keep the car another 4 years instead of trading it in. I purchased new tires and had a all the maintenance done. One week ago I got into a really bad accident where the font end was tore off my car and then I was hit in the rear by another car going 60 MPH. in about 4 seconds my beloved optima was nothing but a cab and totaled out. People looked at the pictures and could not believe I walked away without a scratch. I just bought another 2016 KIA Optima today. I would recommend this car to anyone.

Very Reliable indeed

by Happy Camper from Freehold, Nj | November 4, 2015

I bought kia its been pretthy sweet. No problems here the interior is beautiful. Th car drives smooth no complains on my part. It doesn what i need it to do

2012 KIA OPTIMA HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP STINKS

by SADKIAOWNER from MOBILE, ALABAMA | April 22, 2015

POTENTIAL KIA CUSTOMERS BEWARE!!!!!! WE HAVE A 2112 KIA OPTIMA NON TURBO. AT 56,000 MILES WE FILLED UP WITH GAS WHILE SOMEWHERE ON A TRIP. WE DROVE HOME WITH NO ISSUES. THE NEXT DAY MY WIFE STARTED TO GO TO TOWN AND THE CAR WOULD NOT RUN, LONG START, ROUGH IDLE AND WOULD NOT HARDLY GET UP TO SPEED . TOOK TO DEALER, THEY SAID GAS HAS WATER IN IT AND DESTROYED THE HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP. KIA WILL NOT COVER IT UNDER WARRANTY BUT THEY WILL BE GLAD TO FIX IT FOR $ 1147.00 OUT OF POCKET! NICE. BEWARE!!

kia optima

by Pre from Baltimore,md | April 12, 2015

My first Kia Optima 2012, I'm pleased with the interior and exterior of the vehicle. I have several concerns first concern that my transmission slips sometimes and my breaking system is horrible. I will not buy another Kia car due to the performance, I don't know if it's just only my Kia car or not .

More for Less

by Bigs from cleveland,ohio | March 17, 2015

I purchased my 2012 optima ex new and now have roughly 87000 miles on it in less than 4 years and it has never been back to the dealer for repairs other than the usual oil changes and yes my 3rd set of tires.I have been in the Automobile industry for over 40 years now and must say i was definetly surprised by this car.

Stylish sedan, not without its faults

by Buyer's Remorse from Chicago suburb | January 21, 2015

I've had my 2012 Kia Optima LX for about 2.5 years now (13K miles, 23.7 MPG). Bought it new after looking at some other brands in the same class. The looks are phenomenal and the acceleration is impressive but my 20 minute test drive was obviously not enough to get a real feel for the car. PRO - Cost - Styling - Pickup - Sport shifting - Bluetooth capability - USB port - Love it! (I have many music CDs on a USB stick.) Never listen to radio, CD player, or Sirius. CON - OEM Nexen tires are, by far, the very worse tires I have ever had! Even wrote the manufacturer looking for replacements. Of course, I never got a response. - No spare tire! Bought one online for $180 shipped. (Hey car designers! If you're not going to put in a spare, make all that wasted empty trunk space easily accessible!). - Way too much road noise. - Voice control for Bluetooth is problematic but maybe I talk too loud to it! ;-) - Passenger seat is too low with no up/down adjustment. Aftermarket risers are available but dealer will not install these "not-KIA" parts. Wife hates riding in the car. - A poorly fitting driver's door that never should have passed quality control; adjustments at the dealer still could not get it right. - Poor clearcoat/paint quality. - Electronic steering that, while responsive, constantly needs to be corrected making for a tiring drive. - Even with the lumbar support, I don't find the driver's seat all that comfortable. - Blind spots (that's what you get with a sloping roof line). A backup camera is a must and should be offered as a separate item. (This gets resolved in 2016 when backup cameras are mandatory by law.) - Interior materials are inferior. Unlike every other car I've owned over the years, this one is just not keeping me smiling. I still find myself looking for that next new drive. Recommended with caveats. Old adage: You get what you pay for.

An all-around winner

by A car guy from Alaska | October 7, 2014

The Optima is superb. I've owned many cars, probably around 50, and frequently rent cars in my travels. I've owned sports cars from MGs to Porches and Vettes, sedans from Simcas to Rolls-Royce, including two Mercedes currently in my garage. You might be surprised to hear that the Optima is my all-around favorite. I have found only one fault with the car, and that I will reveal at the end. Price and value: I bought new, dealer offered a discount and I got several KIA discounts. My depreciation has averaged less than $100 a month for 30 months of ownership so far. Warranty: Everyone who follows cars already knows that KIA and sister-company Hyundai offer the best warranty in the business. Looks: Aggressive, masculine design which I believe will wear well for the 10 years I plan to keep the car. My opinion is that compared to the 2012 Sonata, for example, the Optima starts out better and will resist looking dated much better. Economy: The EPA numbers understate what the car is capable of getting. It gets 42 -46 mpg cruising on the highway doing 60 mph, plus or minus 5 mph. On most fill ups I average about 37 mph overall. Performance: I chose the 4-cyl. standard engine, which is rated at 200 hp. I seldom ask for quick acceleration; however, if you put the pedal down at highway speeds, be prepared to be amazed. It jumps from cruising to passing speeds, say 60 to 80, in a few quick seconds. Comfort: I have driven some 700 mile days in the Optima, and been comfortable all through the drive. The one fault the car has is that the front passenger seat is a couple of inches too low, and has no height adjustment. Rear seat knee room is surprisingly generous. The Optima beats the competition in interior volume. Conclusion: I couldn't be more pleased or impressed. This car has made me a big believer in GDI. The performance and economy are testament to this efficiency. The Optima beats the Cam-Acc-Alt competition hands down, and could compete with the Lex ES class and the Avalon.

Terrible Reliability

by Review Writer from Iowa | October 7, 2014

I have owned the 2012 Kia Optima SX for about a year now, and i have had to take it in for engine issues 4 different times. I'm very disappointed in my experience, all issues with the power train, all engine related. I'm currently looking for a different vehicle.