The Rio5 is Kia's version of a sporty European hatchback. The Rio5 is related to Kia's Rio sedan, which is listed separately in the Cars.com Research section. The Rio5 comes in moderately equipped LX and sporty SX trim levels. Kia's Rio5 hatchback competes with other small hatchbacks, including the Chevrolet Aveo5, Honda Fit and Toyota Yaris.
New for 2010
Rio gets a minor facelift with a revised grille and front and rear bumpers, and there are turn-signal indicators integrated into the side mirrors. The SX adds new alloy wheels and a chrome exhaust outlet. Inside, there is an optional voice-activated Bluetooth capability and a second front power outlet (replacing the cigarette lighter). All models now have a tire pressure monitoring system and red-orange interior lighting, and those with an automatic transmission add an EcoMinder indicator that glows green to denote efficient driving.
Created with a European-inspired exterior, the Rio5 features a black mesh grille and swept-back headlights. The wheel well openings have a sculpted design, and it's equipped with body-colored mirrors.
- Available 14-, 15- or 16-inch wheels
- Standard auto-off headlights
- Optional power heated mirrors
- Optional rear spoiler and fog lamps
The Rio5 can seat up to five and has a 60/40-split folding rear bench. The Rio5 SX has chrome dashboard accents and red stitching on the steering wheel, gearshift knob and door panels. A USB connector is standard.
- Available cloth or sports-cloth upholstery
- Standard air conditioning
- Standard Sirius Satellite Radio
- Optional power windows and locks
- Optional keyless entry
- Optional steering-wheel-mounted controls
- Optional leather-wrapped steering wheel and gearshift and metal-finished pedals
Under the Hood
- 110-horsepower, 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine with 107 pounds-feet of torque
- Standard five-speed manual transmission
- Optional four-speed automatic transmission
- Standard speed-sensitive power steering
The Rio comes fairly well equipped with safety features.
- Standard side-impact airbags
- Standard side curtain airbags
- Standard child-safety locks
- Optional antilock brakes with rear discs