2009 Kia Rondo

2009 Kia Rondo
Available in 5 styles:  2009 Kia Rondo 4dr Station Wagon shown

Overall

5 years and the Rondo is still great.

by will from northern NJ | July 23, 2015

In 2010 I bought a 2007 Rondo with 36k miles on it. Five years later -- and several ROUND TRIP drives from NJ to SW Florida the Rondo is flawless. It has adequate power (2.4 liter), LOADS of carrying space, decent mileage (29 highway), a comfortable driving position and is the most space efficient and PRACTICAL car I've ever owned. I've done nothing more than routine maintenance (oil, tires, battery) and not driven it like a fool. It's been great. And since it has a timing CHAIN not a belt, no expensive repair coming up. Kia still sells the car worldwide as the Rondo/Carens and it's still a big seller in Canada. I guess Kia decided to drop it in the US because it would be directly competing with their very own Sportage. If you want a good reliable car but don't want to break the bank I would recommend it. Like any other car, just do the maintenance. I haven't had to use the warranty. I bought it for price and have been VERY happily surprised with the Rondo.

Noy a trust worthy car!

by DOLLLADY from Palm Bay, Florida | July 19, 2015

MY Kia is ok but not the best. I starting to not trust the car to get me back home. It seem to want to power off at t imes and no one knows why; maybe the engin problem I read about in this fourm. I'm on the road in the wee hours and this cars issues has me unsettled. The car does hadnle well, but within a month of me owning it all the plastc stuff inside started breaking, the eyeglass holder, the button that turn on the inside lights and one day a screw just fell out of sunvisor, It's an expensive cheap car with issues. I like the little card but I don't like problems and the is becoming a problem.

worst ever including Kia Mfg. support

by never buy Kia from rochester, ny | June 10, 2014

engine bit the dust 8 miles after warranty. Kia claimed no responsibility. Said not using Kia oil filters invalidated the warranty. Took it to closest local dealer before the 100,000 miles and THEY said "take it back where you bought it." NEVER AGAIN.

Say No to KIA

by jess from KC, MO | January 16, 2014

I was so excited when I bought my 2009 Kia Rondo used a year and a half ago. This is the first car I've ever bought by myself. I loved how roomy it was. I had it off the lot less than 3 days when I noticed that the car didn't start sometimes when I turned the ignition. I was really concerned about this. The dealership I went through paid to have Kia look the car over and of course they found nothing wrong. I learned over time to make sure that I turned every thing off (radio, hear, phone charger) before I started my car. The problem has grown. I have electrical problems now when I go over any puddles or over any type of snowy weather conditions. I'll have lights come on and off. My breaks stop working and my car will not accelerate properly while this is going on. I have taken it in and no mechanic can replicate the problem I am having with this car. I have called Kia to complain. My warranty has run out. I am in trouble and from what I've been hearing I am not the only one with this sort of trouble. I am very disappointed in this car.

2009 KIA Rondo

by Kim Goshen IN from Goshen IN | September 4, 2013

I bought this car when it was 1 year old. It's been one problem after the next since. Recently (2 mo ago) the cars check engine light came on and after 2 days I went to start it and it died right away. I tried to start it again and it made a horrible chain like sound and quit. My mechanic has had it apart twice to fix the timing chain only to find out it's a more serious problem, (defect) in the engine. Some kind of variable timing part in the engine. KIA is aware of this problem but never put a recall out because of the expense of having to replace all the engines. Basically, for KIA to fix it they want to charge me $9000. A used engine will cost me $1300 and the same problem will more that likely happen again. I still owe $9800 on this stupid car and have no idea what to do now. I don't have that kind of money just lying around. KIA should have to pay for their own careless mistakes not the consumer. Now I have a brand new well paying job with no car to get me there. Buy a KIA at your own risk. Check out all the problems that come with owning a KIA, not to mention that most of the parts have to come directly from the company and not an auto parts store. Very expensive. I will NEVER buy or lease a KIA again!!!!!

Best City Car I've Owned

by Urban Family Man from New York, NY | August 5, 2012

I bought a lightly used 2009 Kia Rondo about 4 months ago so it's too soon to comment on the vehicle's durability. So far, however, I am fantastically pleased with it -- though I can also see why Kia no longer sells the Rondo in the US. The Rondo is a genuine 7 seater -- 3 rows of seats, with the 3rd row folding flat for greater everyday storage. The good...and the bad...is that there is very little room behind that 3rd row of seats when they are folded up as seats. Now for someone like me who lives in New York City, the Rondo is absolutely fantastic -- it parks in the same size spot as your average sedan while having more true seating. And as a parent with 3 kids, this means that everyone can truly have a seat without being sardined 3-across in the 2nd row. However, if you live somewhere where there is an abundance of space, you'll probably want a true minivan that offers more internal storage in addition to that 3rd row. This is why I'm pretty sure the Rondo tanked in the US...and why it still sells OK in Europe. As for the rest of the vehicle, it is what it is. I got the 4 cyl because it has the lower maintenance timing chain (as opposed to the timing belt in the 6) and haven't noticed it to be appreciably noisier or slower than the 6. Let's face it, both vehicles are gonna be slow and not super quiet. Gas mileage is also distinctly mediocre, even with the 4. Ergonomics are great -- cup holders, pockets, everything seems to be just where they should be. The abundance of lighter sockets also ensures that you have power sprinkled throughout the vehicle. Overall, if reliability holds up, this will be a fantastic vehicle that I'll hold on to for years.

Great except

by have none from Carson CA | June 12, 2012

I am absolutely thrilled with my 2009 Rondo. The only think I am not satisfied with is the low-end gas mileage.

Love my Rondo

by Kia Convert from Grand Rapids, MI | November 15, 2011

I purchased a 2009 Kia Rondo that seats 7. It had very few miles on it, so it was practically new. It is a great car, very zippy, very affordable. No bells or whistles. I traded in a 2009 CR-V for it and that had loads of bells and whistles, but it couldn't seat 7. I really enjoy driving the Rondo. It handles well. I haven't had it in the winter yet. We'll see how it does in that. It does sit a little low, so I'm concerned about its performance in deep snow. We'll see!

Practical Family Automobile

by gml4 from Minneapolis, MN | May 21, 2011

We purchased a 2008 Kia Rondo EX with the V6 two years ago after comparing it to the Hyndai Sante Fe, and Suzuki LX7. It's advertised mileage, and affordability was the determination. Overall, it's been a great family car for the four of us. We do use our 3rd row on occasion and it works great for the kids. We have taken the vehicle camping several times, and driven to NY and NC (from MN) on two separate trips with great success. As long as you have decent tires, it makes a fine winter car. There is nothing fancy about the Kia Rondo. It rides a bit like a minivan, but handles like a large car. We've enjoyed the leather seats, seat warmers, 6 CD changer (until it broke). The V6 gives you good power when needed, but if you are gentle, you can get almost 30 MPG. I also installed a hitch receiver myself for a small utility trailer for more cargo space when needed. We have had reoccurring issues with the dash lights not staying on when it is raining, which is freaky when you are driving at night. Kia has been unable to replicate it when we take it in, however, so that has been a constant annoyance. Our family highly recommends the Kia Rondo!

worst car ive ever owned

by yuk from VERMONT | February 6, 2011

one problem after another...I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER KIA VEHICLE.....YOU COULDN'T GIVE ME ONE FOR FREE....

Featured Services for this Kia Rondo