Breaking with segment trends, the Rondo is much smaller than most other vehicles with three rows of seats. It slots below Kia's larger Sedona and competes with the other mini-minivan on the market, the Mazda5.
With the optional third-row bench, the Rondo can seat seven. The Rondo is available in base, LX or top-of-the-line EX trim levels. The LX and EX trims come with a choice of a four-cylinder engine or a small V-6.
New for 2009
The 2009 Kia Rondo gets a standard Sirius Satellite Radio with three months of free service and an available GPS navigation system.
The Rondo has a two-tier grille, large headlights and openings on each side of the bumper that can house optional fog lights. An accessory body kit includes fender flares and ground effects for visual flare.
At 179 inches long and 71.7 inches wide, the Rondo is slightly shorter and wider than the Mazda5.
- Available 16- or 17-inch wheels
- Standard power mirrors
- Standard automatic headlamps
- Standard roof rails (LX and EX)
- Optional sports body kit
- Chrome door handles and side moldings (EX)
- Power sunroof (optional on EX)
- Fog lamps (EX)
The Rondo has two standard rows of seats that can accommodate five people. A third row can fit two more, though larger passengers won't want to climb back there.
The Rondo's interior features rounded dashboard panels and air vents. The gauges and center controls have an orange illumination. The Rondo has some innovative storage solutions, including a dashboard shelf atop the glove compartment.
The second- and third-row seats fold nearly flat; a Rondo without the third row offers several partitioned compartments under the load floor. There's a maximum 155.9 cubic feet of passenger space with the optional third row. With all three rows up, the Rondo's cargo space is a cramped 6.5 cubic feet. Still, the Rondo beats out the Mazda5 for both passenger and cargo space.
- Standard air conditioning
- Standard power windows, locks and keyless entry
- Standard cruise control (LX and EX)
- Optional iPod cable
- Available heated front seats (optional on LX, standard on EX)
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shifter (standard on EX)
- Navigation system (optional on EX)
- Infinity six-disc CD changer with eight-speaker audio system (optional on EX)
- 50/50-split third-row bench (optional on LX, standard on EX)
Under the Hood
The Rondo comes with either a four- or five-speed automatic transmission, depending on the powertrain. Both transmissions have a gated shifter with a manual-shift mode.
- 175-horsepower, 2.4-liter four-cylinder with 169 pounds-feet of torque
- 192-hp, 2.7-liter V-6 with 184 pounds-feet of torque
- Four-speed automatic transmission with four-cylinder
- Five-speed automatic transmission with V-6
- Standard side curtain airbags
- Standard side-impact airbags
- Standard active head restraints in front
- Standard antilock brakes
- Standard electronic stability system